Samsung forum

General discussion

Told not to update firmware by Samsung tech

by Stuntman Mike / December 31, 2008 3:09 AM PST

When I called 800-SAMSUNG I was told by the tech that since I was experiencing no problems with the TV at the time I updated the TV's firmware that I should not have done so. He said that upgrading a TV's firmware that is not experiencing problems can "crash" the TV. This sounded like utter non-sense to me. I told the Samsung tech that I updated the TV's firware when I originally got it over a month ago and the TV has worked flawlessly until just a few days ago.

When my TV broke, I told the service technician that picked up the TV what the Samsung tech told me regarding the firmware update and he agreed.

I have read elsewhere that Samsung recommends updating your firmware whether you are experiencing problems or not.

SO WHICH IS IT???!!!

Firmware updates are supposed to fix problems, not introduce others.

Why would Samsung make their TVs user upgradable if they don't want people to update their TV's firmware?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Told not to update firmware by Samsung tech
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Told not to update firmware by Samsung tech
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification.....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 31, 2008 5:14 PM PST

Stuntman Mike,

I'm not sure where the tech was coming from, nor was I privy to the conversation. Unfortunately, I just can't comment on that experience.

We make the updates available as an ongoing effort to support the products we sell. NONE of them should crash the television. That's always been my stand on the board. Service technicians can disagree with me, but I've personally done easily over 400 firmware upgrades with 1 or 2 problems associated as a result. One was because I yanked the USB drive out prematurely, and the other one didn't turn on again.

That said, a rule of thumb is that if you don't know the benefit of updating a television, it's probably best not to do that. If your television is running perfectly, you don't need a firmware update.

Some of the early firmware updates, on the A650 series, for instance, added the ability to do wireless InfoLink and upgraded the WiseLink features which initially weren't features we were going to offer. Others fix HDMI handshake issues that are present on some, but not necessarily all of the units.

When people have a problem, I encourage them to check to make sure they have the latest firmware update. That's something I do because more times than not, it fixes many issues.

That said, I don't think you should have necessarily been confronted with "you shouldn't have". They contain fixes for certain issues, and shouldn't hurt the integrity of the television.

However, firmware updates to the best of my knowledge do not, and will not void the warranty. If you hear that they do, please let me know because I have yet to hear someone tell me that. However, some updates can (that is, have the ability to possibly) cause issues that will then require service.

Service Pack 2 for XP is supposed to be a flawless upgrade on computers too. For most people, the update worked great. For others, there were some issues. This kind of situation is no different.

That's my take on it. Technicians or Service people have their opinions; this coupled with my experience is mine.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Premature USB Stick pull out now not Turning on
by gageraci / March 2, 2011 7:46 AM PST
In reply to: Clarification.....

Noticed you said you had only 2 problems out of 400 firmware upgrade. I fit into one of those problems. I may have pulled out the USB stick prematurely. Now the unit will not turn on. I see the red lights and some clicking when it is first plugged in and it will not turn on by the remote or panel. I opened up the tv and the power board looked fine (no blown caps). Anyway to determine how to fix it. I would replace the power board if that is the answer. Good to know someone else as had the same problem. How do you fix it. LA46A650 model. Thanks George

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 3, 2011 8:36 AM PST

gageraci,

If the TV won't even power on, there's not much troubleshooting I can offer. The best recommendation I can offer is to set up a service call with a technician. I wish I could help further, but if it doesn't turn on, I don't have the ability to diagnose or inspect the situation with any sort of accuracy. To get it powered on again will probably require technician.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by gageraci / March 7, 2011 8:47 AM PST

Just trying to diagnose since the person I took it too could not test the power board. You stated in your previous post that you have done over 400 "firmware upgrades with 1 or 2 problems associated as a result. One was because I yanked the USB drive out prematurely, and the other one didn't turn on again". That said once I put the USB stick in I may have pulled it out prematurely and now the unit red light comes on and clicks and then wont turn on. Any chance there was a power surge and the power board is fried or is there an internal computer error. It is out of warranty so trying to diagnosis myself kind of. Since you had an issue with pulling out the stick early how did you fix that? Thanks!!

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 7, 2011 12:33 PM PST

gageraci,

No, essentially, I had to have the unit serviced.

None of the units I've worked with were "LA" units either.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Same Problem ... Firmware update ruined my Smart TV...
by Edgard Nehme / July 29, 2015 10:52 AM PDT

let me start with this... all update issued by a manufacturer should be used automatically specially if it is public... it should not create or amplify the issues of previous versions. so as you may do for Microsoft, Apple and other respectful brands you should do with samsung. but unfortunately that is not the case with samsung. first i had exactly the same unprofessional answer from the tech representative that it is my problem to have updated the software because i had the option not to. and now my TV runs only the cable and i have lost or the Smart part that i paid $$$ to have it.
the problem started by my tv not detecting the WIFI although my WIFI was 100% functional on my other devices. then all the icons in the smart TV as well as the wall paper disappeared. i used an ethernet cable to have internet back so that the technician can log in remotely. he reseted the smart TV. nothing had changed. an hour after he tells me that he cant do anything and since i am out of warranty i have to get a technician on my expenses. (of course that will cost me a fortune) that i think better spend this money to get any other respectful brand.
Thank you Samsung and hopefully never see you back

Collapse -
Sorry but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2015 11:24 AM PDT

Burying your post may help you rage and vent but there is a thing that I find to help SOME WiFi after update issues. Call in and ask them how to reset the TV after a firmware update.

For some reason a firmware update may not work with WiFi or apps after update. I find myself resetting the TV (factory reset or whatever they call it) then setting up the WiFi again.

Collapse -
Same Problem ... Firmware update ruined my Smart
by Edgard Nehme / July 29, 2015 12:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry but

Already did that... mute 1-8-2 power (or something like that)...
now the situation in no wifi no internet and no smart tv. smart tv starts with no wallpaper nor icons and ask for internet and even with cable does not connect.
my TV before the update use to work perfectly.

Collapse -
Escalate....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2015 12:13 PM PDT
Collapse -
Hey can you help me please
by vishant1997 / October 6, 2015 4:41 PM PDT

I installed an upgrade for UN40D5003BFXZA on UN40D5003BFXZP...the tv does not find any channels now..where can i find the firmware for UN40D5003BFXZP ??

Collapse -
When this happens
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2015 4:48 PM PDT

I find folk replacing the board that holds the firmware. How did you manage to install the wrong firmware?

Collapse -
PN63C8000 same issue I upgraded firmware
by davgel1 / August 11, 2010 10:46 AM PDT

After purchase and in the registration process on my new set, the Samsung webpage pointed out that a newer version of FW was available 1002 to 1023, so I performed the update as I have done in the past with other sets.
In this case the TV (BRAND NEW) powers off every 30 seconds, after the FW download. the process was successful now I don't know what to do.

I called for support service tech hired by Samsung called me for an appointment and he wants to replace the main and power supply board.

HELP, I dont want my new tv to be taken apart!!!

Collapse -
Firmware update
by chrissrice / February 11, 2011 4:03 AM PST

I had the exact same problem. I was told to the Samsung tech to reset my firmware (I think that you hold the enter button for thirty seconds with the tv on- however this is very difficult to do when your set turns off every 30-60 seconds). Ultimately, my television had to be replaced. I did not have a repair service center near my home and therefore they swapped out my tv with a new one. This was quite a pain in the a$$ as I had the tv wall mounted. I also had to take time off of work to be there when the swap took place (4 hour delivery window). Also this process took over 1 month to complete. Love the tv but hate Samsung support.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.