Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Too many system files

by Toni2000 / June 26, 2005 7:02 PM PDT

Gateway Solo 2300 Notebook/96MB RAM/3.81GB HD/233MHz
Windows 2000 Professional
A little over a month ago I had to do a clean install of W2k because I had corrupted syatem files and Windows could not start. Now, when I try to defrag C:, I have not enough free space to do so and I noticed that more than half the drive is System (green) files.
Is there a way to correct this? I formatted the drive when I was doing the install and I'm afraid if I try it again I will end up with even MORE system files on the drive. I have very few programs installed besides what came with Windows and no .jpg,.avi...etc.No large files. I realize my computer is old and "small", but it's all I have and will have for quite some time.
Thank You in advance for any help and I will be sure to post anything that did help to solve this problem.
Toni2000

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Too many system files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Too many system files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That may be proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2005 9:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Too many system files

But without details, this discussion can't start.

Bob

Collapse -
No,it's not "proper"
by Toni2000 / June 27, 2005 12:06 AM PDT
In reply to: That may be proper.

Before I had to do the clean install my system files occupied much much less space on my hard drive and I had 3 times the programs installed that I do now.
What are the other "details" you need? I gave my Hard Drive capacity, MB's RAM , OS, Computer Manufacturer....What more do you need?

Collapse -
For a sub-4GB drive...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2005 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: No,it's not "proper"

If I install Windows 2000 to the defaults and run Windows Update and accept all the items, not much space would be left on an under 4GB drive.

Nothing new here and not much I can offer. You picked up a nice OS but just don't have the space.

You can try uninstalling any item you don't use, but I can't tell you what stays or goes.

Happy hunting,

Bob

Collapse -
Thank You.
by Toni2000 / June 27, 2005 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: For a sub-4GB drive...

I suspected it was all the updates I downloaded since I'm sure many were lost by uninstalling programs before I had to do the clean install, and all are intact now. I see no option other than uninstalling some of the uppdates that are not "critical".
Thank You for your quick response.
Have a nice Day!
Toni

Collapse -
I forgot something.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2005 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank You.

Sorry, but after "Windows Updates" many files will be left so you can uninstall the updates. If you are absolutely sure you will not uninstall a patch, then look for the $NT or NT$ items in Windows or such directory to clean such up manually.

You can save yourself some space by creating a Windows 2000 SP4 install CD with AUTOSTREAMER. This cuts down on some duplication of files in the update process. Normally we don't bother with drives being so cheap. In other words, drive space is cheaper than the time to slim down this old OS.

Bob

Collapse -
The $NtUninstall files
by Toni2000 / June 27, 2005 1:37 AM PDT
In reply to: I forgot something.

are in my WINNT folder and I think you have a way for me to keep my OS updated and still gain space by deleting the $NtUninstall files manually(and there are a LOT of them!)
Thank You so much for your help and I will post regarding how much space I gained after removing those files.
Will take a while and then I'll do a cleanup.
Back in a Flash!
Toni

Collapse -
YES INDEED!
by Toni2000 / June 27, 2005 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: The $NtUninstall files

I went from 489MB's free space to 713MB's!200+more space!
I know it doesn't sound like much, but for me it's enough room to "Spread my Wings and FLY"!
Thank you for your help and if I could, I would Email you a Lobster Dinner!
One Happy Camper,
Toni

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?