HolidayBuyer's Guide

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Tom how do you put up with those two

by vorcep / June 4, 2006 2:28 AM PDT

How can you put up with Molly and Veronica? I mean they seem like sweet ladies, yet your the only guy there so it seems like they double team you sometimes. Just throught I would tell you what I throught but the show really is good even if it is more of a ladies show. But then you add your own special thing to it too so keep up the good work Tom and don't let Molly and Veronica get on you to much. Your are all great.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tom how do you put up with those two
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tom how do you put up with those two
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Actually....
by cardsbb9 / June 4, 2006 4:21 AM PDT

I do not think of it as a 'ladies show' just because it is two to one.

Molly (obviously) lets her emotional side get the better of her, but Tom always 'takes the road less traveled' and replies with calm reason and a balanced perspective (Molly is also quite predisposed to the left side of things).

Veronica doesn't over-influence the podcast significantly. True, she and Molly start sounding like a hen-house out of control when they talk over each other, but that is what girls do. We guys have learned to be a team-player and to not try to 'steal the ball' when 'our teammate is dribbling' (to use a basketball analogy). For some reason more women are rude in this manner than men and try to 'complete the thought of the other' while they are STILL speaking it.

Anyway, I think that Tom ia a match for the two of them together, so I don't think it is a 'girls show'.

Collapse -
huh
by Veronica Belmont / June 4, 2006 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Actually....

"like a hen house out of control"

man, i'm really trying to not let that offend me.

Collapse -
i wonder...
by NAWCALVIN / June 4, 2006 7:06 AM PDT
In reply to: huh

i was just wondering if mr. "hen house" is single, married or divorced. my guess is either single or divorced.

Collapse -
I believe Tom is married..
by archaeo1 / June 4, 2006 8:54 AM PDT
In reply to: i wonder...

I *think* remember reading somewhere on the forums that Tom said he looked to his wife and said he was thinking about getting a MacBook Pro.

Collapse -
Tom is married
by jialuolu-2096123418310153 / June 4, 2006 11:00 AM PDT

He's mentioned his wife many times on the podcast

Collapse -
NOT TOM
by NAWCALVIN / June 5, 2006 12:09 AM PDT

I WAS NOT REFERRING TO TOM'S MARITAL STATUS BUT TO THE GUY WHO INSULTED VERONICA AND MOLLY BY COMPARING THEIR LIVELY AND ENTERTAINING BANTER TO A HEN HOUSE

Collapse -
I'll rephrase....
by cardsbb9 / June 4, 2006 9:51 AM PDT
In reply to: huh

Due to a bit of a high-frequency hearing loss.... as well as a low-level neurological condition.... I cannot 'follow' the conversation when two women speak at the same time. When you and Molly speak over each other it sounds similar to what I have heard when I have passed by a chicken coop.

I have noticed that women do this much more than men.

Collapse -
ok
by Veronica Belmont / June 4, 2006 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll rephrase....

I'm sorry for your condition, of course, but without any background your comments came off as a little sexist.

And by saying "When you and Molly speak over each other it sounds similar to what I have heard when I have passed by a chicken coop" doesn't help your case, but instead continues to be inflamatory. I think, perhaps, that had you left out the chicken comments completely I would have felt a little less attacked.

There are ways of voicing a legitimate concern without comparing us to farm animals. Thank you.

Collapse -
Humour!
by SantiagoCrespo / June 4, 2006 1:12 PM PDT
In reply to: ok

<flame intensity="60%">
V, IMHO, yo shouldn't take it so personal, he's just using something we all might relate to as being loud and chattery as an example.
You know we all love how you and Molly keep the blog going.
</flame>

#include <disclaimer.h>

Collapse -
tip
by Veronica Belmont / June 4, 2006 1:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Humour!

don't relate women to chickens

Collapse -
I think you're absolutely right
by SantiagoCrespo / June 4, 2006 1:54 PM PDT
In reply to: tip

<flame intensity="90%">
But sometimes people are waaay too easily offended, sometimes a grain of salt is of utter importance.
</flame>

Collapse -
wow
by Veronica Belmont / June 4, 2006 3:00 PM PDT

i honestly have nothing to say to that, other than that i'm really disappointed in people right now. and that's the end of it.

V

Collapse -
this is not one of those times...
by Ravensblood / June 5, 2006 12:07 AM PDT

if you were at all familiar with Keystroke's lack of tact and consistent flame-inducing posts (intentional or not), you wouldn't be giving him the benefit of the doubt. Sure people can have their opinions, but in this case I would have been as easily offended by what he said. There was nothing constructive about what he said.

As I was reading his first post, here were my thoughts:
1."Oh my god, what is he gonna say"
2."Oh my god, stop don't say it"
3."Oh boy I can't believe he just said that".

Collapse -
OK - shoulda said...
by cardsbb9 / June 5, 2006 2:06 AM PDT
In reply to: tip

OK - I should have said "an unintgelligable noise"

but it is common in my area to use that phrase when men are talking about women talking among themselves.

Perhaps we are just desensitized about that phrase in these parts.

Collapse -
You should've said "I'm sorry"!!!
by robstak / June 5, 2006 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: OK - shoulda said...

