Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Took 12 years but they're finally getting wise.

Opinion polls show Stephen Harper with a strong lead over heading into Monday's Canadian elections.

The Liberal Party's Paul Martin currently leads the Canadian government, but he faces a strong challenge in the upcoming elections.

Canada appears ready to turn to the right in upcoming national elections
By Doug Struck

The Washington Post

BURLINGTON, Ontario ? Rob Hlohinec, 58, doesn't see what's so bad about Americans. He even admits to knowing some.

"I've talked to Americans. They want the same things we want," Hlohinec said as he watched a Conservative Party campaign rally.

At his side, Irene Heller, 82, agreed. She said that was one reason she would vote to replace the government headed by the Liberal Party's Paul Martin in Canadian national elections on Monday. Martin, she said, uses anti-Americanism to try to win votes.

"He gets votes when he knocks America, and I don't approve of that," said Heller, who braved a sleet storm to attend the rally.

Conservative leader Stephen Harper holds a strong lead in public-opinion polls, fueled largely by dissatisfaction with 12 years of Liberal rule. Among the dissatisfied are voters unhappy with the growing divide between Canada and the United States.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002754645_canada22.html

"The Liberal Party, with 133 seats in the 308-seat House of Commons, has been in power 12 years. The Liberals won majority victories in 1993, 1997 and 2000, helped by vote-splitting between two right-wing opposition parties. In December 2003, those parties merged into the Conservative Party, which has 98 seats. In June 2004, the Liberals lost their majority amid public anger over a patronage scandal and were forced to rely on the left-leaning New Democratic Party, with 18 seats, for support. The wild card is the separatist Bloc Quebecois, which has 53 seats. There are four independents and two vacant seats."

Might end up with a friend up north again as in the past before Jean Chretien (Canada's Dean act-alike).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Took 12 years but they're finally getting wise.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Took 12 years but they're finally getting wise.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Response

In reply to: Took 12 years but they're finally getting wise.

They predict a Conservative MINORITY government.

I like minority governments.

Collapse -
I'm glad because it looks like...

In reply to: Response

Harper will likely have a smaller cabinet and more of it will be representative of the West and rural areas rather than the liberal overrepresentation of urban areas. Devil

Changes, they are a coming. Happy

Collapse -
I wonder if this was brought up

In reply to: I'm glad because it looks like...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That remains to be seen - Rob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I have faith that most Canadians are not idiots.

In reply to: (NT) That remains to be seen - Rob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Some are chowderheads :)

In reply to: (NT) I have faith that most Canadians are not idiots.

Collapse -
Not the only country "getting wise"?

U.S. handles damage-control the Japanese way

TOKYO (AP) - It's among the most Japanese of traditions: officials accused of wrongdoing go before the cameras to express deep regret and promise to make sure it never happens again.

But lately, many of the bowed heads in Japan have been American.

Taking a cue from Japanese culture, a raft of U.S. officials - from the U.S. military, the U.S. Embassy, and the departments of State, Agriculture and Defence - have gone before Japanese officials in recent weeks to humbly ask for forgiveness.
Collapse -
Americans under SOFA have...

In reply to: Not the only country "getting wise"?

always been advocates of the "when in Rome" philosophy in host countries, so what is new?

Further, what has this even REMOTELY to do with normally equanimous Canadians finally getting fed up with the Liberal Party (even HUGE inroads in the urbanites who NEVER are Conservative) of their own country and voting them out?

No wonder you are so often so confused about so many things--subject matter is irrelevant to you and you thus seem to think it interchangeable. It isn't.

Collapse -
always been advocates

In reply to: Americans under SOFA have...

of the "when in Rome" philosophy in host countries, so what is new?

I guess the person that wrote the article and the people that he interviewed seem to think that NOW the US is not only advocating "when in Rome" they are practicing it.

Collapse -
Ummmm, Canadian News??

In reply to: Not the only country "getting wise"?

Funny. Our media seems to have missed that story. I have a pretty good idea why that is, and its not because our media wants to paint a positive picture of the government.

Collapse -
Mark Steyn's take

An Act of Hygiene
Democracy fells yet another anti-American government.

He's his usual witty self, and doesn't overplay the results. My favorite part is underlined ;):

Remember the conventional wisdom of 2004? Back then, you'll recall, it was the many members of George Bush's "unilateral" coalition who were supposed to be in trouble, not least the three doughty warriors of the Anglosphere--the president, Tony Blair and John Howard--who would all be paying a terrible electoral price for lying their way into war in Iraq. The Democrats' position was that Mr. Bush's rinky-**** nickel-and-dime allies didn't count: The president has "alienated almost everyone," said Jimmy Carter, "and now we have just a handful of little tiny countries supposedly helping us in Iraq." (That would be Britain, Australia, Poland, Japan . . .) Instead of those nobodies, John Kerry pledged that, under his leadership, "America will rejoin the community of nations"--by which he meant Jacques Chirac, Gerhard Schroeder, the Belgian guy . . .

Two years on, Messrs. Bush, Blair, Howard and Koizumi are all re-elected, while Mr. Chirac is the lamest of lame ducks, and his ingrate citizenry has tossed out his big legacy, the European Constitution; Mr. Schroeder's government was defeated and he's now shilling for Russia's state-owned Gazprom ("It's all about Gaz!"); and the latest member of the coalition of the unwilling to hit the skids is Canada's Liberal Party, which fell from office on Monday. John Kerry may have wanted to "rejoin the community of nations." Instead, "the community of nations" has joined John Kerry, windsurfing off Nantucket in electric-yellow buttock-hugging Lycra, or whatever he's doing these days....

Wonder if he wore his yellow daisy zipper pull in Davos?!
Collapse -
Was that the snowboarding trip

In reply to: Mark Steyn's take

in which "that %$#!@##$%%^^&$@ secrect service guy knocked me over"?

Collapse -
Yep!

In reply to: Was that the snowboarding trip

Because John Kerry doesn't fall down!

Evie Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.