Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Tony Stewart wins at Indy

by Evie / August 7, 2005 11:47 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tony Stewart wins at Indy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tony Stewart wins at Indy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Woo! Hoo!!!
by Glenda / August 8, 2005 3:24 AM PDT

I can see you now! Jumping and screamin' go Tony go!!!
LOL

Collapse -
Yea, also watched it....
by John Robie / August 8, 2005 9:59 AM PDT

and all of NASCAR races. He is getting up there with the D. Earnhart Jr & Jeff Gordon runners, doing pretty dang good this season with advert for Home Depot.

Get one of his $22(worth) jackets & other stuff:

http://www.hometeams.com/tostreja.html

Ugh, the fence climbing he started & now his crew...guess everyone has to start something new, like when the late
Alan Kulwicki started the Polish Reverse Victory Lap that many drivers do to also salute him. Also, the spin out (burning clouds of smoke to help with your cigs) in front that many have to do after a win...Oh well.....fans stay after the race for the excitement (and not get into the traffic jam too soon) which I have done when attending live NASCAR races.

Collapse -
Since you say you watch all of the races ...
by Evie / August 8, 2005 11:59 PM PDT

... I would be interested if you have any perception of the coverages between Fox and NBC. I find the former to be far superior. A replay of one of Sunday's crashes was from behind the safety fence in the stands -- IOW you could see diddly squat. Fox always has a ton of camera angles when someone bumps someone or gets them loose, etc., so it is pretty clear what happened. NBC doesn't seem to have nearly the amount of onboard cameras or other cameras/angles -- or they don't use them. It's not quite as bad as years past, but their obsession with Gordon is almost beyond bizarre. There will be times during a race when I'll say to my hubby something like "and now for several laps of following Gordon around the track in 20th place" -- and lo and behold if I'm not right!

Aww let Tony have the fences/ladder thing. We have good friends at the HD (that actually got us into Tony/NASCAR) and it has been a sort-of corporate thing that evolved from the first spontaneous climbing. Everyone seems to be having fun.

Looks like DE Jr. is out of the Chase this year -- save a very unlikely series of events. His race ending crash before the restart seemed bizarre! Didn't seem they were even going fast enough for him to shoot sideways like that even if nudged!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Yes,
by John Robie / August 9, 2005 6:44 AM PDT

also think the Fox broadcast is better than NBC. Course' NBC doesn't put out the money for good coverage of NASCAR , believe they would if they had the big contract with NASCAR that Fox has. The $$ are there for advertising with bigger audiences each year. It's the largest spectator sport in the US.

Dale Jr. did get hit pretty hard from the rear on that restart when he had to let up. Looks like way up front someone was letting a large gap accumulate when they should have been accelerating like everyone behind him was. Just glad that dart was to the infield instead of straight into the outside wall...like his father. Course' if his father had the safety equipment being used now, I think he would be running yet today. He was IMO the world greatest driver that lived or will ever live.

Jeff G. seems to have come down quite a bit since his divorce from the cute trophy girl or......

Collapse -
Hee hee hee ...
by Evie / August 10, 2005 1:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes,

... key word being OR .... Devil

Although Gordon had quite a comfortable lead on the championship in 2001, NBC spent lap after lap after lap following him around the track etc. No attention was paid to the fairness of the points system, etc.

In 2002, Tony won. It was a frustrating season to watch as they constantly went to Gordon. I love a LOT of the other drivers -- Gordon is not one of them because I don't suffer whiners and blamers well. While I could understand that to some extent as Gordon was reigning champ, I couldn't help but notice that it wasn't just "my guy" that was being relatively ignored.

Then in 2003, however, Tony was the reigning champ and it still seemed Gordon's face and camera time were as much or more than even the previous year. With Kenseth running away with it, even HE didn't get much respect -- rather I think they disrespected him in jumping on the bandwagon that because he was so far ahead (and not a favorite of the organization/networks I suppose) something had to be done to keep things more competitive -- hence the changes for the '04 season.

In 2004 they did an even worse snub on Kenseth as reigning champ. Granted Gordon had a more memorable season, but he is clearly a darling of the media while Kenseth was not even given the respect of being the reigning champ even though he had a respectable 8th place finish in the Cup Series.

Now in 2005 Gordon is in jeapordy of not making the Chase while Busch is in the hunt to repeat. The disparite coverage of those two racers (even if Busch is even less of a personal favorite) has been quite obvious.

Fox certainly has its favorites as well, but they seem to do a much better job of spreading around ''the love'' and face time in pre-race interviews etc. The announcers also seem to pay far more attention to what is going on in the race rather than going off on tangents while you can see developments on the screen w/o comment on NBC. OK, nuttin' I can do about it except hope ratings might cause NBC to get a clue!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
living in Texas have you
by kmarchal / August 9, 2005 7:21 AM PDT

done the Team Texas driving experience?

http://www.teamtexas.com/
I have driven the #22 Cat and the #20 Home Depot
one word (SWEET)

If you have not done this and if you can you should.
I can't wait to do it again I just don't know if i will do road course first before going back to the Texas Motor speedway.

you Quoted Will Rogers

Will Rogers quote I like "If Stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"

And Evie you should also, I bet you will love it

Collapse -
Re: Team Texas
by John Robie / August 9, 2005 7:43 AM PDT

I've heard about it and wish I could participate, but age and health keeps me from it. When I was a teenager I used to drive stock cars around the circle but never won anything, and then later when Go Karts came into being I won some trophys.

My son has mentioned about going when he can get some time off from work. He is a big NASCAR fan and with friends attend the Texas Speedway sometimes them renting a Motor Home and make a 'good ole boy' time of it.

Ole Will Rogers, a man with sayings before his time. Saw a special on him in one of the Discovery channels some time ago, and was amazed at how good he was with a rope.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Drives circles around his competition! ;-)
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / August 8, 2005 10:17 PM PDT
Collapse -
Busch tells Roush bye-bye
by kmarchal / August 9, 2005 3:49 AM PDT

hope he goes to Penske not DEI or JGR...not a Kurt Busch fan

Collapse -
When a quarter-million folks scream encouragement...
by Paul C / August 9, 2005 11:18 AM PDT

...in unison, it's truly scary; and I was one of them, and I don't really LIKE Tony Stewart! (maybe it's his past?) A few laps later, when Kasey Kahne repassed Stewart, the groan was even louder. When Stewart passed Kahne for the last time, I could have sworn that the Speedway's roofs over the atands were shaking!

Whether it's his move back here to Indiana, or just growing up, Tony Stewart has managed to exorcise the demons that once plagued him. BTW, he becomes the first native Hoosier (Jeff Gordon was born in California and moved here at age 7) since Wilbur Shaw in 1940 to win a race at the Speedway.

Collapse -
OK so it wasn't just me then ...
by Evie / August 10, 2005 2:05 AM PDT

... I commented several times to my husband that I didn't recall ever hearing fan noise crowding out the car noise at a track, but it seemed to do just that! So you were there huh? That's our goal for next year -- to go to at least one race. Maybe we'll still try for Loudon this fall.

I've always felt Tony got a BIT of a bum rap as a "bad boy". Not excusing some of the stuff he did, but it does seem he is often scrutinized for his temper more than others -- sometimes little flares that would be written off for others would make the highlights of prerace the next week. Maybe it is because the likes of Jimmy Spencer (glad he's gone personally) weren't in the hunt for the championship, and of course it could just be my perception as a fan (although I'm not known for being blinded by such). All reports and interviews I've seen indicate that moving back home has had a positive impact on his attitude. It was neat to see him so giddy after the win. I hope this "new Tony" is here to stay.

Evie Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!