Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Tonight was a very good night...

by Blake Cook / July 7, 2004 2:33 PM PDT

Tonight, I shook the hand of the next President of the US, John Kerry. When I woke up this morning, I had no idea that John Kerry or John Edwards would even be in town...

This afternoon, I received a phone call from a friend telling me that John Kerry and John Edwards would be speaking at the Coliseum here in St. Pete tonight. At first I didn't believe her, but she insisted that it was true. The Coliseum is only about a 10 minute drive for me. My friend told me that John Kerry and John Edwards would start speaking at around 10 PM, but that people were being told to show up around 7:30 to be guaranteed a seat. The Coliseum only holds 2000 people. Since I couldn't show up early, I arrived at the Coliseum at 9:30 PM. There was a huge line that encircled 2 large city blocks. I knew I wouldn't be allowed in, but I stayed in line just in case...

Sure enough, they closed the doors after 2000 people were allowed in. Many people turned around and walked away, but the vast majority stood outside in front of the Coliseum for the entire event. Speakers were brought out so that we could hear what was being said. I would estimate that there was a crowd of about 4,000-5,000 standing outside listening to what was being said inside. Of course there were a few Kerry haters outside who heckled everything that was said, making it difficult for some to hear. But tonight was our night...

I managed to debate several of GW's faithful who were just about as clueless as they could be. I can't believe all the things I was told tonight by some of them. It's no wonder that so many people still support GW. Most probably have no clue what he has done to this country or the world during the last 3+ years. I think I was able to get through to at least one lady. A couple of other Kerry supporters near me felt that they made headway with a couple of GW's faithful as well. I think we did a lot of good tonight on the outside, so most of us weren't upset that we didn't get to see or hear Kerry and Edwards inside...

As the Kerry/Edwards motorcade was leaving, it passed right in front of the Coliseum where we were standing. John Kerry and John Edwards stopped the car and all the Secret Police hopped out. Both John Kerry and John Edwards came out to meet the people who hadn't had a chance to see or hear them inside. I was lucky enough to shake John Kerry's hand, but not John Edwards'. I wonder if GW will ever go off the military bases to meet and greet his supporters or if he will ever allow those who disagree with him to attend his events???

I think we here in St. Pete impressed John Kerry and John Edwards as much as they impressed us, and on top of all that, we may have converted a few of GW's faithful as well. Tonight was a very good night...

Give Peace A Chance. Pass It On!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tonight was a very good night...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tonight was a very good night...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Tonight was a very good night...
by Mary Kay / July 7, 2004 10:39 PM PDT

It's really refreshing to see someone take their politics to the level of real participation. So many people are apathetic or uninformed. And many are so self centered that their choices are made for their personal financial gain. Good for you, Blake

Collapse -
Truly Refreshing...
by Blake Cook / July 8, 2004 5:13 AM PDT
It's really refreshing to see someone take their politics to the level of real participation. So many people are apathetic or uninformed - Mary Kay

What I found really refreshing is that there were no "Free Speech Zones" created far from the event, like those created and enforced for GW's speeches. Everyone was welcome to come, hear, and see what John Kerry and John Edwards had to say. Of course the GW faithful preferred to chatter over the speeches and probably didn't hear a word that either candidate had to say. But no one forced them to leave. The fact that we were able to discuss our differences probably helped in diminishing those differences...

In addition, GW has never bothered coming to St. Pete. Most of his events are held on military bases, where he is safe and the audience is compliant. You will never see a soldier holding a Kerry/Edwards sign at any of GW's excursions because they are prevented from doing so, by law...

Kerry doesn't appear to be afraid to hear from those who disagree with him. He doesn't seem to be afraid to allow any of them to attend his events. It is truly refreshing to see a candidate who believes that public political events are for all, not just the party faithful...
Collapse -
Re: Truly Refreshing... Blake, Get all of the facts out.....
by Glenda / July 8, 2004 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Truly Refreshing...

"In addition, GW has never bothered coming to St. Pete. Most of his events are held on military bases, where he is safe and the audience is compliant. You will never see a soldier holding a Kerry/Edwards sign at any of GW's excursions because they are prevented from doing so, by law..."

