Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Toll roads a-comin'

by Angeline Booher / March 27, 2008 1:02 AM PDT

Though part of our gasoline tax goes for our highway projects.....

{B]Last week, the federal government eliminated close to $70 million of Tennessee's highway dollars.

Tolls could become a reality in the Volunteer State.

Since 2005, the federal government has taken more than $230 million that was supposed to pay for Tennessee highway projects.

If they're going to keep on taxing us like this on gas, I mean how's a toll road going to help us? Seems like they're coming to dig deeper in our pockets and let us foot the bill for them," said Larry Coleman, a driver."

Some drivers are willing to give tolls the green light.

"You know you're going to have more upkeep for roads. You're going to have more people wanting to expand roads. The money has got to come from somewhere," said Matt Roeder, a driver.

"I think it might not be a bad idea because I can see the progress that has been made around the city," said Sharon James, another motorist. "Traveling is much easier. So go for it."

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=8069908

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toll roads a-comin'
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toll roads a-comin'
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
sometimes they are not so bad
by WOODS-HICK / March 27, 2008 2:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Toll roads a-comin'

moving east from illinois, I was shocked how I had to pay a toll for every major bridge, tunnel and interstates plus some parkways.

in the chicago area you paid for interstate toll roads and a industrial by-pass called the calumet skyway. most of my travels were on the 'free' roads. one called lake(michigan) shore drive (LSD) was scenic and if it was not also a urban thoroughfare could easily charge for taking you to the surrounding beauty.

one parkway in nj called the garden state(GSP) was a good example of how a toll road should be. it was one the best maintained roads considering the millions of vehicles that use it. of course I am not one who sits for hours sometimes due to traffic volume. every summer the news here has footage of miles-long back-ups on the GSP of folks coming and going to the jersey shore. human interest stories of beleaguered, frustrated parents and their kids crying or screaming. glad I don't have to run that race anymore, I only long-distance travel M-F. also I never go where everyone else does, too crowded here in ubermegalopolis.

I think if user-fees offset additional increases for others, it is desirable. why pay for something you do not use. there are indirect benefits for non-users: bringing goods and commerce. tourism and other ancillary businesses that employ locals.

here's a link to the GSP if you are unfamiliar:

http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/

can you volunteer not to use your toll-road?

Collapse -
I think they are a good idea.
by Angeline Booher / March 27, 2008 6:52 AM PDT

Our infrastructure is crumbling fast, however, and toll roads won't help that.

I do wonder where the gas tax monies collected from the various states and not disbursed to them does go, however. Or if anybody actually knows.

Several years ago on either the Discovery, History of PBS channels was an interesting story about intestates and other major roads, and how quickly they being obsolete as traffic increases. It's like they never catch up with the demand. Just in my city's system there have been several incidents of overpass supports failing that were less than 29 years old.

This past winter was a mild one here, so pothole reairs should be less this spring. But I sspect points north ad west are not so lucky.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.