Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Tom Friedman on Bush and the plunging dollar

by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / February 23, 2005 10:05 PM PST
Out of our hands: Where the buck really stops.
(Chronicle login: semods4@yahoo.com; pw = speakeasy)

>>I have just one question about President Bush's trip to Europe: Did he and Laura go shopping? If they did, I would love to have been a fly on the wall when Laura must have said to George: "George, do you remember how much these Belgian chocolates cost when we were here four years ago? This box of mints was $10. Now it's $15? What happened to the dollar, George? Why is the euro worth so much more now, honey? Didn't Rummy say Europe was old? If we didn't have Air Force One, we never could have afforded this trip on your salary!"<<

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!
Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Little sarcasm
by kmarchal / February 23, 2005 10:38 PM PST

is this a story taken from H.G. Wells' classic tale of the Bush invasion, in his "The doom and gloom of the World".
Or the classic
Dems. Little
"Oh my goodness!" said Dems Little. "The dollar is falling! I must go and tell the UN." ?They surly will help and Kerry and Ward Churchill will save us all.? After Dems. Little told the UN the dollar was falling. The UN and Kerry said, ?Go home and tell your people they must raise taxes and turn themselves into a 3rd world country, and then the dollar will rise.???.and all the people of the world rejoiced.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Cute :-) Especially like the 'Dems. Little'!
by Evie / February 23, 2005 10:39 PM PST
In reply to: Little sarcasm
Collapse -
the dems could make a fortune selling
by Mark5019 / February 23, 2005 10:44 PM PST
In reply to: Little sarcasm

hard hats Grin

Collapse -
Your worldview is out of touch with reality, Mark.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / February 24, 2005 3:08 AM PST

The last three Republican Presidents, representing the party of "fiscal responsibility," ran up budget deficits totaling almost exactly 4 trillion dollars over a total of 12 years. Meanwhile, the last Democratic President ran only a 1 trillion deficit over 8 years, and in his last two years had the only two budget surpluses in recent memory, with a projected one trillion dollar surplus over the next 10 years that Bush the second squandered into a $1.5 trillion deficit over just four years, including the two largest deficits in US history.
(Source: bipartisan Congressional Budget Office. Note how as soon as Clinton took office (BEFORE the Republicans gained control of the House), the deficits started shrinking?
In fact, contrary to Republican myth, the Democrats are clearly the party of fiscal conservatism and responsibility.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) how many hats do you want?
by Mark5019 / February 24, 2005 3:16 AM PST
Collapse -
You're not actually trying to persuade these people with the
by Ziks511 / February 26, 2005 3:09 PM PST
truth are you? It'll never work Dave. They can't recognize it even if its spoon fed to them. Tell them Reagan is in deep hibernation and will come back to rule again, tell them George can walk on water and not get his cowboy boots wet, tell them anything, but don't tell them the truth. It'll only make them mad.

Rob
Collapse -
Walkin' on water
by David Evans / February 26, 2005 4:12 PM PST
...tell them George can walk on water and not get his cowboy boots wet, tell them anything, but don't tell them the truth. It'll only make them mad.

If it was reported to yall that President Bush walked on water the next days headlines from the leftist media would read: "BUSH CAN'T SWIM!"

Old joke, but it fit sooooooo well...

Yall keep on working for me for.... Four more years! Four more years!

DE

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!