Speakeasy forum

Rant

To those that claim It can't get warm enough

by JP Bill / July 15, 2014 1:03 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: To those that claim It can't get warm enough
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: To those that claim It can't get warm enough
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It isn't always the weather
by TONI H / July 15, 2014 1:09 AM PDT

Sometimes, like in CA, it's the Federal Government that has diverted the water.

Collapse -
RE: it's the Federal Government that has diverted the water
by JP Bill / July 15, 2014 1:24 AM PDT

I don't think the government can divert the rain that is falling out of the sky...WHILE it is falling.

And when it isn't falling, ya' got nothing, nothing to divert, nothing to water your lawn with.

Part of wanting it to be warmer/dryer.

Collapse -
When water is deliberately
by TONI H / July 15, 2014 2:49 AM PDT

diverted, the underground dries up almost totally, making the surface even drier. Trees can't survive during droughts when they normally would have been able to because of deep moisture. When the rains do come, the water only soaks in about 4-6 inches deep, which is never enough to sustain much. Even in a forest fire, seeds go dormant and come back with gusto to rebuilt and grow the forest again......but ONLY if natural water is still deep in the ground. There would be plenty of water around for people to water their farms and lawns, if the MAIN water sources hadn't been diverted already. CA is absolutely the worst when it came to diversion of water.......

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / July 15, 2014 5:05 AM PDT
When water is deliberately diverted, the underground dries up almost totally, making the surface even drier. Trees can't survive during droughts when they normally would have been able to because of deep moisture. When the rains do come, the water only soaks in about 4-6 inches deep, which is never enough to sustain much. Even in a forest fire, seeds go dormant and come back with gusto to rebuilt and grow the forest again......but ONLY if natural water is still deep in the ground.

I've heard that. Nothing new there.

There would be plenty of water around for people to water their farms and lawns, if the MAIN water sources hadn't been diverted already.

Divert it here, divert it there......

There would also be be plenty of water around IF people didn't have lawns to water, cars to wash, swimming pools to fill, go boating in lakes to pollute the water, I could go on.

BTW...pouring rain here today, and perhaps for the next 2 days.
Collapse -
And your point is?
by TONI H / July 15, 2014 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Response

"boating that pollutes the water".....is that something YOU think about when YOU go fishing, JP? If I remember correctly, fishing is one of your pasttimes. Do YOU worry that you are polluting the lake? Are YOU thinking about how lucky you are that Canada hasn't diverted YOUR particular water source?

Collapse -
RE:is that something YOU think about when YOU go fishing, JP
by JP Bill / July 15, 2014 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: And your point is?

Not really..the times that I've fished...it's been from the shore or off of a trestle/bridge (no boat needed). Mostly in salt water. Want a drink of salt water? Cali is right by the ocean...why not get a desalination plant in operation? When I drive by a body of fresh water and see boats in it...I do think...I wonder why they let those boats pollute all that water that could be used for drinking.

If I remember correctly, fishing is one of your pasttimes.

Maybe in PAST TIMES. not for 50 years.

Are YOU thinking about how lucky you are that Canada hasn't diverted YOUR particular water source?

My water source is a well...I have to have 7 days of sunshine in order for the lawn to be not so soggy in some spots in order to mow the lawn. Pretty good, eh?

I've never watered the lawn, heck...I very seldom drink water, it's good for having a shower, cleaning stuff.

Collapse -
Ya gotta be careful with that water JP
by itsdigger / July 15, 2014 6:45 AM PDT

It'll rust ur guts Devil

Digger

Collapse -
all of the water I drink
by JP Bill / July 15, 2014 6:48 AM PDT

is in the form of ice cubes...and 1 cup of coffee a day

Collapse -
My water source is also a well
by TONI H / July 15, 2014 7:18 AM PDT

But where do you think the water that goes into that well comes from? If the Government decided to divert the natural stream I have on my property from further away, I would be completely dried up in about two days. How about you? Or is that something you just don't think about because your government hasn't diverted your REAL water source ? What would you do if it did because somebody with big/deep pockets needed it more than you?

Collapse -
RE: If the Government decided to divert the natural stream
by JP Bill / July 15, 2014 12:16 PM PDT
If the Government decided to divert the natural stream I have on my property from further away,

Would that be worse than if a coal company decided to divert/contaminates the natural stream I have on my property from further away?

West Virginia Water Supply Remains Toxic
Collapse -
RE: because your government
by JP Bill / July 15, 2014 12:20 PM PDT
because your government hasn't diverted your REAL water source ?

Why do you assume there is a natural stream on my property or anywhere near my property?

Do you need a natural stream to have a well?
Collapse -
How do YOU think
by TONI H / July 15, 2014 7:58 PM PDT

the water gets into your well? Do you have it hauled in by tanker and dumped into your well so it's 'handy' or is there via an underground stream?

Collapse -
I notice your "REAL water source"
by JP Bill / July 15, 2014 9:09 PM PDT
In reply to: How do YOU think

has changed from a "natural stream" to "an underground stream".

NOW you're using your noggin.

No comment on Big Business(coal) diverting/contaminating YOUR neighbours REAL water source?

