General discussion

Too many DVDs...

I've got WAY too many old DVDs, and I started poking around looking for a DVD jukebox or some such, only to be surprised that most of the ones out there are pretty old.

So, yeah.. I'm probably out of date.. Now, what I'm looking for, I THINK, is a good storage device that I can load all of my DVDs to and hook up to my TV; one with a DVD reader on it would be nice, so I don't have to rip every one of them on my PC one at a time, then load them.

So, am I barking up the wrong tree? Or can someone give me some suggestions as to which way to go, some brands/models/etc?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Too many DVDs...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Too many DVDs...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sadly there is DRM

The copy protection involved means that there is no product you can pick up at almost any US store.

That's why you don't find such a product when you go shopping.
Bob

- Collapse -
DRM issue

Yeah; I had a funny feeling about that, after I read some articles about companies fighting that battle... So, is there a viable solution? I was looking originally for a DVD jukebox, but I can't find any made in the last 4 or 5 years.. Almost all that I can find are used.

Or is this a case of 'There isn't a solution, and won't be, until the court cases all get resolved.'?

- Collapse -
No US solution.

No company is going to put out this product or software here and DVD jukeboxes suffer from the issues of mechanical deaths far too often. The court case is considered solved. Sadly against us getting this at a local store.

Keywords? DMCA and DRM.

Bob

- Collapse -
Sony cx960 bluray/DVD/CD junk box 400 disks
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665945153

http://www.nextag.com/SONY-BDPCX960-400-Disc-675128662/prices-html

Not cheap & I would not expect it too last long, the money would be better spent getting the new Oppo BD95 + save some $$$

Do what I did & buy slim cases, you can get 100 slim dvd cases for around $20-30, check eBay & amazon for the best prices.

Forget about finding anything that will burn commercial disks out of the box..
- Collapse -
You mean the BDP-93?
- Collapse -
Having Great Luck with my Sony 400 DVD Changer

I have had the Sony regular DVD 400 changer for over 5 years now and it just keeps on running great, I would be hard presseed to be happier, then I got the Blu-Ray modle a few months back and so far so good, too early to say how it will hold up but if it is anything like my older on, then it should be no issue.

I finally moved all of them to the new unit and it has 362 DVD's about 100 or so blu-ray and the rest regular DVD's. About the only down side is it is a bit slow so not well suited to "surfing", that is, going from one DVD to another to find something you care to watch, but it has a couple of diffent menu options for showing the list of movies and you can put them in catagories and such for easy and fast reference, then pick one and whril, bzzz, click-click, bzzz, and your movie starts Happy

I am not sure where the relaibility comments come from, but I am only speaking of my experience, the a proper review, so I have no idea if the units are prone to issues, mine has not been.

I wish I could move them to a hard drive but no such luck, short of that I really like it, removed all the DVD clutter from the home theater area, and puts everything in one place. I do have what I call my "good" Blu-Ray player that is a single disc player, but I got that before Sony came out with the Blu-Ray changer, personally I can't see or hear the difference, my stand-alone Panasonic is a lot faster for a single Blu-Ray in starting up but the Sony changer is resonable.

CNET Forums

Forum Info