Cameras forum

General discussion

took the plunge with Nikon D60

It's been 20 years or so since I had my last SLR, using film and digital point-n-shoots since then. Bought a new Nikon P60 this past April and have enjoyed shooting with it, but enough to realize that I was ready for more of a camera. The forum here and other online reviews really helped, but being able to handle the different cameras was important. I wanted to keep the price down as much as possible and eventually it seemed to come down to the Sony A200 and the Nikon D60. The D60, although it was another $200 or so over the Sony, won out in the end. I really liked the feel of the compact body in my hand and the quiet operation of the DX/AF/VR series lenses. However, the Sony made my decision very tough. It is a wonderful camera, especially at the price point. For the price of the D60 with the standard lens, I could have had a Sony A200 in a two-lens kit.

Just bought the Nikon D60 yesterday and haven't even taken it out of the box yet. Looking forward to learning about photography again!

By the way, the reviews recommended that buyers consider moving up from the D60 to the D80. Certainly the features and construction and operational performance confirmed that, but I found the slightly larger body of the D80 and the shape of the hand grip to be far more awkward than the smaller D60. This sort of difference cannot be determined via online reviews, but requires hands-on testing. Of course the D80 was another $200 or so.

I say this for those who are also shopping for a camera. Get out there and test the cameras in a store. And although I might have saved a few bucks buying online, I ended up getting a good deal locally on the D60.

Again, thanks to forum threads over the past several months that were very helpful in thinking about a new camera.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: took the plunge with Nikon D60
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: took the plunge with Nikon D60
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nikon D60

In reply to: took the plunge with Nikon D60

If you previously used a SLR film camera, you will feel right at home with the D60.

Enjoy the new camera.

Collapse -
just fine

In reply to: Nikon D60

I think you will enjoy the D60. It's just like the people that say to get the Canon 40D over the XSI, but the XSI could be the better choice for many people. Depends on what you plan to do.

Photography: Where shooting bystanders is perfectly legal.

Collapse -
First use of D60

In reply to: took the plunge with Nikon D60

Charged the battery and got off a few first shots before having to come into work today. So much to learn, but already I can see that I will be able to do so much more with the D60. Bought the 55-200mm VR lens in addition to the 18-55mm VR kit. The 55-200 is about the same size of the kit lens, but I think provides better balance when holding the camera. These digital SLRs are so lightweight! A real pleasure to use.

We'll be going up to Quebec City later in August and I am really looking forward to using the D60 on that trip.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.