Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Too much memory for Adobe Premiere 5

by jdeacon27 / February 9, 2009 7:42 AM PST

My youngest is very interested in animation and editing. I gave him my old copy of Adobe Premiere 5. It ran painfully slowly so we upgraded his PC. I suspected that something as old as Premiere 5 wouldn't be happy under Vista, which is what the new Dell PC (Inspiron 530) came with, so I made his new machine dual boot and installed Premiere under XP (SP3), which is what I'd been using it under.

But Premiere can't copy with the 4 GB of memory in the Dell; it thinks there isn't enough memory! Is there any way I can reduce the amount of memory visible to Premiere without actually yanking out 2 GB?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Too much memory for Adobe Premiere 5
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Too much memory for Adobe Premiere 5
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
YES!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2009 9:00 AM PST

You have two choices. I'll offer them in the order I'd use.

1. BURNMEMORY. Not literally but here's the article about it and editing BOOT.INI -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721

2. Virtual PC. Google that but it's only for the exit of last resort.
Bob

Collapse -
burnmemory
by jdeacon27 / February 10, 2009 5:13 AM PST
In reply to: YES!

/burnmemory sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I'll give it a try.

I have a feeling that because Premiere under XP is dual-booted along with Vista that I'll have to edit the Vista boot database rather than boot.ini

Thanks.

Collapse -
Premiere 5.1 works under XP when /burnmemory used
by jdeacon27 / February 12, 2009 1:33 AM PST
In reply to: burnmemory

That worked a treat. I took away 1GB of memory and Premiere worked at last.

And you do edit the boot.ini. I made a copy of the current entry (using bootcfg /copy) and added the /burnmemory=1024 switch to the copy entry. The Vista boot loader hands over to the XP boot sequence if you choose XP from the initial vista/xp boot menu; the XP boot sequence then uses boot.ini and you see a second boot menu, in this case with my original XP entry and the reduced memory XP entry.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
You're welcome.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2009 4:36 AM PST

I used that switch on an old version of Code Warrior. It didn't like 1, 2, 3 GB ram but just 0.5GB less!

I wonder if you can try burning a little less ram?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.