Collapse -
First.....
by TONI H / July 15, 2014 10:07 PM PDT

the underground streams are fed naturally by natural ground level streams, creeks, rivers, et al......and if the natural ground levels are dammed up or diverted, the underground streams dry up and kill the trees that depend on it. You are deliberately trying to 'divert' by parsing. It's not working, JP..........your antagonistic reasons (by your own admission) for posting are turning you into a public fool.

Where is your link to proving that the coal industry diverted a water source? There is a huge difference between diverting and contaminating, so please stay on topic if you are able to.

Collapse -
RE: There is a huge difference
by JP Bill / July 15, 2014 10:13 PM PDT
In reply to: First.....
There is a huge difference between diverting and contaminating,

Either way...YOU can't drink the water...end result is the same.....

underground streams are fed naturally by natural ground level streams, creeks, rivers, et al

Next you'll be telling me that natural ground level streams, creeks, rivers, et al get their water from rain and snow melting.
Collapse -
Didn't Nancy Pelosi
by itsdigger / July 15, 2014 8:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yes...farm land was literally dried up
by TONI H / July 15, 2014 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Didn't Nancy Pelosi

deliberately because of that quarter inch fish that benefits nobody....but it's okay to destroy people's livelihood and an entire economic benefit.

Collapse -
It wasn't money out of her pocket
by James Denison / July 15, 2014 9:56 AM PDT

so it didn't really matter. Maybe fish vote now? Maybe she should take a swim with them.

Collapse -
Where are the PSAs?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2014 1:30 AM PDT

I'm now in CA, USA and the utter lack of PSAs here is astounding. We've been in a drought for years and not one flyer in the mail about. Not one billboard, not one TV PSA and the message here is clear.

It's about money. Sure there is a drought but since telling folk to cut back could avert a rise in prices, why give the suckers a chance?
Bob

Collapse -
I thought CA was a "blue" state
by Steven Haninger / July 15, 2014 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Where are the PSAs?

but it looks bright red to me. Must be some kinda' "scorched earth" policy.

Collapse -
Live there longer, pal
by Willy / July 15, 2014 4:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Where are the PSAs?

Heck, Robert many long time residents know about water issues. They don't complain that much because they know its part of living there. The added issue of a drought is keen because if your in LA which is really already desert and pumping water from areas they leach from, understand it will get worse. Many laws and in areas of fire prone areas are well signed. I can only summarize in tough times, be happy you have some water to drink rather than the lawn. Notice, the icicle plant on freeways which are drought or less water thirsty, there the govt. is working quite well, the DOT is at least. I've lived in the desert so I know about water and what to carry in the trunk. Place wraps on car parts so they don't melt or misshape and water bags to place over radiators, yada, yada. AND yeah you pay for water at the gas station in the desert to refill your radiator. Have a water jug if you travel alot. One reason i left CA. too much to deal with even if you can handle it. Get away from the big cities and feel the moisture being sucked out of you. 29 Palms and others areas, to include Death Valley. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Was just reading an article last night
by Diana Forum moderator / July 15, 2014 7:50 AM PDT

The main problem with water in Calif is that Nestle is pulling water out of the aquafer on the Indian reservation for bottled water and the state can't even go on and stop it and they refuse to even tell how much they are pulling out of the ground.

Diana

Collapse -
It's not the 'main' problem, Diana
by TONI H / July 15, 2014 8:13 AM PDT

but companies, in order to survive when you have government interference, will become creative.........and evidently the Indians are welcoming the revenue since the government really doesn't take care of those on reservations very well anyhow. Sounds like a pretty symbiotic relationship that's working for both, to me.

Collapse -
California Dreamin'?
by Dafydd Forum moderator / July 15, 2014 8:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Or its pot.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
yards in california
by James Denison / July 15, 2014 9:52 AM PDT

It's not difficult to lay a manifold pipe 4 inches into the soil along one side of the yard and then attach drip lines every foot or two. At a drip rate of 1/2 gal per hour they could put water right at the root zone in economic manner. I'd also want a grey water tank with a filter for yard use. That way anything other than down the toilet could be recycled into growing the lawn or garden area. Even here on East Coast, I put drip line in my garden for planting rows, then contractor plastic over it, use landscape ties to hold it down, placed over the drip line and plastic, so it holds both in place. I then punch some small holes with a spade fork down each row to get some perc from rain, but still stop weeds from growing. The plastic also keeps evaporation rates down, dirt splash onto plants no longer an issue, which lowers plant virus infections like blights.

2010 garden picture

Some harvest 2011

another

Collapse -
My suggestion
by JP Bill / July 15, 2014 12:25 PM PDT
In reply to: yards in california
Collapse -
(NT) Little boxes made of ticky tacky?
by Steven Haninger / July 15, 2014 6:55 PM PDT
In reply to: My suggestion
Collapse -
I remember living in Phoenix during the summer
by Diana Forum moderator / July 16, 2014 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: My suggestion

There were a ton of grapefruit trees in my back yard (which was sunk in the ground). You were allowed to flood the yard once a week on a certain day. Everyone paid a guy to come through and turn on and off the water that day. The front yard was on it's own. It did rain once in a while so much that it flooded the main street. There were drainage bars in the underpasses on the freeways.

Like the idea of green gravel - no mowing.

Diana

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?