Computer Help forum

General discussion

Tom Krazit, CNET News.com writer live!

Ask the Editors Live: Apple iPhone

Got questions about Apple? Or how about the new iPhone 3G? Well, if you do, you've come to the right place.

Our next upcoming Ask the Editors Live chat begins at 11 a.m. Pacific Time (2 p.m. Eastern), Thursday, July 17. Our special host will be CNET News.com staff writer, Tom Krazit, who will be here to discuss, debate, and answer anything to do with Apple from the new iPhone 3G, Macs, iTunes, to the future of Apple, you name it, Tom is your Apple man!

So get your Apple questions ready and don't miss out on this live chat event!

Click here to check out the upcoming live chat events!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tom Krazit, CNET News.com writer live!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tom Krazit, CNET News.com writer live!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Iphone Problems

In reply to: Tom Krazit, CNET News.com writer live!

Good Afternoon.
I am a previous owner of a Windows mobile machine, and a Blackberry. When I got the IPhone 3G I was under the impression that when Steve Jobs said that they would have completed full exchange support, that they didn

Collapse -
iPhone

In reply to: Iphone Problems

I'm not sure when Apple plans to add those functions you described, but the first update seems to be a likely candidate, after they make sure all the basic functions work the first time around. would have been nice to hve meeting invitations, though.

I'm not sure of a workaround, you might want to try other iPhone forums.

And as for the battery, if you're talking about the iPhone 3G (not the original iPhone) the battery life seems to be about in line with other 3G phones. You're right, it needs to be better, but that will take time.

Collapse -
Welcome!

Hi folks,

It's been a while since we've done an Apple-related one of these, but with the iPhone 3G launch last week and Apple's earnings coming up next week, there's lots to talk about.

Please keep your questions focused on Apple and its products, but this isn't the best place to be if you're looking for tech support. I'll answer as many as I can before noon PT, when I have to shut it down.

Thanks!

Tom

Collapse -
Snow Leopard

Hey, just wondering, do you know what is going to be new with the new MAC OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard? Thanks

Collapse -
Snow Leopard

In reply to: Snow Leopard

It sounds like Apple wants to focus on the underpinnings of Mac OS X with Snow Leopard. Since we're all using multicore chips now, and that trend's not going anywhere, apple wants to improve performance on multicore chips. They also want to make Snow Leopard able to take advantage of graphics processors for general processing, which is another trend in computing. I'd also expect some of the Snow Leopard tweaks to make their way down into the iPhone's OS.

Collapse -
Apple Products?

Why are Apple products overpriced, when compared to other similar products?

Collapse -
Which ones do you mean?

In reply to: Apple Products?

Pound for pound, that's not always true. You could have argued the iPhone was overpriced compared to other smartphones a year ago, but that's not true these days. As for Macs, it depends: the MacBook Pro is expensive, but MacBooks are in line with the competition, when comparing like configurations.

Collapse -
iPod touch update

Do you think the iPod touch will get a hardware update this year?
Camera?
Speaker?
Microphone?
Lower pricing?

Collapse -
Yes

In reply to: iPod touch update

I wouldn't be surprised to see all of the iPhone 3G hardware improvements (speaker, microphone, curved exterior) incorporated into the iPod Touch around September. As for pricing, Apple will definitely have to lower the price if it wants to continue to sell iPod Touches against iPhones, but how much? I'm not sure.

Collapse -
multi touch

as you probaily know dell has enetered into the multi touch game, same with Microsoft and windows 7, do you think that it is likely that apple will enter into the multi touch desktop os game as well? or stick with the trackpad (which works great i uses it all the time!)?

Collapse -

my friend has an ipod touch that he did not update to 1.1.3, can he get all of the features of 1.1.3 when he upgrades to 2.0? 1.1.3 was taken offline at WWDC.

Collapse -
I think so

In reply to: 11.3

I don't have the feature set listing of 2.0 in front of me, but that should contain all previous updates, just like Mac OS X updates do if you skip an update generation.

Collapse -
Wither the old Apple "Digital Lifestyle"--in the living room, not on the road.

Call me crazy...with all this buzz about the iPhone, I'm still curious if Apple will be evolving the Mac Mini and/or the AppleTV.

