Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Too funny not to post.

by Ziks511 / November 9, 2005 5:25 PM PST

Phillip Adams, The Australian
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,17064889%255E12272,00.html

"AS you know, I always follow my mother's advice and avoid discussing religion or politics. ... However, on this one rare occasion, I feel entitled to say a few words about George W. Bush. "Told you so!!" And "Nyah nyah ne nyah nyah!!!!"

"George Bush? The US would have been better off with the ukulele-strumming George Formby. Or Mad King George. Or George Wallace Jr who, on Inauguration Day, could have wowed the crowd with his schtick of dragging a boiled crayfish behind him on a piece of string. Or even Gorgeous George, the Liberace-style professional wrestler. Instead they elected the one George that raises one's gorge, the George that couldn't have done more damage had he been a KGB plant or the Manchurian candidate.

"For years fellow columnists and the PM have been telling us the sun shines from his presidential posterior, that despite his imper-son-ation of Forrest Gump imitating Jerry Lewis doing a parody of John Wayne, George was a political genius. While I've been suggesting that the bloke is, at best, a failed experiment in genetic engineering or a malfunctioning audio-animatronic robot that escaped from Disney World in his brother's state of Florida."

Apparently the Aussie Prime Minister likes him though.

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Too funny not to post.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Too funny not to post.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IT's a sad commentary
by dirtyrich / November 9, 2005 8:23 PM PST
In reply to: Too funny not to post.

on the state of The Australian's commentary. Pure, vitriolic hatred that blinds him to anything positive the administration does. He may as well be Ted Kennedy. Well, to be fair, Ted only gets that bad when he drinks... but who knows, the writer may have had a few drinks before he wrote this.

Collapse -
You took the bait
by EdH / November 9, 2005 8:41 PM PST
In reply to: IT's a sad commentary

I was hoping this one would sink out of sight like the sinker it is. It is indeeed a sad state of affairs when such garbage is published in a newspaper and an equally sad state when it's posted here.

Rob has fouled the nest again.

Collapse -
Since some seem to enjoy reading this rubbish...
by dirtyrich / November 10, 2005 2:01 AM PST
In reply to: You took the bait

perhaps we could write something similar columns about some of the notable SE personas? That would be a riot.

Collapse -
No need
by EdH / November 10, 2005 2:06 AM PST

They do it themselves.

Collapse -
How would that be at all similar?
by Josh K / November 10, 2005 2:22 AM PST

The article doesn't mention any SE members. I don't think we're that well known.

Collapse -
You guys see everything that calls Bush's genius,
by Ziks511 / November 10, 2005 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: IT's a sad commentary

motivation, and benevolence into question as an unwarranted and vitriolic attack. You even seem to see commentary or criticism of his friends and coworkers as un-American. I'll grant that Terry Jones was a bit ... what's the word ... excessively frank in his criticisms, but they were very very funny. But it was the screams of outrage that greeted Garrison Keillor's mild and amusing piece that I thought were totally over the top. It was at that point that I realized there was unlikely to be a sensible post like, "I didn't agree with it, but it was pretty funny".

Republicans have made sport and told jokes and spread scurrilous rumors and outright lies and indulged in interminable innuendo about Democratic Presidents from Franklin Roosevelt and Eleanor (she reputed to have had whole legions of African American lovers, he to have been a crippled voyeur) to Harry S. Truman (too stupid to tie his own shoes), through Kennedy and Johnson to Carter and Clinton.

There was even a potentially plausible thesis about Eleanor R. which was completely neglected by Republicans at the time because the subject was unthinkable: namely the possibility of Eleanor's having lesbian lovers. Certainly she was very close to Loreena Hickok a reporter who was known to be gay, and several other possible paramours. From what I've read (more than you can possibly imagine) I don't buy it, but there are lesbian historians now who are willing to make the assertion, and Roosevelt haters who are, I'm sure, happy to snatch any slander, however poorly founded as a cudgel.

For myself, I thought Hoover a good man overwhelmed by an unprecedented situation, even Roosevelt's intervention had little effect until the Second World War began. I have no quarrel with Eisenhower, or Gerry Ford, or George Bush Senior. But Nixon Reagan and Bush I consider unmitigated disasters. Nixon morally, though he led the country pretty well leaving aside the War he inherited. Reagan because his ideas of economics were and are ludicrous, and Bush Jr. because of failings too manifest and too numerous to go into yet again.

