TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

TO: THE AUDIO/VIDEO FORUM

SORRY, SOME OF MY POSTS AS OF LATE, have been short and curt.
MOSTLY it's because my major surgery has me a nervous wreck. I'm 49, and never had surgery.

For those interested, its a total right hip replacement; 05/09.

If I've come across nasty, like STEWEE says, I'm sorry. I've never tried to steer anybody in the wrong direction.

BEST WISHES TO ALL!

riv.07

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TO: THE AUDIO/VIDEO FORUM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TO: THE AUDIO/VIDEO FORUM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Best wishes

In reply to: TO: THE AUDIO/VIDEO FORUM

Riverledge, you will be fine! Better and faster than before!

Just remember, you will be in some pain right after the surjury. Listen to the doctors and do your PT and it will pass quickly.
Plus you have us all here for support.

hyghwayman

Collapse -
I had rotator cuff and a hernia, not at the same time.

Had the rotator cuff in 2000 and the hernia in 2003.
The rotator cuff was harder, I went to a lot of PT.
I took a lot of herbs and some homeopathic remedies that did help with
the recovery a LOT!!!!!
If your interested just e-mail me. John

Collapse -
River, I have found your posts (responses) to be...

informative, punctual, and to the point. Even when newcomers like myself haved posed what must seem like annoying and redundant questions that everyone here has seen a thousand times, you still managed to take the time to respond just the same. I look forward to when I again start to get serious about my first HDTV purchase again (sometime this summer/fall) and again ask my usual noob questions, and again get all sorts of great info from informed members like yourself.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you during your time of surgery. I have had 2 surgeries myself and they can rattle the nerves. But as hospitals and medical technologies have advanced so much in the last few decades, I'm thinking you'll be fine.

Best of luck...James

Collapse -
It's cool

Good luck with the surgery, I'm sure it'll all work out fine.

Collapse -
MR RIVER I KNEW SOMETHING WAS WRONG

From the start. That is why I have been trying to humer you along I know all of us folks at c. net wish you well I know I have been blessed at 69 I still feel great and one of the joys in life is this chat room I know that the few times I have solved someone problem that I really felt fuzzy inside Just reading these posts must make you feel better inside YOUR C,NET FRIEND ALWAYS STEWEEEE

Collapse -
THANX STEWEE, AND THE OTHER POSTERS ABOVE, YOU............

In reply to: MR RIVER I KNEW SOMETHING WAS WRONG

CANNOT BELIEVE WHAT YOUR THOUGHTS MEAN TO ME. I DO ALWAYS TRY TO SAY
SOMETHING WORTHWHILE, sometimes, it may not come across that way.

Thank you for your support.

river040307.

Collapse -
It is not that bad

I had a double (2) lumbar discectomy about 6 years ago when I was 21yrs. I worst is for 6 weeks I could not bend over, pick anything more then 5 pounds up, twist ect.... It does not sound like much but you be supprised when you have to always think I can't do that & that, how limited you are. Then it took me 2 weeks to get back to getting used to bending over & moving my back, sounds dumb but after 6 weeks you get in the habit for not moving your back at all.

For the hip, my neighbor had both L/R hips replaced about 2 years ago, now she is out walking her dog & doing yard work & you would never know.

Take you time to recover, don't do anything dumb, like I did. When I was 16 I had a minor knee surgery & 1 hour after I got home I fell on that knee Happy

Collapse -
Brand New.

In reply to: It is not that bad

My father has had both knees replaced and is better than ever. He is 67 and and can now go for walks and no longer needs a cane. Just remember, everything will be brand new and artificial so you won't have the pain anymore. There's nothing left that would cause pain. You'll come through like a champ. Modern Medicine is great.

P.S.
Be absolutely sure to do your Physical Therapy. This is the most important part of a surgery of your kind.

