The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Top 5 Best Real Deal topics so far

by acedtect-20196213851867054973637995818137 / November 16, 2006 1:17 AM PST

The week of 12/18, I'll be recording two Real Deals, since we'll be on holiday the last week of December.

One of these shows will be the top 5 topics of the year. So please post with your favorite topic, and if you wish, your favorite part about that episode.

I'll revisit the top 5 topics in a year end episode.

You can see what topics we've done right jere:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-12518_7-6491288-2.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Top 5 Best Real Deal topics so far
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Top 5 Best Real Deal topics so far
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
3 best topics in my opinion
by aribeiro2 / November 16, 2006 3:22 AM PST

wimax

free software

net neutrality

some topics are good, some are not, but these 3 are the best
Grin

Collapse -
My list..
by archaeo1 / November 18, 2006 2:02 AM PST

1) DRM

2) Online Apps

3) Laptop Batteries

4) Unlocked cell phones

5) HDTV

Can wait for the dual podcasts!!

Collapse -
my votes
by beelissa / November 20, 2006 8:08 AM PST

Maker Faire

Ubuntu

Online Apps

Portable Apps

RSS

Though I haven't listened to the Free Software episode yet

Collapse -
My top 5
by cars4less201 / November 21, 2006 6:43 AM PST

5. Online Apps

4. Rss

3. WoW

2. Unlocked cell phones

1. Blogging, only the Basic but Inspired me a lot!

Collapse -
Best topics so far
by Cheesehead_001 / December 1, 2006 10:38 AM PST

Podcasting

Blogging

RSS

Freeware

HD Radio

I can't wait to find out!

Collapse -
Best Five Episodes
by dcf2000 / December 4, 2006 12:47 PM PST

The best five episodes, I must say, are:

1. Free Software - gotta give props to our programming homies (alright, I'm white, what of it?). Just as anyone who's waited tables gives better tips regardless of their income, anyone who has ever had to program before will pay more often for shareware. I never made it past Qbasic so I pay for shareware way more often than my colleagues.
2. WiMax - I've been waiting for this for years. I've got a WiFi network in my house but can't wait till the day when I cut all the wires. Tom renewed my hope for a wireless world.
3. HD Radio - This is one where the Real Deal title earned its name. I always thought the "HD" in "HD Radio" stood for high-defintion. As a matter of fact, if someone had asked me to pay for the privelege of receiving HD Radio I probably would have paid it if not for Tom's HD podcast. I think there is definitely a place for HD radio in every market but the radio stations have to take advantage of the technology. Thanks to Tom et al for clearing up my misconceptions before I potentially forked over my hard-earned cash.
4. BlueTooth - I appreciate the fact that SOMEONE is willing to devote some time and enery to those of us that are not fully comprehending a technical issue. I use BlueTooth almost every day, knew it was a low-power communication protocol, but knew little else about it until I listened to Tom's podcast. Kudos to Tom for putting out something on the web for Newbies of any sort - I'm considered an expert in a lot of technical areas but that doesn't mean I'm an expert in ALL areas.
5. AJAX - I'd read all about AJAX and Web 2.0 but didn't fully comprehend everything until after I'd listened to Tom's podcast. For those of us in the non-technical world who use technology everyday it's nice to get info from a techie from the non-techie world. Keep up the good work Tom - it's refreshing to see a journalist really dig into an area and continue to mine gold. Kudos!

Collapse -
My top 5 RD topics
by blackphoenix99 / December 6, 2006 11:53 PM PST

1) Online Shopping
2) DRM
3) AJAX
4) Phishing
5) Free Software

This is a great show and your time and effort is much appreciated.
Cheers.
Anders

Collapse -
My top picks
by Damien in Oz / December 7, 2006 7:33 AM PST

I have definitely enjoyed all episodes, many thanks Tom, but the standouts would definitely be:

1) Free Apps (free Software)
2) Choose a laptop
3) Portable Apps
4) Anti Virus
5) RSS

Like many I others (I would imagine)I would have liked a little more depth to some of the content (and yes I realise the time contraints and the varied audience etc) but importantly the podcast highlight key issues and point out where to go to follow up if more detail is required.

Collapse -
Thi sis the next episode
by acedtect-20196213851867054973637995818137 / December 12, 2006 7:31 AM PST

So weigh in while you can!

Collapse -
My List
by Micabe2006 / December 12, 2006 10:05 AM PST

1. online apps
2.Portable apps
3.choose a laptop
4.non drm mp3's
5.ubuntu

Those are my top chooses

Collapse -
My list
by orangedaisy / December 20, 2006 4:29 AM PST

1) Free Software
2) Online apps
3) WiMAX
4) AJAX
5) Choose a laptop

Love the podcast, keep it up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?