The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Too Much Anger!

by fridaythedog / September 9, 2007 6:28 AM PDT

I do not know if Molly has a problem or something deep seated about Apple, but I used to love listening to BOL. Now I just can not stand her anti Apple rants. If it is going to be this way, I just will not listen anymore!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Too Much Anger!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Too Much Anger!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
She likes Apple, she hates Apple
by irafreight / September 9, 2007 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Too Much Anger!

Why does it affect you that much?

Collapse -
subjective point?
by warrenrichards10 / September 9, 2007 10:01 PM PDT

Is it better she does a "rant" based on a vaid veiw honestly on her perspective and opinion on the subject?,or a "fluff piece" of mindless intertainment?, better to have a honest opinion on the subject I believe, I use an IPod, (gym), and just bought my first PC,(yes a Noobie whatever that is). Molly, if you read this, keep up the "rant" us Aussies like people with backbones, (remember your main veiwers though, diplomacy may be required. love the show.

Collapse -
anger, passion...
by shawnlin / September 9, 2007 7:53 AM PDT

It's certainly your right to not listen anymore - if you don't enjoy it (kinda like those who felt ripped off with the iPhone price drop), make your voice heard...or unheard, as it were.

On the whole - I don't care much at all for raised voices, efforts, or ideas brought out by anger. I really don't at all have a problem with Molly's opinion - in fact I think there's A LOT of truth to it. I just didn't expect the presentation of a rant from an executive editor to be presented like it was - I wasn't impressed. It reminded me of rants I've heard from those who felt like they were powerless and backed into a corner...Still, I've also heard worse rants from spoiled-rotten 10yr old kids. If her voice was 10x as loud and it was more of an impassioned plea or calling to arms - I sure I'd respect that more.

I see Molly as an impressive journalist covering tech (not just a "tech journalist") and a tough-as-nails-never-say-die gal with high-aspirations who can be rather funny and delightful at times. As such, I would LOOOOOOVE to see her work her genius with deftly cutting and clever arguments against those items or entities she was ranting at - for me, an essay or commentary bit like that would be something I wouldn't want to miss. I don't see much indication that she's do that, so I'll just expect something different from here on out. The incident makes me think that my listening days of BOL are numbered...and I have to say, I guess I'm not as much of a tech-head to spend a *lot* of energy in leading/supporting some grassroots movement of sorts to "save" BOL, the tech consumer experience, or the industry at large.

Also...I've been wondering for the last few weeks if some kinda "shock jock" idea had been encouraged for the show - I didn't think much of before Thursday's rant, but I still don't totally buy the idea. With all the recent tech "defeats" in the court of law and the Apple bungle , I can't say I'm really surprised because there was plenty to be frustrated with.

I've enjoyed cooling off over this weekend and really considering what exactly I was unhappy with. I wish the same for everyone.

Very best wishes to all of you,
Shalin

Collapse -
It's a DAILY show and it's NOT the only she does.
by irafreight / September 9, 2007 8:30 AM PDT
In reply to: anger, passion...

You want her to put out a 60 Minutes style expos

Collapse -
oh no, only on a case by case basis...
by shawnlin / September 9, 2007 8:52 AM PDT

...for the whole iPhone thing, I thought she would have scaled back her rant and made some statement of sorts in the Buzz Report video...

--S

Collapse -
I dont' know...
by kcoppock / September 9, 2007 9:03 AM PDT

I actually enjoy hearing them debate back and forth, keeps it interesting, haha. Sometimes I'll get to where I want to say something back, and then realize I can't do that through an iPod. Silly

As for the Apple rant, both Tom and Molly had good points. I totally agree that the $200 price cut was too much, too soon, but then again, it's a risk you take any time you buy something that it will drop in price soon after. For example, my computer I built cost me roughly $1,200 about 6-8 months ago. Now, I can find a low-end model that meets or exceeds my system specs, and includes a widescreen LCD monitor, for roughly $5-600. But then again, as Tom said, it was obviously worth me paying for, or I wouldn't have. That, and building it myself I didn't have to deal with all the crapware you get from factory-built PCs.