So hang me. I despise 3 Republican Presidents in the last 80 or so years. Bet you can't say the same about the Democrats.

Rob

Collapse -
Stop it right now!
by Dan McC / November 10, 2005 5:54 AM PST

This type of reasonable discourse will NOT be tolerated.

Wink

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Did you read the piece of crap?
by EdH / November 10, 2005 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: Stop it right now!
Collapse -
I read the linked humor piece.
by Dan McC / November 10, 2005 6:13 AM PST

If that's the work you're refering to.

Dan

Collapse -
We know where you stand
by Evie / November 10, 2005 6:02 AM PST

It's just redundant that you can find yet another person of questionable intelligence and merits of their own willing to trash my President. I would say "our" but that would only apply were I addressing an American.

I really do wonder if the tolerant liberals around here mock stutterers.

Collapse -
I loved this.
by Dan McC / November 9, 2005 11:43 PM PST
In reply to: Too funny not to post.
"...that despite his imper-son-ation of Forrest Gump imitating Jerry Lewis doing a parody of John Wayne, George was a political genius."

Perfect.

Dan
Collapse -
Interesting bit of film....
by Josh K / November 10, 2005 12:08 AM PST
In reply to: I loved this.

....in Fahrenheit 9/11, of GWB from the period when his father was President. Notably absent was the Texas twang.

Obviously the film was doctored to remove the drawl, LOL.

Collapse -
Look who's joining in the ugliness...
by EdH / November 10, 2005 12:12 AM PST

The usual suspects. Figures yoiu guys would find this brown trout attractive.

Citing M Moore really adds to your credibility, Josh.

Collapse -
I'm not citing Michael Moore
by Josh K / November 10, 2005 12:19 AM PST

I'm making reference to a piece of film he chose to use. If you find something less than credible about that piece of film, I'm all ears.

Collapse -
"....in Fahrenheit 9/11"
by EdH / November 10, 2005 12:57 AM PST
Collapse -
This is not about Fahrenheit 9/11
by Josh K / November 10, 2005 1:15 AM PST

I was commenting on a piece of archival film. Fahrenheit 9/11 is just where I happened to see it.

If you have evidence that the piece of film in question was somehow doctored to remove Bush's Texas accent, I'm ready to see it.

Collapse -
Enough. You're parsing again...
by EdH / November 10, 2005 1:33 AM PST

Bush's alleged Texas accent is not the issue. The issue is that you cited F9/11, piece of archival film or not. And when I answered your question in the previous post you dance away claiming it's not relevant.

Fact is, after living in a place for a while you tend to pick up the accent and mannerisms of the place to an extent. I've seen it many times. Bush hardly has the classic Texas drawl. But so effing what? Are you really using THAT to dump on him? How petty can you possiblly get?

And of course I NEVER claimed that that part of the film was altered. That's classic misdirection.

Hey, just trying to deal with you honestly. Is there any point to that? Guess not.

Collapse -
Actually his accent WAS the subject of my post
by Josh K / November 10, 2005 1:39 AM PST

You steered it away, towards the movie in which the piece of film was seen. I wasn't discussing the movie. I was discussing one piece of film that was NOT shot by Michael Moore.

You attempted to discredit the piece of film by virtue of its inclusion in Moore's movie. I'm glad you now are willing to accept that it wasn't altered.

Collapse -
I've seen similar clips elsewhere.
by Dan McC / November 10, 2005 4:41 AM PST

It might be the same clip, I suppose.

You don't think that, oh horror, bush might be putting on the whole Texas thing for political reasons? Could that be?

Dan

PS: You'd surprised how much easier it is to get people to accept a video fake as opposed to an audio fake.

Collapse -
I don't suppose......
by Josh K / November 10, 2005 4:51 AM PST

....that "Hi, I'm George W. Bush and I'm from Kennebunkport, Maine!" would go over quite the same way in the Red states.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Now that's a thought.
by Dan McC / November 10, 2005 4:55 AM PST
In reply to: I don't suppose......
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Al Franken could have written it LOL
by Evie / November 10, 2005 12:26 AM PST
In reply to: I loved this.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?