Computer Help forum

General discussion

Toni Hackler -- over here please.

Hi Toni -- I couldn't think of a way to get your attention, thus the subject of post (LOL). Hope you are doing good. I don't come here like I used to -- don't seem to have the problems that I had when I first started computing 6 years ago.

Several years ago when I first started with cnet (zdnet), you had a website where you showed recommended settings for internet security -- at least I think it was you -- that's only been about 5-6 years ago that I'm trying to remember this from, so bear with me please.

Anyway, I am looking for recommended settings for what should be checked under the Advanced tab (Windows 98SE and also XP). Do you still have your website -- I thought I bookmarked it 4 years ago, but don't seem to find my link for it. Do you have this information where I could print off --- or do you know of a site where I could get this information?

Thanks for any help.

Julea

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toni Hackler -- over here please.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toni Hackler -- over here please.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Toni's Site

In reply to: Toni Hackler -- over here please.

Toni's site is PC Warfare, but I don't know if the listings you require are there.

Collapse -
Thanks for your response Paul --

In reply to: Toni's Site

what do you mean PC warfare ---- do you mean it if no longer, or it pertains to other stuff?

I wish I still had the link, but at the time I visited her site 5-6 years ago, I was just beginning to learn about my PC. I'd worked for 30 years and the last 10 did word processing and desktop publishing. It was until after I retired that I wanted to learn what makes a PC beep when it should bop (LOL)!

I just thought that's where I saw what I'm looking for. I have the info about security tab settings, but I need the info for thea advanced tab settings.

Julea

Collapse -
Julea, Not Toni...But..

Collapse -
No -- this is for the security tab -- I'm looking for the

In reply to: Julea, Not Toni...But..

advanced tab information.

Thanks Grif for your response.

Julea

Collapse -
I found it but not at Toni's site (LOL)!

In reply to: Julea, Not Toni...But..

I went to dogpile and typed in:

Internet Options+advanced tab

There were many links that came up, but I did come across this one:

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/6774/advancedopts.htm

I think it will give me the info I'm looking for.

Grif --- just for curiosity -- what are your feelings about the example shown? Would you mind going to that site and see if you agree/disagree? I trust your judgment very much on something like this.

Thanks.

Julea

Collapse -
Hey, Julea

Crashed and burned early last night.....I've been working on rebuilding my landscaping gardens and fishponds here now that the house construction is done and I can get back to playing in the dirt.

My new site is http://www.pcwarfare.com and although it's nowhere near being done, it's also been completely revamped and has much more (or will have soon) than my original site had. There is a link for IE tips, including the security settings I use. Hope they help like you want..... http://www.pcwarfare.com/ie.toc.htm

If you can't find what you want on the IE page, you can try looking at the Virus Info page here which has more security settings info: http://www.pcwarfare.com/av.toc.htm

TONI

Collapse -
Thank you Toni

In reply to: Hey, Julea

I was hoping to hear from you and so glad you are feeling good and playing in the dirt. I always liked to do that as a child, but not now (LOL)! Can you believe I've known you for 5 years? Wish I could remember how I ever got to zdnet as I've met many great people here. I think what I did back then was a search for computer help forums and at that time, zdnet was very near the top if not at the top of the list.

Anyway, I have bookmarked the links you've provided and I will check those sites out. Now that I know how I will retain those bookmarks and visit your site more.

As you can see from my post above, I did find what I was looking for (I think -- haven't had a chance to study it yet) and again, use the search method. I help teach PC classes these days so you know the old saying -- "You've come a long way baby."

We have a local computer club with about 300 members and we have a fabulous new training center with 17 PC's that were donated to us by a company in NYC. I was elected to the board 2 years ago and found out afterwards that position entailed helping teach PC classes, if at all possible. My term expires next month, but they're putting me up for re-election. I'm glad because I love it! I help with Getting Started with Computers; Basic Computing; Internet; Email; and PC Maintenance.

Don't know if you know this, but zdnet is where I gained most of my computer knowledge. After working for almost 30 years and the last 10 doing word processing and desktop publishing, I wanted to know what made the computer tick. Thanks to cnet and our club, it's working.

Have a great day and I'll see you again. Thanks for your post.

Julea

Collapse -
Venture over to the "Newbies" Forum here

In reply to: Thank you Toni

once in a while and share your knowledge with ones who are where you and I started off..heheheh

Fortunately for all of us, with advances in technology being an everyday occurrance, we will all remain newbies and keep learning from each other...

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Golly is that right! I'll check that forum out.

In reply to: Venture over to the "Newbies" Forum here

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!