I'd held out hope that we'd see an HDMI-equipped Mac Mini that really aimed at the living room by now. I know that many would love to see Apple do a proper HTPC, and the Mini form factor definitely is the bee's knees for such an application.

Any thoughts/observations/insights?

Collapse -
Good question

I've been meaning to look into this more now that the iPhone 3G is launched and out the door. It's not at all clear that Apple TV 2.0 is any more successful than the first generation, I'll have to do some research to be sure. I just think that people (most people) still aren't ready for computers as their TV consoles just yet, and the problem is that the cable/satellite companies have a lock on what goes into the home. I think it will be much easier for the cable/satellite companies to make their boxes smarter than for apple or another company to break into the living room, Tivo has been the exception, not the rule.

Collapse -
iMac rev

Do you think Apple will keep up the 6 month cycle for the iMac, bringing out a new one for the holiday season?

Collapse -
Possibly

In reply to: iMac rev

But I would expect the next iMac update to come with intel's Nehalem release, which I don't believe will come until next year for desktops and notebooks. Still, would be hard to resist updating the iMac for the holidays, they could maybe just do a speed bump or something like that, rather than a full redesign.

Collapse -
Macbook Pro

Also, I have a Macbook Pro, do you know if there is going to be anything new for that particular laptop?

Collapse -
Soon

In reply to: Macbook Pro

I expect Apple to have new notebooks sometime next month. I think the MacBook will get the largest overhaul, but the MacBook Pro will get Intel's latest Montevina chipset.

Collapse -
The new Intel Chips

Will Apple up-date their Macbook and Macbook pro laptops with the new Intel chip that is coming out in Aug. or will they wait and do a complete upgrade of the inside and outside of the Macbook and Macbook Pro?

Collapse -
August, I think

In reply to: The new Intel Chips

Back-to-school is a very important period for Apple, and I don't think they'd want to let that pass without new notebooks. Intel held them back a bit with a delay on the chip that was just released earlier this week.

Collapse -
HD Video Editing

Are the Macbooks sufficient for HD video editing or would it make more sense to use the macbook pro or iMac desktop?

Collapse -
I'd recommend the Pro

In reply to: HD Video Editing

Either the MacBook Pro or the Mac Pro. HD video editing is very processor-intensive, you'd want to make sure you get the most powerful chip you can get. The MacBook Pro is probably fine unless you work for a professional studio.

Collapse -
iPod Touch VoIP

Following up on the earlier iPod touch question. If they include a microphone in the new version, do you think they'll try to see the iPod touch as a VoIP device?

Collapse -
Why not?

In reply to: iPod Touch VoIP

There are already VOIP applications out there for the iPhone, there's no reason (I can think of right now, at least) why you wouldn't be able to run those on an iPod Touch with a mic.

Collapse -
iPhone G3 now or better wait?

Based on what happened with the previous iPhone (rebate after of couple of months), you think is a good idea to wait a couple of months before to get the iPhone G3?

Collapse -
Right now, it's really hard

In reply to: iPhone G3 now or better wait?

Check out Erica Ogg's piece on CNET News this morning for the latest on the supply issue. Bottom line, you may have to wait a few months for the initial demand to die down. I would not expect the same kind of price cut this year, however, since the price is now subsidized.

Collapse -
Native iChat for IPhone

Will apple release a native iChat app for the iPhone that runs in the background?

This limitation on the current iPhone is big, even with the push notification service its a problem due to the fact that you cannot stay online as available when you quit the app without a tricky workaround.

This is a serious issue if Apple wants to catch up with Blackberry and their Blackberry Messenger service.

Collapse -
I think so

In reply to: Native iChat for IPhone

I think Apple will wade cautiously into the world of background applications, they don't want everybody to do it at first until they know exactly how the iPhone is going to behave, but I also think they don't trust anyone other than themselves to do it properly, rightly or wrongly.

Collapse -
mac os x

do you think that apple will ever go full open sorce? or even have a mac os XI?

Collapse -
No

In reply to: mac os x

The smartphone industry is doing some interesting things around open source right now, but I'd expect Apple to be the last of the smartphone OS companies to go down that route. And on the Mac side, no way they release anything beyond what they already do.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.