Computer Help forum

General discussion

TOO FAST error message screen

by not dead yet / March 5, 2010 12:32 AM PST

Lenovo SL400 with XP SP3: Booting into Windows, stopped partway, blue screen with eror message flashed on less than 1 second. I absolutely couldn't do anything but wipe everything and restore to factory settings. Since I still don't know what caused this (no new software, or hardware), what can I do to slow the screen down if the horrid event happens again? msconfig or something? There must be a simple way? THX!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TOO FAST error message screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TOO FAST error message screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You might try the Pause/Break key
by Steven Haninger / March 5, 2010 2:28 AM PST

I can't say it will work but you can't do much more. You might check event viewer if you can bet the PC to restart or it might have created a memory dump file if set up to do so. Those files, however, aren't for the everyday user but more valuable to the software developer in determining problems with code.

Collapse -
FAST error screen
by not dead yet / March 5, 2010 3:33 AM PST

Thanks. I was trying Fn+F11 (Pause) -- no go. Of course, when I wiped out everything, so went any messages. Event viewer is my constant companion now -- problems at log off/shutdown and startup, but error messages there not dire and hoping to figure them out. Eventually.

Collapse -
If you hit F8
by Jimmy Greystone / March 5, 2010 2:33 AM PST

If you hit F8 during the boot process, before Windows starts loading, there should be an option to disable rebooting on an error. That should let you see everything about the BSOD message.

Collapse -
too FAST error screen
by not dead yet / March 5, 2010 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: If you hit F8

Well, thanks for your input. I went thru dozens of options @ bootup. Lenovo has a Rescue & Recovery (not much good) which gives various options, but keys allowed are circular (F1 for BIOS setup, F11 for R&R), bringing back to the same place in a vicious cycle. Safe mode didn't work any better - partway thru loading: same blue flash error screen, back to the R&R screen. Options tried with no success: go to BIOS setup utility - startup - boot mode - Diagnostics - nothing helped. Since event viewer logs weren't available -- zip. System Test -- zip. Did get a notice of a "trouble ticket" located on Z:\ but what good was that with no access to hard drive until wiped. I could modify win.ini or boot.ini in msconfig but need precise advice on what to change. Oh misery!.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.