General discussion

To watch TV on a pc...

Ciao and good day everyone-
I wish to be able to watch tv on my pc. I just moved into my Dad's place and the satellite only works for his two tvs. There is wireless broadband here too so it sounds like it could work.

I have a Toshiba A75 laptop, P4 with hyperthreading, 1.4 gig ram and 30 gig hd. It runs Win XP. I have seen advertisements for computer programs that would facilitate this, but really do not know if they are for real.

Thank you very much. I appreciate your time and attention.
Maria

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: To watch TV on a pc...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: To watch TV on a pc...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I would also like to have an answer to this one...

Expecially if a software only solution exists

- Collapse -
Two different routes....

1) TV tuner card. Some laptops have this functionality in them where basically you'd plug in the cable feed into this piece of hardware to enable your computer to be like a TV and is one option.

2) Slingbox. This is a device that allows you to watch TV on your PC.

Just a couple of ideas,
JB

(Who hasn't tried either, fwiw)

- Collapse -
You may know of this already...

Several TV broadcasters archive their shows online. (ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox to name a few)

I know this isn't probably the solution you want, but it works, esp. if you missed the last episode of your favorite show...

- Collapse -
Slingbox can be a problem if someone else watching

a different channel then you want. With Slingbox you recieve the actual channel your tv is on.

- Collapse -
purchase a external tv card

you need a external tv card that you can hook box to one with av inputs.

- Collapse -
And a third!

Satellite TV tuners for USB are now available, all you would need is a different LNB on the dish and another cable. then watch what you like.

- Collapse -
tv on pc

for

- Collapse -
TV on your PC

Yes there are now many programs that are offering to watch TV on your PC. The are usually free, but i am starting to see them offered for sale, why pay when you can find these programs free. Also they claim hundred's of channels, which is true; however most are the community channels you see on your local cable schedules. I did not find one Major network worldwide.

- Collapse -
watch tv on pc.

It is very simple. Buy a tv combo-box with remote. You do not even have to turn your pc on!

- Collapse -
Have a look at this;
http://tven.terratec.net/
"Turn your computer into a powerful video recorder and enjoy the many functions, such as multi-tuner support, convenient management of stations and favorites, electronic program guide, time-shifted television, automatic wake-up from standby or idle state, subtitle display (teletext and DVB), and integrated editing software."

CNET Forums

Forum Info