Speakeasy forum

General discussion

TODAY'S HOMOSEXUAL ALERT!

by Mark5019 / November 21, 2006 9:44 AM PST

No .. I'm not going to tell you that one of your coworkers is gay, and is hiding that because he knows of your homophobia. I'm not even going to tell you that your neighborhood has a secret homosexual cell that meets at 3:00 a.m. on Thursdays in your garage to sacrifice a chicken and to plot how to lure your son into their world.

Nope ... this is about two penguins. Two penguins at the Central Park Zoo in New York City. Oh .. .and a baby penguin as well. It seems that these two penguins ... both males by the way ... adopted an abandoned fertilized egg. They sat on the egg until it hatched, and then raised the baby penguin as their own.

Isn't that cute?

I guess it was cute, right up until the time someone wrote a children's book titled "And Tango Makes Three." The book is all about these two penguins adopting the egg, and raising little Tango to penguin adulthood. The book, you see, is available in some school libraries around the country, and some parents don't seem to like that one little bit.

At the Shiloh Elementary (government) School in Shiloh, Missouri some parents demanded that the book be kept away from younger children. Why? Well .... now hold tight ... because of its homosexual undertones! School Superintendent Jennifer Filyaw says the book will stay put. She must be a closet dike, right?

Just remember folks. Somewhere today, unless you hide under your bed, you might actually come within actual touching distance of a real, honest-to-goodness homosexual! You had better wear a mask and stock up on that hand sanitizing stuff.

whats scary as this is true:(

http://boortz.com/nuze/index.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TODAY'S HOMOSEXUAL ALERT!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TODAY'S HOMOSEXUAL ALERT!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And there's something wrong with that ???
by Ziks511 / November 21, 2006 1:42 PM PST

Seems like a sweet story that has NO agenda whatever. Although there are people who have less sense than penguins.

Rob

Collapse -
and if you didnt understand
by Mark5019 / November 23, 2006 4:30 AM PST

i guess boortz isnt the only ignorant person seems hes in good company so think before you uteer you nonsense

Collapse -
(NT) boortz of a feather flock togerther
by WOODS-HICK / November 23, 2006 6:26 AM PST
Collapse -
That book banning....
by Angeline Booher / November 21, 2006 7:28 PM PST

...is just as silly as the one in Dallas in the early 1960's.

The angst then was about the children's book, "Peter Rabbit" because the illustration on the front cover showed a white rabbit and a black rabbit.

Another was wanting works by Shalespeare removed from school reading lists because of , "Out, damned spot!"

Then there are the purple Tubbies....

And the beat goes on.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
"Out damned spot"!
by grimgraphix / November 22, 2006 12:36 AM PST
In reply to: That book banning....

That is what I say to my dog every morning Happy

Having not read they book, I can't say how it may possibly be offensive or promote the gay agenda... but 3 things come to mind.

If it doesn't describe the "gay penguin" sex act then what is the big deal?

If it isn't trying to encourage a gay lifestyle then what is the big deal?

If it is based on a true story then what's the big deal?

Silly humans are always trying to make analogies between humans and animals... it may be likely that the authors of the book are doing just that or that the book's critics are doing the same. The question though, is what the message of the book is... is it all about being gay? or is it all about protecting and raising kids under any and all circumstances? The best judge of these issues will be the kids reading the book... and I have my doubts that anyone involved has bothered to ask for the under 7 age group opinion yet.

Collapse -
"The gay agenda," LOL
by Josh K / November 22, 2006 2:05 AM PST
In reply to: "Out damned spot"!

That phrase makes it sound like all the world's homosexuals are huddled in a smoke-filled room plotting world conquest.

Everyone knows they're too busy shopping.

Devil

Collapse -
Time to go....
by James Denison / November 21, 2006 8:16 PM PST

...penguin hunting. Devil

Collapse -
I saw an excellent movie the other night...
by Terry Browne / November 24, 2006 11:31 AM PST
In reply to: Time to go....
Collapse -
No reply
by James Denison / November 24, 2006 11:55 AM PST

No sense in replying if it's going to be removed. Consider this a "no reply".

Collapse -
LOL!
by Terry Browne / November 25, 2006 12:00 PM PST
In reply to: No reply

So why did you reply in the first place?

