HolidayBuyer's Guide

Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Toolbars being rearranged

by sjdugas / May 7, 2007 1:28 AM PDT

Hi All - Since moving up to IE7 several months ago I have been having a strange problem. When I click on a link in an email, IE opens a new window to display the link, and about half the time it rearranges all my toolbars so that each one is at the beginning of its own line. This new arrangement then becomes the default until I unlock the toolbars, move them all back manually and relock them. It has become very frustrating lately. My toolbars include CallingID, SiteAdvisor, Norton Internet Security and Antivirus as well as the native Menu and Links bars. Just Googled for a couple of hours and couldn't even find a reference to anyone else having this problem. Would anyone have any ideas? Thanks very much!

Steve

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toolbars being rearranged
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toolbars being rearranged
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No real ideas except
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 7, 2007 8:06 AM PDT

to revert back from IE7 to IE6. IE7 is proving to be a little buggy at the moment and there are a lot of reports on these forums about problems.

Or, use a different browser and make that browser your default. I use Firefox instead of IE and only keep IE for the occasional visit to Windows Updates.

Mark

Collapse -
WAG.
by Cursorcowboy / May 7, 2007 11:43 PM PDT
When I click on a link in an email, IE opens a new window to display the link, and about half the time it rearranges all my toolbars so that each one is at the beginning of its own line. This new arrangement then becomes the default until I unlock the toolbars, move them all back manually and relock them. It has become very frustrating lately.

You don't say whether IE is already open before using OE but this may be the old proverbial problem of IE and the Open in a new window. NOTE: You may not have to perform any of the sizing/resizing if the IE windows already open as you want. Simply save the second window rendition which should save your toolbars as they were in the original and hopefully hold then subsequently for any Web generation by OE.

1. Since the usual IE icon on the desktop represents the Internet Options on the IE Tools menu you may need to creating a separate shortcut icon on the desktop or within the Quick Link toolbar utilizing the executable file for IE itself and then set the shortcut to open the first rendition maximized or anyway you want.

2. In order to have subsequent IE windows to also open maximized, select a hyperlink found on any WEB page of this first IE rendition and use the right-click option, "Open in New window".

a. With this second rendition open, close the first IE window opened when it was initially started.

b. Resize this last window using the mouse pointer by dragging any or all edges of the window to the desirable size. You may have to anchor the mouse in the colored bar at the top and move the entire window upward, right, or left in order to stay on the screen. When complete, close IE.

3. Start the browser again using the same procedure as before to see if both the original opening and a new window opening perform as expected. If not, continue with #1 or #2 a second time until you get it right or the system performs correctly.

4. When IE is closed, the following value of the current window view, size, and toolbar settings are stored immediately in the system registry address following which you may observe by either listening for the hard drive spin-up and make noise or watch for the blinking system light on the front of the box. When a "Open in New window" rendition is requested, it is opened using the stored registry value.

"Window_Placement"

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

5. Start the System Registry Editor (click Start, Run, type regedit, and then press Enter).

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

Note: Click the Plus box in front of HKCU to expand it and continue clicking/expanding appropriate folders (each word preceded by a backslash in the above key) until reaching the last folder named Main and click to bold/highlight it.

a. Look in the right window for the key "Window_Placement" and click once to bold/highlight.

b. Either save the key value into a "text" file (.txt) for later comparison should the anomaly continue or after selecting this key, press the Del key on the Keypad and respond with an affirmative when asked.

c. Click Registry in the main menu and select Exit, or simply click the tiny x in the URHC of the window to close. Respond with an affirmative when asked if any changes were actually made.

6. Return to the instructions for opening a new window in IE and perform the correct procedure again to set the desired values, which are then restored to the system registry.
Collapse -
Thank you!
by sjdugas / May 10, 2007 8:23 AM PDT
In reply to: WAG.

Thank you very much for your detailed response - I will give this a try. Appreciate all your help!

Steve

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.