Take care,

grc

Collapse -
I had my first surgery two years

ago (thyroidectomy). The absolute worst part was going through what you're presently experiencing; the waiting. The fear and anxiety far exceed the reality of what you're about to have done. My 85 year old mother just had a total hip replacement, and the worst part for her was the hospital's lime Jell-O.

Collapse -
EUROPA, THANKS FOR THE LAUGH.

In reply to: I had my first surgery two years

God bless your grandmother.

as always,
river.

Collapse -
Anxiety has gotten to you, but that's all it is. Easy, big

fella! You already let up know you'll be at one of the most major centers. Your staff will be top pros who have done hundreds of these.

OK, here's the only downside, but bear me out. I underestimated post op bodily trauma with joint replacement. I'm no hero around pain. Grew up with ordinary folks & associated heat with temporary comfort. Ha! In 24 hours at home you will learn to know cold packs. In 48 hours you wouldn't do without.

From there, follow doctors' orders like a religion. Same with physical therapy. Pay attention as most insurance will only pay for an introduction, so learn.

I too have been serious about nutritional supplements for about 15 years. E-mail me too if interested. I have some (not professional) knowledge/experience. A fluke was a brother-in-law hypnotist (so he did it free.) With hypno sessions docs couldn't believe the quick healing. (food for thought)

You know you have best wishes & some prayers in general extended to you...hang in there, post when you feel like it.

Collapse -
When??

I hope you don't have to worry for a whole 2 years about the replacement. You are just a young guy and everything will work out just fine. I have tald to many, many people thst have had knee and hip replacements and every one is glad they got it done.

Collapse -
THANK YOU HTHMAN, GO DATE 05/09/07.............

In reply to: When??

YIKES!!!

river.

Collapse -
A couple of thoughts, admittedly off topic as this is the

In reply to: THANK YOU HTHMAN, GO DATE 05/09/07.............

home audio & video forum.

The jitters got to you because of the long anticipating wait. I had a bro-in-law who was a hypnotist for state police. Witnesses would volunteer for a trance to visualize license plate numbers to be helpful. My wife skidded on shear ice years ago & shattered an ankle. Needed pins. Three sessions reinforced mental attitude & focus of body nutrients to heal. Doc was amazed a speed of healing.

A session now could calm & aid anxiety very much. Then 1 or 2 post-op.

The other thought relates to the spiritual. I think you had posted acknowledging that. No to raise ire of atheists, but general Christian feeling is that one must surrender with true humility & then receives the blessings of extra faith, power & help, knowing you enjoy extra strength because it's not just you, but calm is yours as you always have extra assuring help with you. Not to be underestimated. And you know some of us have said you will go in with some extra prayers from this community.

Collapse -
to my friends RIVER AND BILL

Even thou I have never met you both. it seems like we have been life long friends. When I chat with my friends and family and and start talking about home theater they usually run screeming out of the room ha ha. I think chatting with you all and my hi-def hobby keeps this old fart alive "0" well enough of this lovy dove crap back to helping these youngins get there stuff working god bless everyone stewe

Collapse -
To Riverledge

Riverledge:

I am on week 5 of my recovery from THR on the right side and I just turned 45. Yours will also go fine. This is a 98%+ success rate surgery.

Week one was definitely painful but also very manageable with meds. You will be up and around the second day after surgery but it will be painful. In week two I was up and around quite well with two crutches and very little pain. Went to one crutch in week three and a cane in week four. This week I sometimes use the cane and sometimes don't - walking with just a slight limp and expect no crutch and no limp within two weeks.

Collapse -
B.I.T 60's; THANK YOU FOR YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT, I'M GLAD.....

In reply to: To Riverledge

EVERYTHING IS GOING WELL FOR YOU. I'm having it done in BOSTON, where
results are very good, I'm told. I feel reassured the pain disapates, within weeks. And I thought was aweful, now!!!

Many thanks,
riverledge.

Collapse -
(NT) good luck

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!