You are right, By law the Military is not allowed to hold any political sign when in uniform! Not even President Bush signs. You make it sound as if the President prevents our Military members from voting their choice, Absolutely NOT true.
Glenda

Collapse -
"Free Speech Zones"...
You make it sound as if the President prevents our Military members from voting their choice, Absolutely NOT true. - Glenda

My dear friend, I wasn't saying that GW has the power to control the fingers of our military when they are placing their votes. But sadly our troops cannot publicly disagree with their "Commander-in-Chief", or they could be severely reprimanded. When GW holds his "public" speeches at military bases where mostly the military are allowed to attend, while those who disagree with his views are ushered to far away "Free Speech Zones", it should be perfectly clear what GW is doing. GW makes sure that there is NEVER any sign of dissent at any of his "public" events...

It is refreshing to see that John Kerry allows everyone to attend his PUBLIC events. America belongs to Conservative and Liberal alike, not just the Republican party faithful...
Collapse -
Err.....Blake...
by John Robie / July 8, 2004 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: "Free Speech Zones"...

While I was in the military, Presidents Truman, Ike, JFK, LBJ, and Nixon utilized AF One which landed at nearby USAF airbase if available per instruction from the Secret Service. I attended several of those landings and the President would give a little speech which the press would later publish in the newspaper. The presidents also attended off base functions giving speeches. Before they were elected they were like Kerry, traveling by train, bus, or private aircraft to give speeches wherever. If Kerry should ever become President, surely he will use AF One and land at AF bases as insisted on by the Secret Service, and give speeches at the base.

Collapse -
Using Bases as a Shield...
by Blake Cook / July 8, 2004 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Err.....Blake...
While I was in the military, Presidents Truman, Ike, JFK, LBJ, and Nixon utilized AF One which landed at nearby USAF airbase if available per instruction from the Secret Service. - John Robie

I don't have a problem with Air Force One landing at military bases. That's only logical if a base is in the vicinity. I do have a problem with GW's "Free Speech Zones" though where dissenters are ushered far away from his PUBLIC events. In addition, both Clinton and Gore traveled off of the military bases after AF1 landed for their PUBLIC events once Clinton was elected. I don't remember Clinton using the bases as a shield, which clearly protects GW from his dissenters...
Collapse -
Re: Using Bases as a Shield...
by John Robie / July 8, 2004 7:32 AM PDT

Can't say about Clinton/Gore as I have never read anything about them not giving a speech when landing at a protected/shielded USAF base. So also can't say they did not use that as a 'shield'.

I did once attend a landing of GWB senior where he gave a speech as Vice President and never saw a 'protection' against dissenters as I don't think there were any dissenters within 500 miles. Happy

Collapse -
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / July 9, 2004 8:49 AM PDT

Hi, J.

I heard Gore give a speech here in Galveston in the 2000 campaign. All were welcome, including demonstrators with Bush signs -- and Gore was the VP at the time. Bush orchestrates his rallies the way dictators do, not like the President of what's supposedly the greatest Democracy in the world.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
by John Robie / July 9, 2004 9:06 AM PDT

Re: "Bush orchestrates his rallies the way dictators do..."

Wow! If that was true every newsperson worth any salt would have jumped square on that with hands & feet and we would have read about it in numerious media publications including world-wide TV, especially Aljazeer.

Presidents, including Clinton orchestrate their rallies according to the safety of the President within dictates of the Secret Service.

Collapse -
You don't 'remember' Bush doing such either...
by Edward ODaniel / July 10, 2004 2:05 AM PDT

as he has not done so.

He, like every other president, speaks to the troops on their installations but doesn't campaign there as doing so is rather pointless.

You seem to have confused the duties of a CinC regarding troops and campaigning. There are no "free speech zones" on installations although depending on the installation entry is forbidden to most non-military.

Kerry has a long record of screening the audience allowed into his little forums of the faithful as well as heckling persons who have the audacity to ask him questions he isn't prepared to answer.

Your overactive imagination is showing again.

Collapse -
Also, Edward...
by J. Vega / July 10, 2004 12:01 PM PDT

Also, Edward, when Air Force One puts into a civilian airport, the President get off to whatever event, later returns, and takes off for elsewhere, the effect on the civilian commercial airport can be, shall we say disrupting, while AF1 is there. Military bases can deal with such, including security down to the level of checked fuel and refueling personnel, as just a part of on hand normal security.

Collapse -
My dear friend, I wasn't saying that .................
by Glenda / July 8, 2004 7:21 AM PDT

First off, let me make very clear, I am NOT your dear friend! And the rest of your reply is as much BS as the dear friend is.
Glenda

Collapse -
Give Peace and Love a Chance...
by Blake Cook / July 8, 2004 7:31 AM PDT
First off, let me make very clear, I am NOT your dear friend! - Glenda

It won't hurt my feelings if you refuse to accept my friendship. But you should realize that you cannot choose who I consider to be my friend. My Christian values allow me to realize that we are all brothers and sisters, as well as God's children and that we should all love one another. You can choose hate if you prefer. I prefer to Give Peace and Love a Chance...

