The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Tom Merritt's Leaving BOL

by Slikkster / April 17, 2010 7:20 AM PDT

Don't know if people noticed Dr. Archipelago's post below, but Tom's headed for TWIT-land.

Thoughts?

http://www.tommerritt.com/ for the details.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tom Merritt's Leaving BOL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tom Merritt's Leaving BOL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tom is the yin to Molly's yang
by minimalist / April 17, 2010 7:49 AM PDT

I'm gonna miss him. These shows are all sort of interrelated though so I'm sure he'll be back on occasionally or Molly will show up on whatever TWIT show he works on. In the meantime, Molly and Jason and revolving guests will carry the show just fine.

Collapse -
Tom Merritt's Leaving BOL
by wizkids32 / April 17, 2010 7:52 AM PDT

Old news and he will be missed I guess we are back to the revolving co-hosts that is always fun.

Collapse -
Wow...
by paintguru / April 17, 2010 9:00 AM PDT

Thanks for the update...it will be interesting to see what he does at TWiT. IMO, he is by far the most well informed, level headed, and professional tech pundit out there, so he is a great addition to the TWiT network (they sorely need "well informed").

Collapse -
WHAT?
by Nicholas Buenk / April 17, 2010 2:09 PM PDT

But he's... like the shows anchor. Show without him, I wonder if it will even last.

Anyway, after what, 5 years of listening to him 5 times a week. Feels almost like losing a friend.

Collapse -
(NT) Dislike
by kwahhn / April 18, 2010 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: WHAT?
Collapse -
agreed, dislike...but...
by shmody / April 18, 2010 6:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Dislike

wow...

Tom, thanks soo much for using your smarts, talents, and insights when telling us what's going on and really *listening* to the listeners. I think it has made so supported making BOL so invaluable.

I knew that something like this was going happen eventually - I mean, 6 years is like 5983723^1e45 internet years! But, somehow I'm reminded of "the more things change, the more they stay the same"...maybe we don't have to fret too much? Ponder that! Wink

Warmest wishes Tom - be well, have fun, and go get'em! Wink

Best,
Shalin

Collapse -
RE: Tom Merritt's Leaving BOL
by Jake732 / April 17, 2010 4:29 PM PDT

I wish Molly Wood would leave instead of Tom Merritt.

She knows very little about tech, but she's a blabbermouth that annoys the hell out of me.

Collapse -
Good for Tom
by isting / April 19, 2010 1:10 AM PDT

This will give him freedom to do some new things that he wants to do. I also hope that he can bring more structure to the TWiT podcasts. Many of the TWiT podcasts ramble on stray off course frequently. There are also no "well actually" emails. You have to be in the chat room to have the possibility of correcting Leo.

Collapse -
Maybe he can rein in the Twitter gushing too.
by minimalist / April 19, 2010 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Good for Tom

I love me some Leo but the Twitter love-fests on his shows get old. Mostly its just the digerati stroking each others egos about how many followers they have.

Tom knows how to stay on topic.

Collapse -
I agree
by Magishine / April 19, 2010 6:01 AM PDT

TWiT seems to be a lot about ego stroking nowadays. Either with Twitter followers or how much money Leo can blow. Don't get me started on Calicanis.

Still, Tom moving to TWiT is one step closer to reviving the TechTV days. Grin

Collapse -
Sad to say good bye
by Mouse77e / April 19, 2010 6:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Good for Tom

Mate - who will lead me to a Newcastle Brown or Boddingtons in SF?

Collapse -
Not necessarily sad....
by Magishine / April 19, 2010 6:04 AM PDT

...I mean, yeah, it's sad in that BoL is losing a major host, but everything Tom does when it comes to podcasting turns to gold it seems.

Does that mean he's done with the Real Deal as well?

Collapse -
(NT) Yes, he is leaving CNET.
by isting / April 19, 2010 7:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
Tom will be missed on the show
by z1g1 / April 19, 2010 8:36 AM PDT

I heard about this while listening to TWIT on the way into school today. Tom Molly and the crew have gotten me through almost every day of University and Graduate School. I will miss Tom on BOL but at least he will still appear in another RSS feed out there. I really hope that the show will continue as I have come to enjoy the crew that rotates into and out of the third (and now second?) chair.

Good Luck Tom

Collapse -
Tom leaving
by fergusite / April 19, 2010 9:12 AM PDT

Wow! I really didn't know Leo had that much money to afford Tom! I'd actually be sad about Tom leaving, but I'm sure his new shows on the twit network will be amazing, so I'll probably be listening to more of him instead of less. I'm surprised that CNET and CBS would let such a talent go though.....

Collapse -
TWiT makes a lot of money!
by lemonlovr / April 19, 2010 10:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Tom leaving

TWiT has annual revenues of $1.5 million or more. Leo can afford a lot of things, and bringing in Tom means he'll be able to afford a lot more. Tom on the TWiT network will only make more revenue.

Collapse -
First Veronica, now Tom... quick plug the leak!
by CascadeHush / April 19, 2010 4:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Tom leaving

All the best to Tom. With his contribution to the TWIT network seeming to mirror BOL to some extent, it may be a hard choice how I spend my podcast time.

The chemistry between Molly and Tom has always been fantastic, it's a shame to lose it. But then every change to BOL has only been for the better. Jason has been an excellent addition. The period of 'indeterminate hosts' was actually a nice change. The recent return to a more classic BOL, with molly coming back, has been good too.

Buzz has always been Molly's franchise so I look forward to her carrying the day. I hope that they'll do the right thing by Jason and move him into Tom's seat, he deserves it.

As much as I love Rafe, Brian, Natalie and, er, Brian, it would be nice to hear a new voice enter the BOL world. As we followed the transition of both Veronica and Jason from producer, to occasional commenter to full blown co-host, it would be nice to be a part of that kind of transition again... maybe that's a tube dream.

Anyway, all the best to all the BOL crew, wherever they end up. Thanks.

(Matthew from Ipswich, Queensland, Australia)

Collapse -
Why why why?
by Beau Beaubien / April 21, 2010 4:36 AM PDT

why does CNET keep messing with the only good show they have. I have a hard time listening to the show on the days that Tom and Molly aren't there. I can tell you that without Tom the show doesn't flow. I for one will be following Tom over to TWIT.

Collapse -
Unsubscribed to BOL
by not_possible / May 16, 2010 9:08 AM PDT

Just found out that Mr. Needleman is now a co-host on BOL.

So I unsubscribed from the podcast.

Sigh.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?