General discussion

Too many Widgets?

Oct 13, 2006 4:39AM PDT

Is it possible to have too many widgets?

More importantly... how do I fit all my widgets onto the 12 inch screen of my iBook?

As a middle aged school kid in graphics tech, I am seeing all these different widgets that I want to try out (color pickers, re-sizers, code checkers, etc). But my screen is already full of things like world clocks and the sun lit earth to keep me from calling friends around the globe at 3:00 am... along with more necessary stuff like english to pirate translators, iStat pro and gas price trackers.

Any tips and solutions to managing my widgets so they don't take up my screen? Any widgets designed to manage my widgets?

Or do I need to start looking for a WA meeting? (Widgets Anonymous)

merci, danke, thanks alot.

grim

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Too many Widgets?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Too many Widgets?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Widgets
Oct 13, 2006 5:43AM PDT

There used to be a Widgets Manager but it was a widget itself and thus became part of the problem! Widgent you know it!
The problem is knowing widget way to go when managing your widgets. Some widgets are larger than others and are known as widegets. These should be avoided. Others, while being the normal widget size, have a greater depth. These are known as wadegets and are very technical and confusing. You can soon find yourself in over you head if you have too many of them. The type of widget most suited to your 12" iBook are the very small ones, known as midgets! There are also some that appear from a Top Hat along with a white rabbit. These are madget widgets and are likely to disappear, and reappear, when you least expect it. Most widgets are produced in a factory in Widgetah, KS but there are a few small production shops around the country.

I usually use the X to control which widgets I have on my screen at any one time. Hit the X and Pooof, it has gone. Pull up what you need from the widget store at the bottom of the screen.
It would be nice to have an app that would allow you to group widgets, like fonts, and control which group was on screen at any one time. Check the OS X software site at Apple.

Hope this helps, widget won't. Happy

P

- Collapse -
As the British are inclined to say...
Oct 13, 2006 9:41AM PDT

Well this is a sticky widget, isn?t it?

Shocked

grim

- Collapse -
Drat, I missed that one,
Oct 13, 2006 10:37AM PDT

CNET Forums