Collapse -
then there was the traveling salesman
by WOODS-HICK / November 23, 2006 10:20 PM PST

named lee grant driving through farm country. he is traveling along at a leisurely 40mph counting the blessings of his last sale. he looks in his rear view mirror and spots what seems to be chicken running quite fast and starting to pass him. well our traveler has seen about everything in these parts but this was a first.

the chicken goes by and cuts in front to continue sprinting down the shoulder of the road. lee presses the accelerator and decreases the distance. now the chicken looks back and starts to speed up. mr grant is now going 60mph and the gap is widening. he raps the speedometer and sure as chickenshot it's working just fine. as he is approaching 75mph the bird hangs a right, crossing the corn field, heading to a barn off in the distance.

lee makes a sliding right and follows that chicken toward the farm.

when he arrives our feathered speedster is out of sight and a typically nonchalant overalled man is doing what farmers do. lee stops quick and the dust overwhelms the scene.

"can I help you mister?" says the man. speaking faster than his last pitch; lee sputters something about a 75+mph chicken and inquires if the man saw it.

"yep, she's a 3 legged hen, we got a bunch of 'em". lee has got to know more.

"well my missus, my boy and me all like the leg, so I bred these 3 legged birds. I was quite successful"

mr grant can't believe his ears but his professional eyes see dollar signs. $$$.kentucky fried derby.$$$ "I got to know: how do they taste?"

"well that's hard to say, so far we ain't been able to catch one"

Collapse -
hmmm??
by WOODS-HICK / November 24, 2006 7:46 AM PST

what used to be, isn't. there were 3 posts removed that preceded my tale. what I originally posted to is gone, gone, gone. that explains why the above seems like it fell out of the sky, if you care.

Collapse -
Think you're right
by Steven Haninger / November 24, 2006 8:54 AM PST
In reply to: hmmm??

and suspect a complaint about "disturbing the peace". I would agree with that complaint if it was the posts I saw. By it's nature and given the mix here in SE, the original post is more on a sensitive subject. It needs to be handled, IMO, sensitively and rationally. It is possible to do so without ad hominem attacks. That being said I think that the removal of objectionable posts has the possibility of requiring the removal of tame ones or even leaving orphans that make no sense once continuity is lost. You might want to read carefully fully up the line in a sub for anything that looks iffy...if you really want your post to stand.

Collapse -
You're right, but ...
by Bill Osler / November 24, 2006 10:23 AM PST
In reply to: Think you're right

Given some of the stuff that HAS been allowed to stand in the forum, I'm rather puzzled about why those particular posts disappeared. The 'root' of the sub-tree that was removed did appear to be an attempt to be obnoxious but it was hardly in a league with some of the junk that has been rather inexplicably tolerated over the last several years.

Collapse -
(NT) Oh well, D... if we do, D... if we don't.
by Roger NC / November 26, 2006 10:42 AM PST
In reply to: You're right, but ...
Collapse -
Maybe not ...
by Bill Osler / November 26, 2006 10:58 AM PST

I can't speak for others, but I was not complaining about the removal of the posts. I was just surprised. You will hopefully excuse me if I express my surprise from time to time.

Personally, I wouldn't object to any reasonable standard for what is or is not allowed as long as it is applied fairly.

The thing I am tempted to complain about is the rather obvious lack of consistency. I realize that is not always under the control of the SE mods because moderators from other cnet forums can use their authority in here also, so I don't see any real profit in complaining. It's just human nature to be tempted to complain.

Collapse -
Express your surprise anytime Bill
by Roger NC / November 27, 2006 10:44 AM PST
In reply to: Maybe not ...

My point was just that no matter what, we're wrong according to someone.

Complaints may raise consideration.

Many are not for consideration, but to complain pure and simple, IMO.

To be fair, I normally like your posts, even when I disagree.

Replying to your post may have been a bit misleading in my intent, but I guess at the time I was just in a reckless mood and expressed myself freely. Later I reconsidered and started to delete myself, but decided not. I had posted it, let it stand.

Roger

Collapse -
sensitive subject?
by James Denison / November 24, 2006 12:05 PM PST

No, it's not a sensitive subject, it's a sinful subject and until recent
societal decay it was also a criminal subject, and hopefully in some areas
of this country it remains so. From it we have incubated new diseases the like
of which we'd not heard of before, but this was also predicted.

1 Corinthians 6:9
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of
God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters,
nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with
mankind,

Romans Chapter 1:
Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to
sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another.
25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and
served created things rather than the Creator?who is forever praised.
Amen.

26Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even
their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27 In
the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women
and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent
acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for
their perversion.

28 Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain
the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do
what ought not to be done.

Collapse -
"From it we have incubated new diseases"... HIV ?
by grimgraphix / November 24, 2006 12:47 PM PST
In reply to: sensitive subject?

It has been pretty much concluded that HIV (if that is what your trying to allude to here) is a result of cross viral transmission/infection from african chimpanzee's to humans of a commonly found simian/ape virus.

Efforts to track the original source of the disease has lead to parts of Cameroon in Africa...

"It is thought that people hunting chimpanzees first contracted the virus - and that cases were first seen in Kinshasa, in the Democratic Republic of Congo - the nearest urban area - in 1930."

It can not be disputed that homosexual sexual behavior can more easily spread the virus. However, there are plenty of heterosexuals who have never participated in homosexual behavior, nor used IV drugs... who now are diagnosed with the HIV virus.

Or were you talking about some disease that is somehow connected to penguins?

Collapse -
If it was...
by Terry Browne / November 25, 2006 12:03 PM PST

quotations from the Qur'an I would think it was about fundamentalists... I guess they exist among the Christians too.

Collapse -
Some disagree, apparently
by SE Moderators / November 26, 2006 3:59 AM PST

(Just FYI -- I don't buy most of this myself).

Reading the Bible the gay-friendly way.

>> In the battle over gay rights and same-sex marriage, those who oppose both often cite Biblical passages which, they believe, clearly state that homosexuality is wrong. Trying to rebut this view is a movement led by people who are both gay and Christian who say that the Bible is on their side.

"Most people think that the attitude of gay Christians is, 'Who cares what the Bible says?' when in reality, we care deeply what the Bible says," said the Rev. Jeff Miner , pastor of the Jesus Metropolitan Community Church , a gay-friendly congregation in Indianapolis. He led a forum on the topic last weekend at [Boston's] Arlington Street Church. "We think there are a lot of powerful, affirming things that are in the Bible that have been ignored." Those affirming messages were detailed by Miner and forum co-leader John Tyler Connoley in their 2002 book, "The Children are Free: Reexamining the Biblical Evidence on Same-sex Relationships." <<

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET or the other SE Mods.

Collapse -
Perversion not limited
by James Denison / November 26, 2006 9:22 PM PST

Perversion of matters aren't just limited to one's sexual appetite, but
those who have such propensities often engage in further perversions when
attempting to justify the first. I've read the arguments made by the so called
"christian" gays and they have no true basis, and some are so obviously
twisted attempts it would be ludicrous except for the agenda they attempt
to promote. I think homosexuality is self destructive anyway, they do more
damage to themselves than anyone else ever does to them, it's sort of self
containing. When they bring it into the political arena however, everyone
else has just as much right to reject them as they feel in seeking
acceptance of their errors.

Collapse -
the subject 'headline/ title' in the OP set
by WOODS-HICK / November 24, 2006 8:05 PM PST

the stage. it was not the words of the originator but the actual banner at the boortz link. they are boortz's words. the comment by the poster indicated to me that he agreed with the message of the piece. that this was not a 'tongue-in-cheek' opinion by boortz. boortz has a history of wanting to keep certain 'liberal' agendas out of the classroom. this book is not REQUIRED reading as boortz implies. the censored word in the boortz piece is another word for a dutch levee. an examination of where boortz gets his fodder is another tip-off. that info is available at his blog.

I will point out that the ignorance of boortz is also proven by the fact that the shiloh school board is located in ILLINOIS, not missouri. the school in missouri was located in savannah in the nw part of that state. which is the equivalent air gap between boortz's ears.

here are the exact words of one of the ("demanding"-boortz) parents:

"Lilly Del Pinto thought the book looked charming when her 5-year-old daughter brought it home in September. Del Pinto said she was halfway through reading it to her daughter ?when the zookeeper said the two penguins must be in love.?

?That?s when I ended the story,? she said.

Del Pinto said her daughter?s teacher told her she was unfamiliar with the book, and the school?s librarian directed the mother to Filyaw.

