The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

to upgrade or wait for Vista -- aaarggh!!!

by shawnlin / August 22, 2006 7:09 AM PDT

I'd like to upgrade my Intel P4 2.4 GHz tower system - actaully, I'd like to basically replace it with the new Intel Core 2 Duo and motherboard, RAM, etc.

Question - should I wait for Vista to (finally) come out? I've heard there will be software-hardware compatability issues with Vista based on the way it is being designed...
I guess nearly everyone will have those issues though...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: to upgrade or wait for Vista -- aaarggh!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: to upgrade or wait for Vista -- aaarggh!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Core2 Duo should be a safe bet
by djcoty / August 22, 2006 7:32 AM PDT

I would be amazed if you have any issues running Vista if you get a Core2 Duo based system now. By the time Vista goes to consumer release in Janurary these chips will have already been superseded by the Core2 Quadro that's due in November. So lots of people will have Core2 Duo systems by then...

I myself am actually waiting until after Vista has come out because I am hoping to get the higher end Core2 Duo chips for less at that time - maybe even get one of the new four core processors Happy

Collapse -
Core 2 Quadro?
by shawnlin / August 22, 2006 7:53 AM PDT

I didn't know those chips were coming out... big concern is the motherboard that I'd be getting...

going from a P4 2.4Ghz system - I think I'll be plenty happy with a E6700 C2D chip for a while... I usually upgrade every 2-3 years.

Collapse -
Motherboards and expandability
by djcoty / August 22, 2006 11:53 PM PDT

Yeah, oddly Intel announced Core2 Quadro a week before Core2 Duo hit stores on July 24th (here in UK).

You want native Core2 Duo boards like the "Asus P5W DH Deluxe" that generally support the Core2 architecture with many cores. I just made a simular upgrade to you for my father in fact - though with a E6300 Core2 Duo - and it's a screamer. The added bonus of using this motherboard with this lower end Core2 Duo chip is that he can later on bump that machine up to a Core2 Quadro without worrying about changing the motherboard again.

Boards that advertise too much backwards compatability might not be so forwardly compatable.

Collapse -
zen and the art of computer upgrades...
by shawnlin / August 23, 2006 12:57 AM PDT

thanks! and nice quote:

"Boards that advertise too much backwards compatability might not be so forwardly compatable."

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Most welcome, good luck with your upgrade :)
by djcoty / August 23, 2006 2:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
I fear change
by csliva11 / August 22, 2006 7:36 AM PDT

I say upgrade. As said already, you should be a-ok with a dual core system.

As for me, I'll be waiting atleast a year and a half before I go Vista. Unless it has a feature that some how manages to wash my pickup every week than its pointless for me to update in January.

Collapse -
Wait for SP1
by dreamappetiser / August 23, 2006 4:39 AM PDT

If you wait for SP1 then most of the issues would have been resolved, vista will be "clean" and release bugs would have been fixed.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?