This reminds me of a very old song:

"Jesus loves the little children,
all the children of the world.
Black and yellow, red and white
They're all precious in His sight
Jesus loves the little children of the world

Whether you're rich or whether you're poor
It matters not to Him
He remembers where you're going
Not where you've been

Jesus loves the little children
All the children of the world

If your heart is troubled
Don't worry, don't you fret
He knows that you have heard His call
And he won't forget

All around the world tonight
His children rest assured
That He will watch and He will keep us
Safe and secure

Jesus loves the little children of the world"
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That was really nice Blake!
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / July 8, 2004 7:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Give Peace and Love a Chance... LOLOL OK..........
by Glenda / July 8, 2004 9:50 AM PDT

Sorry once bitten twice shy:)
Glenda

Collapse -
Expecting More...
by Blake Cook / July 8, 2004 1:31 PM PDT
Sorry once bitten twice shy - Glenda

That's alright. I didn't expect anything more from you my friend. Don't allow your hate to consume you though... Happy
Collapse -
Re: Expecting More...LOL
by Glenda / July 8, 2004 2:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Expecting More...

Hate? LOL Don't flatter yourself! Consume? I consume myself with things that interest me! I learned a long time ago to not be concerned about things that are not important:)
What I am concerned about is anyone THINKING that I am your friend Blake!
Glenda

Collapse -
Don't Lose Any Sleep Over It...
by Blake Cook / July 8, 2004 2:44 PM PDT
What I am concerned about is anyone THINKING that I am your friend Blake! - Glenda

I doubt that there is a person in this forum who would ever make the mistake of believing that I am your friend. You've worn your hate on your sleeve for a very long time for all to see. So don't lose any sleep over this little thing my friend. I certainly won't...
Collapse -
Re: Don't Lose Any Sleep Over It...LMAO:)
by Glenda / July 8, 2004 4:12 PM PDT

You are truly one funny man! You always have a comeback, Do you really think your feelings about different members, besides me are hidden? You make me laugh! When have you seen a post from me that say's I hate you? I don't hate you, Blake, I just have no use for your values and beliefs. A big difference there!
BTW So you don't worry, I am off to bed now:)
Glenda

Collapse -
Your SE Guardian...
by Blake Cook / July 8, 2004 6:19 PM PDT
When have you seen a post from me that say's I hate you? - Glenda

It seems that your SE guardian doesn't want anyone to read the answer. My first reply was removed, yet I got no removal notice. So I thought maybe a software glitch so I reposted. Wouldn't you know, my post was quickly removed again and again no removal notice. Nothing in my reply was even remotely a TOS violation since it only included your statements that are still public here in SE, your question from above, and a definition of Hate from Websters' and WordNet's dictionaries. I doubt that Websters' or WordNet's definitions are CNET TOS violations, so the only other thing that it could be are your own words and statements, which I included in my post...

It seems that your SE guardian is protecting you again tonight as usual. Oh well, at least I tried to answer your question...
Collapse -
Re: really? i read it
by jonah jones / July 8, 2004 7:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Your SE Guardian...

and this --> #since it only included your statements that are still public here in SE#

makes you a liar...

Collapse -
Re: Your SE Guardian...LMAO here!.........
by Glenda / July 9, 2004 12:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Your SE Guardian...

MY SE Guardian?????? And who would that be??? I have a post pulled too! Just hoped you had a chance to read it before it was pulled:) Unfortunatly I missed what you said:( Oh well, don't worry you will get the chance to post more nasties to me:)
Glenda

Collapse -
Re: Give Peace and Love a Chance, but
by jonah jones / July 8, 2004 3:21 PM PDT

you continue to throw throw the words hate, hatred, and haters to all four corners....

practice what you preach blake, just this once?

