General discussion

Toads turning dogs into junkies

DOGS are licking the backs of cane toads to get high from a poison secreted from their glands, a Northern Territory vet has revealed.

And the dogs are becoming addicted to the hallucinogenic cane toad poison - bufo toxin.

Katherine vet Megan Pickering said yesterday she had seen many cases of dogs affected by the deadly toad poison.

"We have had quite a number of cases of dogs that are getting addicted to the toxin," she said.

"There seems to be dogs that are licking the toxin to get high.

"They lick the toads

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,12291241%255E421,00.html

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Toads turning dogs into junkies
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Toads turning dogs into junkies
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Reminds me of a song

by Mason Williams

Them Toad Suckers
How about Them Toad Suckers,
Ain't they clods?
Sittin' there suckin'
Them green toady-frogs.

Suckin' them hop-toads,
Suckin' them chunkers,
Suckin' them leapy types,
Suckin' them plunkers.

Look at Them Toad Suckers,
Ain't they snappy?
Suckin' them bog-frogs
Sure makes'em happy.

Them huggermugger Toad Suckers,
Way down south,
Stickin' them sucky-toads
In they mouth.

How to be a Toad Sucker?
No way to duck it.
Gittchyself a toad,
Rare back and suck it!

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) lol never heard that ty
- Collapse -
Actually not a song

It's a poem. Mason Williams was sort of a strange character from not unlike John Hartfort. Mason was on the Smothers Brothers now and then. His big instrumental piece, for those who remember, was Classical Gas. Anyway, that poem was on that album and I'd long forgotten it until your post. Funny how the brain responds sometimes.Happy

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) well your brains engaged and working:)
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Maybe 'cause I never fried it back in the '60s ;-)
- Collapse -
Toads turning dogs into junkies

Sure

Blame it on the toads

Lick me, Lick me

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That was my first thought as well.
- Collapse -
Interesting light this casts on news reporting though.

"she had seen many cases of dogs affected by the deadly toad poison."
"the dogs are becoming addicted to the hallucinogenic cane toad poison"

Now if the poison is deadly, the dogs die, right? So how can they possibly be able to lick toads repeatedly and thus develop an addiction. Sadly accuracy is not important in journalism, sensationalism, however, is important because it sells newspapers and advertizing.

I won't dispute that the secretions are toxic and potentially harmful or even lethal in the long run, but in the short run they are merely unhealthy, not "deadly".

Apply that sort of approach to any news story, whether you like the story or not, and you'll begin to see a pattern of sensationalist reporting.

Rob Boyter

- Collapse -
i wonder

if it takes just a few licks and then tolerance? im thinking if the toads eaten might kill i dont know

Apply that sort of approach to any news story, whether you like the story or not, and you'll begin to see a pattern of sensationalist reporting.

you mean like the medias constant nay saying about bush? your right

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Their attacks on every president since Johnson.
- Collapse -
Unfortunately, it's not new, just esculating
begin to see a pattern of sensationalist reporting.

Since news became a ratings driven program entirely, and since news is cheaper than fiction programming actually, senstionalism is more prevalent than news.

It's long past the old when dog bites man, it's everday, but when man bites dog, its news. Or the opposite of no news is good news, good news is no news.

It's just that as it gets ever more extreme in attempts to out do each other, it's forgetting to even start with facts. At least once it started with facts then tweaked to make exciting. Now it starts with something startling, then a few facts are shoe-horned in somehow.

Sensationlism in news reporting has existed and getting worse for at least 2 decades.

JMO

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com
- Collapse -
Dogs not the only ones
- Collapse -
guess they shouldnt bogart that toad

what people will do to kill them selves makes me wonder

- Collapse -
I didn't read all the messages so excuse

me if this has been said. Try searching for 'toad licking' in google and spend an evening reading. It's been hoaxed many times before and pretty much considered folklore. The last few times it came around, people were supposedly licking frogs and toads to get high.

CNET Forums

Forum Info