Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Tools for Fomat HDD

by kwokwai -space4english / February 23, 2006 11:59 PM PST

Could you recommend a good tool for formatting a
brand-new HDD of 80GB before you can use it for installing an OS?
Parition-magic is costly to try; and the demo version of it, is just for kids, as it can do nothing!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tools for Fomat HDD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tools for Fomat HDD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The old standard. . .
by Coryphaeus / February 24, 2006 12:02 AM PST
In reply to: Tools for Fomat HDD

W98 boot floppy. Partition, format, etc. are all available on the floppy.

Collapse -
by kwokwai -space4english / February 24, 2006 12:10 AM PST
In reply to: The old standard. . .

I have lost the disk, but I wonder it it can apply to all Microsoft OSs, including XP?

Collapse -
Does NOT apply to XP. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2006 12:33 AM PST
In reply to: lost

To format the drive for XP install, you boot the XP CD and use it's prompts... I've witnessed far too many format a drive and trip up the XP install.

-> has win98se.exe which you can run and for most that will make a proper boot diskette.

-> Just out of sheer curiousity, how did you avoid learning how to not use FDISK and FORMAT or the command line after this many years of this OS? 98 has not been out for 6 years so how one could own and run this beast without being forced to boot a diskette is always something I want to know.

Collapse -
quite stable
by kwokwai -space4english / February 26, 2006 3:17 PM PST

I couldn't tell you why, what I know so far is that the Win98 has got an Acer Restore Program. Whenever problems came, I ran that Restore Program, and things went smooth as they did as usual...

On the startup, I see PC config. said that the HDD is 40GB; but when I click into "My Computer", the system just claims it has 5.25GB totally.
I think the rest 34.75GB should have not been formatted!

I have been using this old PC with 5GB HDD space since 1999...

Collapse -
And ...
by Kees Bakker / February 24, 2006 3:55 AM PST
In reply to: lost

if you've got a basically working system, you can make your own boot diskette from Control Panel>Add Remove, or by running a batchfile called bootdisk.bat, that you can find somewhere in your windows folder.
So no need at all to despair for having lost the original diskette.

And a small warning: a new hard disk, with a freshly installed OS, might solve some of your problems. But if you don't have the right drivers, you'll get others in return (such as non-working USB and non-working sound). And the BIOS problem won't be solved at all, because that's most likely a hardware issue.

Didn't Acer supply a recovery CD? Or are you talking about another machine than in your previous posts?

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
your mobo may only support 8gb...
by reefurbb / February 24, 2006 1:19 PM PST
In reply to: Tools for Fomat HDD

Even if you have a larger Hdd now, it probably got "translated" by the original Acer install.
When you run "fdisk" from your new boot floppy, it will state the max allowable for this 80gb Hdd, until you also download a "hard drive utility" from your Hdd Mfg's website.
As Mr. Proffitt said, XP CD will also take care of it all and may have all needed drivers.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?