Laptops forum

General discussion

Too many 802.11s in one room . . . interference?

by Ryan T / February 8, 2005 10:05 PM PST

This is an interesting little experiment. The other day I was at school with 3 of my friends. One had an old HP laptop with a Linksys SuperG card in it . . . the kind with the really chunky antenna on it. Another had a Powerbook G4 with a normal Linksys 802.11G card. Yet another friend had a Compaq with a Netgear G card.

I was the only Centrino owner with my Intel 802.11G built in.

We were all having a hard time getting on our school's 802.11b network, and we were crammed into this TINY study room (literally about 8' by 6'). All the computers were on this little table, but when I would raise my computer above the level of the table, I could connect with fair signal. But when I brought it back down, my rate dropped to 1.0mbps and very low signal.

Then, when two of my friends shut down their computers, magically, I could get on the network.

Isn't that interesting? Is that documented? Too many G cards in one room causes interference?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Too many 802.11s in one room . . . interference?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Too many 802.11s in one room . . . interference?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try changing the channel(s)
by Pepe7 / February 10, 2005 2:47 AM PST

Greetings,

Yes indeed- too many wireless devices in close proximity can do just that. And my cordless telephone at home cuts mine out at home sometimes ;(. I've learned to change the channels on the router to get a better signal on my wife's laptop with less interference. But that won't help you guys since you are not controlling the signal at the source. Even trying another wireless cared won't solve the close proximity issue. Are there any free ethernet connections one or two of you could use in the room when working together(?)

cheers,
P

Collapse -
Just as I suspected
by Ryan T / February 10, 2005 3:28 AM PST

Yes, there is one ethernet . . . I usually hog it and let the rest of them duke it out about wireless. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!