HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Too many options!

by princesspink22 / September 17, 2009 6:36 AM PDT

I'm a college student in my Senior year who stage manages for our mainstage productions. I've found that I've been carrying my Macbook Pro around a lot-- and it's heavy!

Given this new trend for netbooks, I thought I'd look into getting one to make my life a little easier not only during rehearsal, but during class as well (I have a learning difference that makes taking notes by hand a chore).

After looking around (and being defrauded) I have decided to ask the experts what would be best for me. I do know something about computers, thank God, so I'm not completely helpless, just overwhelmed.

Here's what I'd like:

--Really small, preferably nothing with a larger than 7" screen. I know I'm sacrificing a large keyboard, but I have thin fingers and an iPhone, so I think I'll be okay
--Good battery life. I'd like a 6-cell battery, but I could most certainly deal with a 3- or 4-cell
--A nice amount of harddrive space. I'm not too picky when it comes to SSD or HDD, even though I know I should be, but I do need a good sized harddrive. I'd like something over 10 or 12 GB.
--Standard RAM. 512 MB would be fine, but nothing under
--A decent price tag. I know many companies are waiting for Intel's new processor, so they're dropping the prices. My budget is under $400, but I'd hope for something under $300.

Also, I hate Dell.

Thank you for helping me out!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Too many options!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Too many options!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let me be honest.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2009 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Too many options!

With the common Acer One netbook with 10 inch screen, 120GB hard disk, 1GB ram and 6 cell battery at under 300 on Amazon and free shipping why would I get less than that?

Collapse -
Sounds interesting...
by princesspink22 / September 17, 2009 8:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Let me be honest.

Thank you for your speedy reply!

How is Acer as a company? I mean like, customer support, etc. (if you know, of course).

It sounds enticing... To be honest (in return for your honesty), I'm a little turned off by the larger size. I've had a 12" computer before; not to sound ignorant, but how different are they? And don't say two inches! What I mean is, I didn't really comprehend the size until I had it in my hands... Does that make sense?

Collapse -
I own the 8.9 inch model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2009 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds interesting...

The 10 inch screen is no bigger. Just the bezel shrank.

I've have good Acer support since about 2000. But remember I know never to call in for Windows issues. Many forget that all makers do poorly on software support.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks!
by princesspink22 / September 17, 2009 10:34 AM PDT

Thank you so much for that-- I'm going with the Acer Aspire One AOD150-1920!

Collapse -
Follow up notes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2009 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

Many forget they need to beg borrow buy some USB DVDRW drive to make the restore media.

I enjoy using a Logitech V450 Nano mouse with mine.
Bob

Collapse -
have you bought the netbook?
by waqyum / December 24, 2009 7:24 AM PST
In reply to: Too many options!

I would like to know of you have purchased less than 7 inch netbook.I'm also looking for a small netbook mainly for blogging.Eee PC 4G is quite outdated and i don't know other options for this screen size.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.