This thread is OOC! To think that sexism be so ingrained in this d-board community :-/
Shame on us!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) OOC ??
by cardsbb9 / June 5, 2006 5:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) lol. sorry. OOC = Out Of Control ;)
by robstak / June 5, 2006 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) OOC ??
Collapse -
calm reason and a balanced perspective
by SantiagoCrespo / June 4, 2006 9:37 AM PDT

Yeah, right, like he did with the learning curve thing.

Collapse -
Veronica and Molly make BOL special
by jialuolu-2096123418310153 / June 4, 2006 11:21 AM PDT

I subscribe to a few other technology podcasts (TWiT, Engadget, Diggnation) and while I do enjoy them, Buzz Out Loud is special because of Molly and Veronica's input. If they weren't there... Well, it'd just be another guys' podcast then. Maybe this is biased because I am a girl, but I think it's refreshing to hear from women in technology.

And women are rude? I think it's pretty rude of you to compare women to farm animals, but I understand that it's easy to cower behind an online username so I hope you treat the women in your everyday life with more respect

Collapse -
Yuo just can't help offending can you?
by Dirty Pirate / June 4, 2006 11:04 PM PDT

I wear hearing aids as well, and have issues with the higher freq's especially in women as their voices are in the higher frequency. But to insult? No excuse sir. Even in your rephrase, it still comes off as an insult and you try to push the blame over... sad.

Collapse -
Cultural Differences
by SantiagoCrespo / June 5, 2006 12:01 AM PDT

Would anyone please be so kind to explain to me why comparing human (female or male, don't care) chatter to chickens, squirrels, geese or any other animal for that matter is so offensive?
Really, I just do not get it.
I've re-read the posts over and over and just cannot understand the offense.
I have to give it to women, they have this amazing ability to hold four simultaneous conversations, and when a man tries to listen in, all he will hear is nonsensical chatter, maybe it is some kind of defficiency we have.
But really, I've read KeyStroke's posts and they are a bit aggressive, but I find them humorous nonetheless.
I wouldn't want this thread to develop into some kind of futile flame war.
As for my previous posts, they were posted only with humor in mind, so if anyone (specially V) felt offended, please accept my most sincere apologies and please take the time to explain to me what is so offensive about them.

Collapse -
consider this
by Ravensblood / June 5, 2006 12:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Cultural Differences

maybe some people can't relate any special respect for women (not referring to you). But imagine if, instead of women, he was referring to people of a specific race, particularly a minority. And coming out of mouth (or fingers) of a white, middle (or +) aged, conservative, religious, republican, it's even more easily offensive, because the comments are not out of character. I feel like it is fair to say that his posting history has established the above.

Collapse -
You have a point
by SantiagoCrespo / June 5, 2006 1:00 AM PDT
In reply to: consider this

I was not fully aware of KeyStroke's tendency towards flaming.
Please understand my point of view also, I come from a culture where self-deprecation and racially charged jokes are normal, and people are not easily offended by them. Our culture is not imbued in the political correctness of Americans, and we just have "thicker" skin to take jokes.
For instance, "How does an argentinean commit suicide? He climbs to the top of his ego and jumps" or "What's the perfect deal? To buy an Argentinean for what he is worth and sell him for what he thinks he is worth"
Those are just jokes, humour, I will not be offended by it, at all, whatsoever.
I've been to the US several times (and will be going in july again) and didn't remember them as being so easily offended.
Therefore I will ask again if anyone was offended by my posts, please accept my apologies.

Collapse -
I don't think that is any excuse
by robstak / June 5, 2006 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: You have a point

I'm sorry, but I have to go on record and say that is 100% BS. Making generalizations about yourself is not an excuse. It's not about where you come from, it's about where you are. You can have any kind of background you want, but when you are talking with other people, you need to be adjust to what is appropriate for that group. If anyone disagrees, let me know.

I understand that this is all a big misunderstanding. I think the best thing to do is to let it die.

Collapse -
I think what people find offending about me is....
by cardsbb9 / June 5, 2006 2:09 AM PDT
In reply to: consider this

I think people are more offended by my existence, that being of "a white, middle (or +) aged, conservative, religious, republican" than what I say.

Just my impression.

Collapse -
Nope
by Dirty Pirate / June 5, 2006 2:22 AM PDT

That ain't it.

Collapse -
Why does my tongue hurt?
by MacHugger / June 5, 2006 4:17 AM PDT

Ah there it is... my teeth appear to be firmly embedded in it at the moment.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
I can say that's not it.
by Ravensblood / June 5, 2006 5:12 AM PDT

My initial impression of you from your original posts on the forum was that you were an obnoxious teenager...your whole "bribe bride bride" rant. I knew nothing about you. The first time you mentioned you had kids I was shocked. It wasn't until much time and many posts later that your details came together. The only detail I guessed was that you were a republican. but it was an educated guest.

Don't get me wrong. I think you should be free to talk out loud and express any opinion that you want, just be prepared for the backlash.

Collapse -
Lol. Soooo typical <rolls eyes>
by robstak / June 5, 2006 8:31 AM PDT

That's exactly what people like you would think! j/k get the subtle overtones?

just playin! Wink

Collapse -
My personal opinion
by archaeo1 / June 4, 2006 4:21 AM PDT

I love everyone on the show, and I don't feel that one single person takes over, everyone shares their opinions and discussions, and sometimes, one person may end up doing some talking, but that's just because they may have a strong opinion on the subject... but as far as I'm concerned, it all comes out even in the end, and makes for a great show!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.