Collapse -
The Difference Between Observing and Exercising Hate...
by Blake Cook / July 8, 2004 3:34 PM PDT
you continue to throw throw the words hate, hatred, and haters to all four corners.... - jonah jones

There's a huge difference between observing hate and exercising it. I'm sure that God can see hate all around and wouldn't hesitate to say so. But I doubt that many would claim that God is a hateful God...
Collapse -
Hey James!
by Evie / July 8, 2004 10:23 PM PDT

Looks like all your "thumping" is paying off LOL Devil

Collapse -
Re: Give Peace and Love a Chance...oh come on
by Glenda / July 10, 2004 11:37 AM PDT

give peas a chance

eat corn

hehehe Glenda

Collapse -
Bush controling the votes...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / July 8, 2004 7:32 AM PDT
"I wasn't saying that GW has the power to control the fingers of our military when they are placing their votes." - Blake Cook KE4ME

He doesn't have to worry about that. Diebold will probably take care of that for him...
Collapse -
Re: Truly Refreshing?
by jonah jones / July 8, 2004 3:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Truly Refreshing...

as an objective (i.e. i don't vote in the US) reader of that post i reach the conclusion that A: Bush (as president) seldom appears in PUBLIC places?, ergo, the next president will seldom appear in PUBLIC places?

B: bush (as president) appears in front of military personnel due to the fact that he lands at USAF bases? ergo, the next president will do the same?

#Kerry doesn't appear to be afraid to hear from those who disagree with him. He doesn't seem to be afraid to allow any of them to attend his events. It is truly refreshing to see a candidate who believes that public political events are for all, not just the party faithful#

you imply that people attending PUBLIC events are screened by the speaker?

well, i just hope your entry pass to USAF bases is up to date blake, cos guess what? the next president of the US will continue to land at USAF bases, he will continue to talk to military personnel and if you think you stand a snowballs chance in hell to get close enough to the next president (no matter who wins the election) to shake his hand.... don't hold your breath...

Collapse -
The Party Faithful...
by Blake Cook / July 8, 2004 4:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Truly Refreshing?
as an objective (i.e. i don't vote in the US) reader of that post i reach the conclusion that A: Bush (as president) seldom appears in PUBLIC places?, ergo, the next president will seldom appear in PUBLIC places? - jonah jones

Strange logic here jonah. Just because GW makes tons of mistakes and avoids the public doesn't mean all US presidents past or future act the same. When Clinton was in town, a lot of people complained because the Interstate highways were shut down for a short while, while his motorcade passed by. All of Clinton's visits to the Tampa Bay area while he was President were held off-site of the local AFB. The same was true everywhere Clinton traveled. Reagan and Bush Sr also traveled off-base most of the time to visit the public. GW is the first pResident that I know of who refuses to leave these military bases...

B: bush (as president) appears in front of military personnel due to the fact that he lands at USAF bases? ergo, the next president will do the same? - jonah jones

Refer to my discussion above...

you imply that people attending PUBLIC events are screened by the speaker? - jonah jones

Nope, the public is screened by GW's entourage. They ask you directly if you are registered Republican or Democrat. If you say Democrat, you are blocked from entry. If you carry a Kerry sign, you are blocked from entry. If you manage to get in and openly voice disagreement with GW, you are quickly ushered out of the event. If you are not a Republican who supports GW, you are not welcome at his "public" events...

the next president of the US will continue to land at USAF bases, he will continue to talk to military personnel and if you think you stand a snowballs chance in hell to get close enough to the next president (no matter who wins the election) to shake his hand.... don't hold your breath... - jonah jones

Since Israel is a military state, I'm not surprised in your misguided views about how our politics work. When Kerry is elected US President in November, it is highly likely that he will continue to meet and greet the public, as did most of his predecessors, in truly PUBLIC environments. President Kerry won't need military bases or "Free Speech Zones" to protect himself from the public since he truly believes in Free Speech for all, not just the party faithful...

Perhaps this link will prove educational to you jonah. It provides a bunch of links that you can read on GW's "Free Speech Zones". No other President to my knowledge has ever resorted to using these...
Collapse -
Re: The Party Faithful...Darn, Can't resist!!!
by Glenda / July 8, 2004 4:18 PM PDT
In reply to: The Party Faithful...

"you imply that people attending PUBLIC events are screened by the speaker? - jonah jones"

"Nope, the public is screened by GW's entourage. They ask you directly if you are registered Republican or Democrat. If you say Democrat, you are blocked from entry. If you carry a Kerry sign, you are blocked from entry. If you manage to get in and openly voice disagreement with GW, you are quickly ushered out of the event. If you are not a Republican who supports GW, you are not welcome at his "public" events..."

How would President Bush do this: (Nope, the public is screened by GW's entourage. They ask you directly if you are registered Republican or Democrat. If you say Democrat, you are blocked from entry.)
Since YOU are not in the Military and YOU KNOW President Bush NEVER leaves the base, HOW does the PUBLIC get turned away??????????
LOL AGAIN! Happy
Glenda

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?