Desktops forum

General discussion

Toasted my CPU, but something else is wrong

by caster / October 25, 2004 3:12 AM PDT

Here's what I've got: AMD 3200XP, Abit AN7 MB, 2-512MB Dual DDR PC3200, ATI Radeon 9200, SATA HD, CDR/RW running Windows XP SP2. Computer ran great for months but was noisy.

To quiet the computer, I replaced the retail fan/HS with a Gigabyte copper 3D cooler. I had to remove the MB to install the new fan/HS. When I reassembled everything and turned on the PSU, the red LED on the MB lit indicating 5v was present on the MB. When I pushed the button on the front of the case to start the computer, nothing happened. I pushed it several times but nothing happened, no fans, no green MB LED (indicating VCC), no case power on light.

So, (the side of the case was still off) I started looking at all the cables making sure everything was connected when suddenly, all the fans started and all the lights came on. This took me by surprise and when I looked at the monitor, Windows was loading. Windows detected new USB hardware (I probably hadn't plugged my USB cables into the same ports) and after a few seconds, Windows said the hardware was installed and ready to go. Then MB Monitor gave me a warning that the CPU temperature had exceeded 75

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toasted my CPU, but something else is wrong
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toasted my CPU, but something else is wrong
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Toasted my CPU, but something else is wrong
by Willy / October 25, 2004 3:23 AM PDT

You didn't mention if you re-used the thermal tape compound or used *new* heatsink compound when you installed new HSF setup. On top of that, did you fully engage the HSF to flatly lay on the cpu? Plus, is you install new heatsink compound did you cleran the cpu free of old compound/tape? AND yes, the AMD cpu will fry if not cooled correctly in 1sec. or less. Plus, is the cpu fan ordinated correctly to "blow onto" the cpu not up and away or what the manufacturer suggests. Check all that and post results. Of course recheck all work again, don't take anything for granted.

good luck -----Willy ":)

Collapse -
Re: Toasted my CPU, but something else is wrong
by caster / October 25, 2004 4:11 AM PDT

Each time I installed either of the HSFs, I cleaned the surfaces and applied new Arctic Silver compound. Each time the HSF clips were fully engaged and the HSF seemed firmly attached. I couldn't see under the HSF to verify full contact but when I removed it, the compound had "squished out" to a thin layer as if the HSF had made full contact.

I suspect that the HSF moved (tilted?) after I reinstalled the MB but I didn't notice any movement (the new copper HSF is very heavy).

The fans on the HSF, when they finally started, were turning the right direction, sucking air from both the top and bottom and blowing out through the cooling fins.

I realize the chip is probably toast due to my mistake in believing the HSF was installed properly. What is really puzzling me is why the power doesn't come on immediately when I press the power on button or short the two pins on the MB. What can be causing this? Note that this happened before the CPU was toasted.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.