Cameras forum

General discussion

To Snapshot2 - Thank You!!

A few months ago, I asked a question regarding the recommended size photo that should be used when creating a photo DVD slide show for a widescreen TV. During that thread, you recommended ProShow Gold.

I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH!! After about a month of fighting Nero and the 3rd Nero crash in one day, I downloaded the ProShow Gold trial. I figured adjusting to a new program couldn't be as bad as losing half a slide show to a crash.

ProShow Gold works wonderfully. After fighting Nero and Creator for 10 years, creating a slide show is once again FUN! No more clean uninstalling and reinstalling when the software would crash or hang.

I regularly make hour long slide shows with 1000+ photos and music from our vacations plus five annual ones detailing a year in each of my grandchildren's life. (I'm a prolific photographer; not necessarily good. Kids don't care.) ProShow Gold handled it and never blinked. I'm certain it cut a week's time from the production of my latest DVD.

And the features... I was so excited that I didn't have to start an audio or video editor to do basic cuts and fades. The motions, transitions and caption options are more than plentiful.

And get this... I had a question and called the support line. An actual LIVE person answered the phone and my questions when I called. None of that "If you're standing on one leg and hopping, press 1" routine from PhotoDex. Plus... they spoke perfect American!

The features kick Nero's behind and I think I'm in love. I may just upgrade to Producer.

So, Snapshot2 .... THANK YOU ! THANK YOU ! THANK YOU ! You have truly changed my life by recommending ProShow Gold.

DISCLAIMER - Yes, I know I'm gushing and this sounds like a commercial, but, it's not. I don't work for PhotoDex or know anyone who does. I'd never heard of ProShow until Snapshot2 recommended it. I must admit I am a UT grad and PhotoDex is located in Austin, but, I didn't know that until I started to call support and noticed the (512) area code.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: To Snapshot2 - Thank You!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: To Snapshot2 - Thank You!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your Welcome

In reply to: To Snapshot2 - Thank You!!

I spent a lot of time looking for a good slide show program.
Theirs has every feature that I was looking for.
Their independent user's group keeps coming up with new effects to use.
I tried the snow falling effect on one of the slides in my last slide show.
It looks great.
I have also used the opening/closing curtain effect with good results.

Collapse -
Hey There !

In reply to: Your Welcome

Snapshot2,

I haven't gotten that far. It has so many features I haven't gotten through them all and I don't really understand what they all do or the best way to utilize them.

I did try the motion effects, but, obviously I didn't know what I was doing because it was a little nauseating! Consequently, I removed them and decided to learn later. Also, layers are confusing. I'm familiar with the concept because I use layers when editing in Photoshop Elements, but, I haven't spent that much time working with it. I'm still at the bottom of the learning curve and, after the holidays, I'm going to play around and see what I can do.

If you're talking about the user group at proshowenthusiasts.com, it has been a great. Any question I had was answered there and I donated to help keep it going.

I seriously can't tell you how much the recommendation has meant. When I was using Nero, there were times when I'd be almost finished with an hour long DVD, it would crash, the saved files wouldn't load and I'd have to start all over. The instability made me nuts and I'd always assumed that it was a problem with these programs because I'd tried Creator (back when it was still EZ CD/DVD Creator) and it had a problem, as well.

I think it's the size of the slide shows because I never had a problem with smaller ones. Most have 10-20 shows in them and eat almost all of the 4 GB on the DVD. The bigger they got, the more likely a crash.

Regardless, ProShow Gold has been a godsend and all I can say again is "Thank You!" If you're ever in Atlanta or Amelia Island, FL, let me know and dinner's on me.

Sheryl Dudley
luv10s@attglobal.net

Collapse -
A couple of tips

In reply to: Hey There !

Nauseating:
When you pan or zoom, you are probably moving too fast.
Double or tripple the view time for motion slides.
Experiment with the time and you will get the knack of guessing the right amount of time to use.

Memory:
ProShow Gold can hog a good amount of memory when you are putting together a slide show.
So do not go from building your slide show and then immediately burn the DVD.
After working on the slide show, save the results and shut down ProShow Gold.
Then start up ProShow Gold and start the steps to burn the DVD.
When you shut down the program, it releases all of that memory that it is holding.

Collapse -
Great Tips !

In reply to: A couple of tips

I'll add time when I try it again. It was pretty funny because it was sort of a 'roller coaster' effect. If I ever do one for someone I don't like, I'll definitely shorten the time. (My evil twin speaks.)

I didn't notice it eating a lot of memory. However, I didn't burn the DVDs with Proshow. I created an ISO/Image file from Proshow and then used Nero's burning software to burn it onto DVDs. (I think I read that on the forum... or I just reverted to what I did with Nero.) I'll make sure to shut it down next time before I burn the image or DVD.

Thanks for the tips; I'll take as many as you have.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.