Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Too big to hang, killer dies in prison

by Mark5019 / February 8, 2006 12:01 AM PST

SPOKANE, Washington (AP) -- Mitchell Rupe, a former death row inmate once found too heavy to hang, died at the Washington State Penitentiary in Walla Walla following a long illness. He was 51.

Spokeswoman Lori Scamahorn said Rupe died Tuesday at the hospital inside the prison grounds. He had been there since January 3

Rupe shot two Olympia bank tellers to death at point-blank range during a 1981 robbery.

Juries twice sentenced him to death, but higher courts overturned the sentences

he aint heavy hes fat.good riddince

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Too big to hang, killer dies in prison
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Too big to hang, killer dies in prison
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If he remained that overweight
by Steven Haninger / February 8, 2006 12:07 AM PST

while in prison, certainly there should have been someone to sue for failure to provide him with a properly balanced diet that should have resolved this problem...don't ya' think? Wink

Collapse -
I don't know of any law
by TONI H / February 8, 2006 12:23 AM PST

that says prisoners have to be forced to eat a properly balanced diet.....and there is always the possibility that he deliberately kept his weight up in order to avoid that hanging, but contributed to bad health that killed him anyhow. Kind of ironic justice.

Collapse -
I remember this case from "back when" ...
by Evie / February 8, 2006 8:44 AM PST

... but can't seem to find a link. I remember at the time, that he had gained a lot of that weight while in prison -- perhaps as an out for the death sentence. After lethal injection was instituted, he was resentenced, but then got another sentencing hearing where the jury deadlocked (by a single juror) and it was converted to life without parole.

Collapse -
I remember reading about a man in the 1880's...
by Paul C / February 8, 2006 9:55 AM PST

...who was sentenced to hang for murder. It seems he gained some 30 pounds between the sentencing and the execution.

Alas, the hangman failed to recalculate the physics of the hanging to account for the extra weight, and when the trap door on the gallows opened, the hanging became a beheading... Sad

Collapse -
Your too late;)
by Glenda / February 8, 2006 12:42 AM PST

That advice may have saved him Devil

Collapse -
OK Sue, That's ''you're''. Now Evie, you can
by Jack Ammann / February 8, 2006 4:27 AM PST
In reply to: Your too late;)

...jump on Sue's ''Teach'' post...LOL...hehehe...hahaha...hohoho...bwhaaaaaaa....something about "glass houses" and "Clydesdales" comes to mind.

Collapse -
I'm going to get you
by Glenda / February 8, 2006 4:31 AM PST

for this }]:)

Collapse -
OK OK...That's the best offer I've had all day. Should I...
by Jack Ammann / February 8, 2006 7:51 AM PST
In reply to: I'm going to get you

...shave and bathe first?...LOL...hehehe

Collapse -
Yes... You should ;)
by Glenda / February 8, 2006 8:05 AM PST

It's always nice if the person attending their own funeral is nice and clean Devil

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Really good reply. You got me...I give up...LOL
by Jack Ammann / February 8, 2006 8:23 AM PST
In reply to: Yes... You should ;)
Collapse -
Ha! Jack admitting defeat?????
by Glenda / February 8, 2006 9:55 AM PST

Never did I think you would ever go so easy Devil That remark was my evil mind at work Sad

Collapse -
That was too good. I was laughing so hard, I couldn't...
by Jack Ammann / February 8, 2006 11:27 AM PST

...even type...so I just "gave up"...LOL. That was the "one-upmanship" of the highest order.

Collapse -
by Glenda / February 8, 2006 11:32 AM PST

Thank You, Thank You:)

Collapse -
I even called Lillie in to look at this, and...
by Jack Ammann / February 8, 2006 3:25 PM PST
In reply to: Bowing.........

...we laughed for a solid hour. And then she told me, You better do the Kenny Rogers trip on Sue...like, ''...know when to fold 'em and know when to walk away''...LOL..."'cuz you sure as hell ain't gonna hold 'em".

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Give Lillie a BIG Hug:)
by Glenda / February 9, 2006 2:11 AM PST
Collapse -
Glenda, if I ever want to
by Steven Haninger / February 8, 2006 8:23 PM PST

commit suicide but cannot bring myself to do it but can come up with a good zinger, hit you with it and dare you to respond, can I count on your help?? DevilHappy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Deal:)
by Glenda / February 9, 2006 2:09 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks Glenda, but just one promise
by Steven Haninger / February 9, 2006 2:25 AM PST

Make it quick..don't make me suffer like Jack. Devil

Collapse -
Real fast, I promise
by Glenda / February 9, 2006 2:27 AM PST

No dull knife for you Devil

Collapse -
Party Poopers!
by MarciaB / February 9, 2006 2:31 AM PST

Where's the entertainment in "swift justice" for the rest of us?

Collapse -
by Glenda / February 9, 2006 2:34 AM PST

You can help if you want too Devil A lot of men in here need to have some kind of justice Wink

Collapse -
I cry foul, MarshaB and Glenda
by Steven Haninger / February 9, 2006 3:02 AM PST

You're picking on men who grew up in an age where males were mostly raised by women. We are victims! We need love and understanding and not more torment. Happy

Collapse -
by Glenda / February 9, 2006 3:08 AM PST

looking for my itta bitty violin right now]:) No pity at all, Glenda Wink

Collapse -
Are you sure that, in a past life, you
by Steven Haninger / February 9, 2006 3:16 AM PST
In reply to: Steven.........

weren't seen in prime viewing seat at the Roman colosseum with both thumbs pointing earthward? Happy

Collapse -
Just Great!!! Steven
by Glenda / February 9, 2006 3:27 AM PST

Now you told everyone my secret!!! LOL

Collapse -
Key words..."...once found too heavy to hang.."
by John Robie / February 8, 2006 12:42 AM PST

As of June 6, 1996, execution in Washington State is carried out by lethal injection, unless the defendant chooses hanging.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Not fat, Mark -- "morbidly obese"
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / February 8, 2006 9:40 PM PST
Collapse -
see life in prisons good
by Mark5019 / February 8, 2006 9:42 PM PST

they feed well

Collapse -
Believe it or not, I would be
by Steven Haninger / February 8, 2006 9:44 PM PST

there are many...especially less educated...that would not understand the term "morbidly obese" but would see the clear picture if you said "fat". Besides, typing "fat" rather than the other term conserves energy. Devil

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?