The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Tom, seriously? A 19-inch TV?

by Raj Kataria / June 28, 2006 3:22 AM PDT

Tom, usually I'm on your side, but seriously, no one WANTS a 19-inch TV.

Some people might want a nice little white flat-panel as a stylish accessory for their kitchen or bedroom, but if price were not an object, everyone would be getting 42-inch flat-panel HD sets for their living rooms.

Unfortunately, as Molly pointed out, the high price is the substantial barrier to entry, but once that comes down, then you'll definitely start seeing events like the World Cup, the NFL season, and Steven Seagal DVD releases making a significant impact on sales of HDTVs.

Listen to the ladies on this one, it's America, everyone wants the Super Size!
Matt

P.S. As for your ''small apartment'' theory, I can see how some cramped renters might THINK that a 37 or 42-inch flat-panel would be too big, but in reality, I have one in my 600 sq. ft. apartment in SF, and the footprint is smaller than the 25-inch CRT behemoth (circa 1987) that it replaced.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tom, seriously? A 19-inch TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tom, seriously? A 19-inch TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Agree with Tom somewhat....
by dro0001 / June 28, 2006 3:26 AM PDT

I do somewhat agree with Tom. I really don't want a big, ugly (even big plasmas are ugly) TV floating around my living room. I do want a big TV though (I am a guy after all), but I want it in a den/basement area, out of the way, with the rest of my home theater stuff. In my living room, I'd be happy with a small 27-32" TV, tucked away somewhere with no receiver or anything. I mean, when most of us simply watch network TV, why do you need 62" televisions with surround sound?

Collapse -
Different rooms, different needs
by frank1220 / June 28, 2006 3:30 AM PDT

Good point on that. I'd like to have a nice big screen in a den/home theatre/etc., but for elsewhere in the house, I'd like something more flexible.

I've actually been looking for a new house lately, and wish I had lots of money to spend on TVs. For a living room/kitchen/etc type area, I'd like to be able to get some smaller flat screens, throw them up on some wall mounts so they're out of the way, but can be adjusted to view from anywhere. The only problem with that is the fact that so many digital cable boxes aren't really set up for a wall mount . . .

Just a thought on that, has anyone mounted a digital cable or satellite box vertically on a wall mount, say, behind the TV, with a small mirror or something to reflect the signal to the IR receiver?

Collapse -
Kitchen Solution
by SantiagoCrespo / June 28, 2006 4:22 AM PDT

place the TV relatively near to a kitchen cabinet, that way you can throw the set-top box inside the cabinet (with a little peephole for the IR signal, or mount it underneath it, which isn't as cool, but will give you quicker access to the buttons it has.

Collapse -
We live in a country that likes to compare boat lengths
by csliva11 / June 28, 2006 3:57 AM PDT

I for one am looking for a quality 37" LCD TV and not a big mamajama plasma tv. My apartment living room is only so big, so the tv has to be proportional with the rest of the room. Maybe that's just the architect in me.

mahna-mahna

Collapse -
I'm with Tom (or I'm who he was talking about, I'm not sure)
by driftingdragonfly / June 28, 2006 5:02 AM PDT

The first time I ever saw HD was a World Cup game a week ago. I kept switching from ESPN to ESPNHD and marveling at the score banner. I would really like to see every game in HD.

But I would be happy with a 20-something inch TV. I might prefer it. If it's clear enuf you can just sit closer to the TV. Just writing this my neck is starting to ache with the memory of sitting in the front of the theater and having to turn my head side to side to follow the action.

Collapse -
Two words: Dorm rooms
by rtemp / June 28, 2006 6:25 AM PDT

Have any of you guys seen a TV bigger than 25 inches in a dorm room? Because I sure haven't, and I've spent 2 years living in one. 19's and 20's are the ideal sizes.

I currently have a 20-inch flat CRT that is the perfect size for what I need (and it's portable enough that I can move it places). Would I love a bigger TV? Absolutely. Could I fit it in my little Suzuki? Probably not very easily or comfortably.

The biggest TV that my family has right now is a 42-inch projection set (circa 1994, and is currently in working condition thanks to a plastic knife). All of the others are 20 inches or less.

