PC Applications forum

General discussion

to suite or not to suite

by apple25 / January 23, 2008 10:12 AM PST

I have a new computer. My old one ran on win98se and all the software is old and will not run on xp. I am not sure I want to fork over my credit card to norton or mcafee. I read some where they automaticly sign you to a life time contract and it is very hard to get out of. be that as it may, I would like some opinions on whether or not to buy a utility suite or buy separate programs for registry cleaning, startup manager, defragging, backup, etc. Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Apple

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: to suite or not to suite
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: to suite or not to suite
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go Suite
by Dango517 / January 23, 2008 11:55 AM PST

Everything is together and this makes it easier to use and this way costs less also.

I like this suite it provides complete security and repairs your computer too.

http://iolo.com/sm/7/std/

This thread is not being tracked. Good luck.

Collapse -
Suites...
by John.Wilkinson / January 24, 2008 2:45 AM PST

McAfee and Norton do not force you into a lifetime subscription, nor do they have such an option. Instead, they offer the option of automatic renewal before your 1-year subscription expires, which you can opt out of at any time. Alternatively, purchase a boxed copy from a retail store so you never have to give them such information.

Personally, I haven't found all-in-one suites to offer comprehensive coverage as each has at least one component that's not up to snuff. PC Magazine rated Norton IS 2008 and Zonealarm IS 7.0 the top two suites, but neither of those include registry cleaners, defraggers, etc. You're crossing security with maintenance there. Unless you want an AV, a firewall, spam protection, and parental controls all under one roof you can skip the suite and pick the best of each category. Then, keep in mind the following:

1.) Registry cleaning benefited Windows 95.98/ME users, but does little good under XP/Vista and can actually cause more harm than good. Don't pay for one, and only run something along the lines of RegSeeker as needed.
2.) Startup managers are unnecessary...just go Start->Run and type in msconfig for that built into Windows. Also check out the Startup folder in your Start Menu.
3.) Windows defragmenter is basic but can get the job done. Auslogic is a good freeware alternative.
4.) Backup depends on your definition...individuals files, entire hard drive, or...?

That should give you a starting point without investing in multiple all-in-one packages that are more fluff than tough.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
a indepth explanation
by apple25 / January 24, 2008 10:09 AM PST
In reply to: Suites...

Hey john,
Thanks for the advice, first let me say that my last computer lasted me over 10 years so I?m a little behind the times. Since I made my post I was able to buy a copy of Norton system works premier 2008 for 15.99 w/ rebate. I couldn?t pass up the deal. That being said, I am using AVG for my virus protection, ad-aware to clean up the spyware and the firewall that came with XP. l have noticed that XP is a lot more stable and forgiving like you said I probably won?t need a reg cleaner as much. I did use startup cop w/ my old unit and made sets of different startup programs depending on what I was doing I found that my old computer ran much faster that way. I guess like my old computer we?re both dinosaurs. I did try the windows defrag and found it very slow. The only thing I really could use is a backup program. For now I just back up my documents, mostly letters and spreadsheets I am using the one that came w/ XP but it?s all manual I would like something that does it automatically. As I start to transfer my cd collections to mp3?s and when I get a digital camera I will need something much more robust. Any suggestions in that department would be of great help. Thanks again
Apple

Collapse -
by caktus / January 25, 2008 3:05 AM PST
In reply to: a indepth explanation

The Windows defrag tool is fine for most. But as you mentioned, it is slow. See here for an excellent and much better free alternative.

For an easy and free alternative to using msconfig and All Programs/Startup folder, try giving Win Patrol a try. It will also notify you in the event that something, including spyware attempts to add someting to your startup programs and will give you an option to either allow or disallow it. It is very reliable and uses almost no resources.

Hope this is helpful.

Charlie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.