Speakeasy forum

General discussion

To TPTB

by oldie and goody / November 3, 2008 12:02 PM PST

This forum might just as well close it's door! Nothing but locks and new posts are few and far between

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: To TPTB
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: To TPTB
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Elections bring out the most contentious of us
by Ziks511 / November 3, 2008 4:19 PM PST
In reply to: To TPTB

of whom I am one, on the Democratic side. From my perspective, the Democratic side is significantly underrepresented here, and greatly maligned. I backed away from participation for some years because I was losing my perspective and becoming overly partisan. I do try now not to get too personally involved, though sometimes things astonish me and I type hastily. But passion in politics isn't a new feature of life. John Adams said some pretty nasty things about Jefferson during their campaigns.

Things will settle down in a year or two, but of course, then there will be a new campaign looming. We're all human, we make mistakes and let our passions run away with us. This is not a sin, it's normal. Just try to be patient.

Rob

Collapse -
I believe that was done with a
by Steven Haninger / November 3, 2008 7:40 PM PST

scalpel rather than a hatchet (if I might borrow from some of the campaign rhetoric). There was a request to curtail political conversation. While many of those threads didn't appear to have run amok...yet...they were nothing new, IMO. Some generics appeared to be left alone in that they didn't seem to be related to specific candidates and issues.

Collapse -
(NT) Oops...wrong...the hatchet came out later.
by Steven Haninger / November 3, 2008 7:54 PM PST
Collapse -
You may think so,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 3, 2008 8:04 PM PST

but without the constant bickering between the opposing factions of the US political divide, hopefully this forum will return to what it once was. A forum where other topics are posted about and discussed without the fear of them heading south.

You may even enjoy such 'non-political' discussions, but if not, then I am sure you will be able to find another home where you can continue your hot discussions and arguments.

Mark

Collapse -
Curious
by James Denison / November 3, 2008 8:57 PM PST
In reply to: You may think so,

Not your attitude, but something I was wondering about. What happens to one's posts if they request their profile be removed? Does the profile disappear only, or do the posts also?

Collapse -
What happens to one's posts
by JP Bill / November 3, 2008 11:34 PM PST
In reply to: Curious

What happens to one's posts if they request their profile be removed?

You can do that? ( I didn't see that option)

IF you are a member...you have a profile?

Turn in your membership, your profile disappears.

Why don't you try it?

Do a search for others that have had their profiles removed, see if you can find any of their posts.

Lots of posts in Forum Feedback asking to have membership canceled. Go there look at the names, do a search, Are there any posts by people that canceled membership?

Collapse -
(NT) thanks, I'll take a look there.
by James Denison / November 3, 2008 11:49 PM PST
Collapse -
Reminds me of holioday family get togethers...
by EdHannigan / November 3, 2008 10:00 PM PST

At my in-laws politics or strong disagreements or discussion of any kind were discouraged. Conversations centered on food. pets and what Aunt Ruth in Toledo was up to (usually nothing). That was interesting for about ten minutes. The gatherings were very boring and we couldn't wait to get out of there.

My family, on the other hand featured rousing, sometimes raucous debate on a wide range of subjects and were always tons of fun. No one wanted it to end and everyone looked forward to the next one.

To each his own.

Collapse -
One good thing came from the political debate.
by Kiddpeat / November 3, 2008 11:21 PM PST

Anyone who followed it became well informed about the most important issues in the campaign. If you don't know what the issues are, it's your fault.

Collapse -
as I sit here, sipping my Nescafe Classic
by James Denison / November 3, 2008 11:27 PM PST

...with sadness I just realized it will soon be gone and only Taster's Choice in cupboard to replace it. Wife said my brand wasn't in the store this week. Oh well, another election, another vote, nothing left now but to pray for rain, we could sure use some. Wink

Collapse -
Never liked Tasters Choice
by Steven Haninger / November 3, 2008 11:51 PM PST

Just don't change the kitchen dish rag for a week and then let it steep in your coffee cup. Same taste. Happy

Collapse -
oh joy
by James Denison / November 4, 2008 12:06 AM PST

I'd rather had french market, luzianne, or even folgers. My wife doesn't drink coffee, so for her it's like "oh, a choice concerned with taste, he'll like this".

Collapse -
Not really.
by critic411 / November 3, 2008 11:30 PM PST

They were at least offered the opportunity to be informed.

Collapse -
A mere friend will agree with you...
by C1ay / November 4, 2008 2:39 AM PST

...but a real friend will argue. - Source unknown

I remember joining SE during the ZDNet era when many of us fervently argued in the Clinton-Dole-Perot contest. We also argued about gay rights, religion and a host of other topics. Arguing with the opposition was the very reason many of us joined.

Now it seems that arguing is taking a thread south. I would suggest to the powers that be that you look at all the longest threads in the history of the forum and see if you don't find that they are the most contentious, most active threads in the forum. The very kind of threads and topics that drive the traffic and high levels of participation here. IMO, cutting off debate and argument will kill your traffic here, in this particular forum that has a long history of this very activity.

Collapse -
but a real friend will argue.
by JP Bill / November 4, 2008 2:49 AM PST

Does a real friend argue without name calling and insults?

Collapse -
(NT) Sometimes.....
by C1ay / November 4, 2008 3:20 AM PST
Collapse -
Yes, arguing and debating is healthy.
by Angeline Booher / November 4, 2008 3:32 AM PST

But as JP just pointed out, what crept in to that arguing was what turned out to be the death knell.

Some of the best solutions to personal, local, state, national, and world problems have been reached through debate.

It should have been OK to criticize the president, but it wasn't. It was called bashing. It is through constructive criticism that changes can be made. This county is less than 300 years old, and we are still learning how to best deal with our very vast land and diverse society. Remember, the rest of the world said that our form of government would never work.

It should have been OK for those from other countries to offer their opinions on our government, but it wasn't. Instead, they were told to bug off and shut up, as they had no interest in what we did.

The difference in SE mirrored the beginning of the chasm in the US in general with the start of demonizing the opponent, thus impossible to debate with civility. It finally reached the point that even innocuous topics drew the same level of responses. The labels remain the same from years ago. Before the person was just annoying. Now that person was somebody to get even with, teach a lesson, or get rid
of.

Perhaps our new president can heal the wounds and unite us. Let us hope for that. As the saying goes, we fall.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.