Windows Vista forum

General discussion

too many javas

by foxygrandma / March 22, 2010 4:44 AM PDT

Operating System System Model
Windows Vista Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 2 (build 6002)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States) Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC 1
Enclosure Type: Notebook
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.20 gigahertz AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded Board: Compal 30FC 01.99
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Hewlett-Packard F.48 06/17/2009
Drives Memory Modules c,d
500.10 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
421.18 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

In my control panel, programs and features there is one Java tm6 update 18 (64-bit). Yet when I go to Downloaded Program Files, there are three, two show Installed and they are Version 6.0.180.7. One shows as Unknown and when I go to its properties, it shows This Page lists the Version Information about Java runtime environment 1.6.0. When I right-click I do not get the choice to delete. Wanted to delete two of them.. How do I do that, please?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: too many javas
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: too many javas
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Java Removal Link
by Brechan / March 22, 2010 9:27 AM PDT
In reply to: too many javas
Collapse -
Java removal
by foxygrandma / March 22, 2010 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Java Removal Link

Thank you vey much but I do not understand how I install it. Do not see a download button.

Collapse -
click on the 'Products' link
by Brechan / March 22, 2010 10:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Java removal

At the top is the 'Products' link, click on it.
http://raproducts.org/
Scroll down until you see "Download Windows Binary (.zip file)", this will brind up the zip file, then proceed with the install.

I tried the program before putting up the link, it works (even gives you more options under the tab 'Additional Tasks').

Collapse -
Java
by foxygrandma / March 22, 2010 3:29 PM PDT

thanks so much. Will try it now. Anna Ruth

Collapse -
Java
by foxygrandma / March 22, 2010 4:08 PM PDT

I did this and used the uninstall button. I did not use the update button, as I wanted to check my Programs and Features to see if it might still be there. I rebooted and went to Programs and Features and one Java tm6 update 18 (64- bit) is still there. So I went to the Downloaded Programs files to see what is in there. And the same three are in there. I thought that they should be gone. Not sure what this means. Should I go back to the link and use the update button?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?