Also, the 4 GB 2nd gen Nano I bought? Paid $200, and now the 3rd gen Nano which plays video, has an 8 GB model for $200. Prices drop, especially with tech, it's just something you have to get used to.

May not be the popular opinion, but I say keep up the rants, guys! Wink

Collapse -
yeah, back/forth, button pushing is fun to hear...
by shawnlin / September 9, 2007 9:11 AM PDT
In reply to: I dont' know...

if it's all in good fun, that's pure gravy.

Collapse -
well
by irafreight / September 9, 2007 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: I dont' know...

PC price are always dropping, it's expected. Apple hardly ever lowers prices without launching a better model. For example 80GB iPod used to be $349 is now $249 and the $349 spot is taken by the 160GB model. I think, had they intro'ed the 16GB iPhone at $599, there would've been almost no complaints and probably saved the $100 give back.

Collapse -
(NT) And that 16GB iPhone is coming- we all know it.
by Alegoo92 / September 9, 2007 10:09 AM PDT
In reply to: well
Collapse -
I agree
by Nicholas Buenk / September 9, 2007 11:04 PM PDT

She had some valid points. But overstated them so much that it started to sound like the opposite of a fanboy, a hater.

Collapse -
It's not anti Apple
by Renegade Knight / September 11, 2007 4:39 AM PDT

If you listen carefully there is a deeper underlying philosopy. If anyone is on the wrong side of the philosopy you get a rant.

If someone is on the right side of the philosophy you get a kudos.

Any company can be in the recieving end of both a rant or kudos.

Collapse -
It's not anti Apple ?
by warrenrichards10 / September 11, 2007 8:54 AM PDT
In reply to: It's not anti Apple

You saw a philosophy?, hmmmmmmmm dunno about that mate I think kcoppock (above) had a good point on the costing thing, "it's a risk you take any time you buy something that it will drop in price soon after", we all take risks with new tec, the price always drops, and early adopters always end up grinding their teeth ,companies ,(Apple) will always provide us amunition in regards to their pricing policy, but finding a general philosophy being pushed by Buzz? ,nup don't see it, always remember "let the buyer beware".

Collapse -
$200
by Renegade Knight / September 12, 2007 12:22 AM PDT
In reply to: It's not anti Apple ?

I was talking general philosopy,not 200. But since you brought it up. Yes, prices drop, Yes that happens in tech. Yes it's expected. That's all well and good.
BUT that much of a price drop that soon broke the unwritten rules that companies have to live by. That it was Apple doesn't change jack. If the ZunePhone, or Google phone did it, same result. It's not specific to Apple.

If the Google rumors are true we may get to watch it play out again.

I'm not sure anyone can say how much of a price drop and how fast is "too much" until someone like Apple does 200 in 2 months and they get the reaction they got.

Lastly, Molly does have an underlying philosopy. So does Tom. You won't pick it up on any one pod cast it takes a lot of them to see it in the bigger picture.

Collapse -
Fair point,
by warrenrichards10 / September 12, 2007 1:36 PM PDT
In reply to: $200

You make a fair and valid point on the $200 price drop, down here in Australia it might not have played out for Apple as well as it seems to have in the U.S.(there seems to be more "OHHHH, AHHHHH's") over the new range than the unintelligent manipulation ,(or lack of) of the price, (I still think the new Nano look like a squat mutant compared to the original).
As to the philosophy question I'm happy to concede the point, I'm only a casual listener, (3rd time) so if you have been listening for the long haul your view is probably based more on overview as opposed to mine, (which is more like a drive by).
But if the philosophy is ?buried? to some degree in the bulk of multiple episodes what?s the point?, I mean only those who listen to all the episodes might pick it up, so what?s the point in ?putting it out? if only a few fans may even notice?.

P.S. The Google posse will be watching closely what?s going on, and hopefully NOT make the same mistakes,,,, maybe.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!