Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

to upgrade from XP home to basic XP pro just what do I buy?

I get confused even at Microsoft's sales site. Just what do I want to buy (to spend the least) to get a basic XP Pro version on my present computer. A simple upgrade, right? But if I buy a deep discounted "OEM Win XP Pro" disk from the internet, will that work for me, without wiping out my present data and programs?

I am a home user and my only reason for wanting to go XP pro is to get back Word, which I had on my old win 98-based computer. I do want Word and not some substitute unless is maintains full compatibility to edit and work existing Word docs.

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: to upgrade from XP home to basic XP pro just what do I buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: to upgrade from XP home to basic XP pro just what do I buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: to upgrade from XP home to basic XP pro just what do I b

In reply to: to upgrade from XP home to basic XP pro just what do I buy?

word dosnt come with either home or pro.
you have to install it from your ms word cd not home or xp pro have it

Collapse -

You will need to buy Microsoft Office, Works Suite or Word to have it installed on your computer.

Collapse -

When I got a new HD I got one of those $60 deals. Mine works fine. Mine came from Russia, 2 CD's of which 1 had SP1 and a new key with a way to change it. No problems at all. But Be Careful, email them 1st to make sure they're not a fly-bt-night group.

Collapse -

Go buy an old copy of Office 97. That has Word on it. To get the latest bells & whistles, Upgrade to Word 2002. It's the cheapest way that I've done. Word 2004 has lots of problems I don't recomend that version, it keeps wanting you to reinsert the CD to redownload things that you already have. It's not like that on everyones computer but, there is enought of a buzz & complaints out there that I'm not upgrading any further than the 2002 UPGRADE. Besides, 2002 Upgrade is cheaper now. Good luck... C... :->

Collapse -
Check this out

Collapse -
thanks to all respondents

=you folks have saved me much grief, aggravation=

see, someone off line, a salesperson in a retail store had told me "you only get Word with XP Pro" and sothat was the source of my confusion.

Best to you all. One more computing disaster averted.

Old Office disk I already have... never considered I could load it into an XP computer because it's a an earlier operating system. But mostly I lost out by not contacting a self-correcting community forum (like this one) in the first place. Thanks thanks thanks.

Did i say too many 'thanks'? Nope! (grin)

Collapse -
Re: thanks to all respondents

In reply to: thanks to all respondents

yw and be ware some office 97s didnt like xp

open office is good

Collapse -
Open Office is good (question about compatibility)

In reply to: Re: thanks to all respondents

=Before I attempt the 64MB download on slow speed dial up, i'd like to ask about compatibility:

Can my old Word docs be read, modified in OO? Are both kinds of docs back-and-forth compatible/alterable between a pair of machines running one on OO and the other on old Word?

Collapse -
Re: Open Office is good (question about compatibility)

In reply to: Open Office is good (question about compatibility)

In short, it works just as well as exchanging Word 97 and Word XP.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.