In short: leave Tom alone. We need new-technology TV's in a wider range of sizes, and they absolutely need to be cheaper.

-Ryan

Collapse -
I use a 19 inch...
by shantanubala / June 28, 2006 6:30 AM PDT

My family does have a 51 inch, but I never watch stuff on it. I watch my TV on a little 19 inch. Reason: My good old N64 is hooked up to it, and the TV is a fairly good size.

-Shantanu

Collapse -
20 inch tvs
by SantiagoCrespo / June 28, 2006 6:36 AM PDT

My ideal setup would not involve a 5,000 dollar 50 inch plasma, at all, whatsoever. I'd use a 2,000 dollar projector, with all the other money going towards sound. I would love smaller tvs (15-20inch) for kitchen, computer, bedroom, bathroom, etc.

Collapse -
I've got you beat...
by Ravensblood / June 28, 2006 8:07 AM PDT

I have a 37" Panasonic Plasma in my 330 square foot NYC apartment. it's a perfect fit.

What sucks is that in NYC on Time Warner Cable, we don't get ESPNHD or ESPN2HD, so aside from the weekend matches on ABCHD we are stuck watching analog!!!! ARGH!!

Collapse -
19" is fine with me
by RoboticUAV / June 29, 2006 4:59 AM PDT

Personally I like sitting in front of my 19" CRT and watching TV a lot better than in fron of a big flat panel.

Just my $0.02...

Collapse -
Really?
by brianmartin / June 29, 2006 6:33 AM PDT
In reply to: 19" is fine with me

So if someone were to say have your pick between this nice new Panasonic 50'' plasma and a 19'' Zenith CRT, you'd choose the Zenith?

Every TV has it's place, but if price weren't a factor, I think you'd see a lot more people settling in the 37'' - 50'' range. I can see the smaller 27'' - 37'' sets for smaller rooms.

That's my $0.02 too, so now we're up to $0.04... a few more people and we might be able to get a gumball! Wink

Mike

Collapse -
19" maybe not, 26" defnitely
by timtilley / July 3, 2006 6:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Really?

We still have our 20" CRT we bought 6 years ago and for us its fine. I think the largest our living room could take is about 26". Anything larger would be too overpowering.

Of course, in our house TV isn't the most important thing and we try to keep it switched off most of the time not only because we prefer to talk to each other, but we don't want our 2 children to grow up with a 10 second attention span and no imagination.

Collapse -
Who wants a 19 inch TV?
by mattmoris / June 29, 2006 6:07 AM PDT

I know, who wants a 19 inch TV? I've got one since I'm a student and can't afford anything more, but I would love a bigger TV! I hate that I can't see this one from my bed. I wouldn't say I want a 50 inch TV (my room is too small), but something between 30 and 40 inches would be great. If only money were no object.

Collapse -
I agree a little with Tom
by runescapehackerpro / June 29, 2006 6:44 AM PDT

I don't agree with the 19" TV, but I agree that some people cannot seem to justify upgrading to a 50" plasma. It would be nice to have, but I can wait until price is more reasonable. I was one of the last to switch from cassettes to CDs and one of the last to buy a DVD player.

Collapse -
Some HDTVS don't cost a fortune.
by snodman / June 29, 2006 9:40 AM PDT

For all those who can't imagine spending thousands of $$ on a TV - I noticed a 30'' widescreen CRT HDTV today at Costco for $499. It looked pretty good and weighed about 1/3 what my 10 year old Sony 32'' standard TV does.

Collapse -
when a large-screen TV is too big
by beelissa / July 1, 2006 1:43 PM PDT

There is this tiny little house down the road from us. It's really close to the road, and in the front room, opposite the front window, they have this HUGE TV. You can see it through the window, and it is clear that the wall this TV is up against is not very far away from the window and therefore, the opoosite wall.

I've never been inside this house, and I don't know the people who live there, but every time I see that TV I wonder how it must feel to be in that room watching it. It just seems like it would feel like you were in the front row at the movie theater, which is something I am not a fan of, either.

We have a large TV, maybe 25 inches? That's the biggest I want, unless I get a bigger house.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.