?I wasn?t armed with pitchforks or anything. I innocently was seeking answers,? Del Pinto said, agreeing with Filyaw?s belief that pulling the book from the shelves could constitute censorship.

a recent poll on this issue indicated that most of the respondents favored keeping the book in the library.: http://www.ksdk.com/includes/pollresults.aspx?vdcss=713&Cat=1

one of the posts removed was a joke involving two roosters. I laughed and it did not offend me. many beliefs are revealed in humor. I also noticed it had that kernel of truth intrinsic in good anecdotes. that inspired my recollected joke.

and now my post is no longer an orphan. I will continue to rely: "on the kindness of strangers" as my aunt blanche used to say.

Collapse -
So, if your complaint is more with Boortz
by Steven Haninger / November 24, 2006 10:16 PM PST

try and find readily available pieces on such topics without a slant. You will be hard pressed to do so and even what you may find will be likely be challenged by others. Such is life. I don't think it's unnatural for one to support his/her own opinion by showing evidence that it's shared by others...especially when these "others" have stronger means of expression or are people of notoriety. I have found that many persons with whom I generally differ will still make valid points. I also find that, often, my objection is with the delivery of the message and not the message itself. A good smelling pie can lose it's appeal if shoved directly in one's face. Happy

Collapse -
it does not exclude the followers
by WOODS-HICK / November 24, 2006 10:45 PM PST

of boortz. I will continue to consider him(boortz) a dim bulb in the strand.

I could only focus on boortz because there was no other substance in the OP. I do not believe in banning, burning, or bashing information. I am sure more children saw 'march of the penguins' than read this library book. did the movie encourage abandonment or nurture? was the hidden message that women should leave the home and join the work force? will we be able to read about sea horses(in the male's pouch)? see 'finding nemo'?

only adults find 'agendas' in innocent books for children. love of another man is found throughout the bible, maybe not in the biblical sense.

as far as finding something without a slant, maybe 1+1=2, but cerebral mathematicians might debate that.

thank you, I will have another slice

Collapse -
I've never been a good reader but
by Steven Haninger / November 25, 2006 3:32 AM PST

that piece in the original post comes off to me as being rather benign poke at homophobia itself rather than one showing evidence of a creeping problem. I will post a link to an old video here with the risk that it may be pulled...not for it's content but as one that might have copyright considerations. Perhaps such of this vintage were committed to the public domain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGNPKHmqzAI&mode=related&search=

Collapse -
if you wrote it I might agree
by WOODS-HICK / November 25, 2006 7:21 AM PST

because of your take on a variety of issues. satire is one of the hues on your word brush. knowing how the piece arrived here also makes me skeptical. now add the OP commentary and boortz's views(elsewhere) on a perceived liberal agenda. note the use of the parenthetical (government) in his reference to the school.

since I use dial-up I will not be downloading 'boys beware'. I had never heard of it before. the genre is familiar. here is what wiki had to say about the movie and its director, sid davis:

'Boys Beware'..."The film deals with a perceived danger to young boys: that of predatory homosexuals"...

(Sid)Davis'..."work is consistently about a relatively small group of themes: that strangers must be treated with caution, that the world itself is an unfriendly place, regardless of the presence of strangers, and that children must think before acting. His films typically feature monotonous narration suffused with what Mental Hygiene author Ken Smith calls a "sledgehammer morality"...

the next time I order from netflix his films will be avoided. he was financially successful though, you can always sell warnings for profit. I wonder if he did that armed services film about STD I saw in basic, of course back then it was VD.

Collapse -
Too bad you cannot view it
by Steven Haninger / November 25, 2006 7:43 AM PST

If you could, you would see the that a part the Boortz piece could be taken as a "liberal" (and I hate the use of such words) parody of the Sid Davis video if presented at an earlier time. Such is how shifts in "conscientiousness" occur invisibly over time. The Sid Davis piece refers to homosexuality as a disease and adds it to be contagious. Boortz suggested a disinfectant routine if one comes in contact with a homosexual. Clearly Sid Davis is serious and Boortz is not though they might even be thought to share similar viewpoints for their day. Just thought it interesting.

Collapse -
As we noted before, folks, this new software
by SE Moderators / November 24, 2006 9:27 PM PST
In reply to: hmmm??

gives us much less leeway in deciding what to remove and what to leave. If we take out a given message, all its "children" in the tree structure automatically go with it, where before we could delete a parent and leave any children that didn't violate the TOS and retained sufficient value and context to remain. That aspect of decision-making is now out of our hands, though the good news (for us) is that when a large portion of a thread is "bad," it usually takes much less time and effort to prune it.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.