TO SHOW READ/UNREAD MESSAGES

due to a temporary bug, ALL messages are "unread" til you post at least once

PLEASE POST AN "NT" IN THIS THREAD.....

thanks

jonah

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: TO SHOW READ/UNREAD MESSAGES
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: TO SHOW READ/UNREAD MESSAGES
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks! I hope this works.
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Works like a charm. Thanks, Jonah.
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) OK, not a first-rate charm, but this is the real world.
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It seems a tad inconsistent
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Crossing fingers.
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Again?
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Again.
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And again.
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Like this?
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Nope, not working.
- Collapse -
Actually, that only works

for the session you have already got running...once you close the original window/browser, you are back at the beginning. It shows you are still logged in if you use a Favorites link to get in, but it's not holding the actual pages settings you used before.

The only thing I've found that works at this point is to delete all cnet cookies, delete all history, and then delete all of the Favorites links you use.

You can't do this while you're on the net in cnet either...you have to close all browsers, go into Internet Options of IE at least, and delete from there. Except for the Favorites links you use (I use the LINKS toolbar).

Once you have done that go back to CNET, get into the ALL FORUMS page (on the left hand side under the Welcome), and right click each forum you want to save and Open in New Window, then click any message as if you want to reply to it. You will AGAIN get a log in page as if you weren't already logged in....then instead of posting a reply of any kind, click the link above the message area to go to the main page of that particular forum again. At that point, you will finally see the page the way it should be for your preferences.

SAVE that page to Favorites. Close that window, and you should still have the Forums list page up, so now you can just right click any of them, Open in New Window and the page will be according to your preferences without having to go through all the crap you just went through. Save that page, close the window and go on to the next forum you want to save, and keep repeating this until you have all the forums you normally travel to saved in your Favorites as new links.

What a total PITA...............

And if that's not enough....the first time you go to post a reply, and click Submit, you are directed to a blank reply window. Just click the Back button and your post is still there, so hit Submit again, and it posts. After that all replies should be okay without doing this anymore.

An even bigger PITA.........

I HATE CNET UPDATES............

TONI

- Collapse -
The heck with all that

I'll wait til it's fixed on the CNET end.

Also, a lot slower now. How is this an upgrade? Hope they get their act toogether.

- Collapse -
I may or may not hang around today

Have some cleaning up to do to straighten out a storage area upstairs to keep me busy and a few games I can play rather than piss myself off all day long playing with this crap. Somebody email me if they get it fixed......

TONI

- Collapse -
Whatever they pay

to these webmasters, it's too freaking much, and I would do the same job, better, for HALF that much....

TONI

- Collapse -
What a freaking joke

I just closed all browser windows, opened up a new session, clicked my 'new' link to SE and was back at the beginning.

If you don't reply to something somewhere ahead of time, you never get the saved preferences.

TONI

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) NT Better than logging in each time
- Collapse -
Well, it didn't work! And now...

Logging off and logging back in doesn't work either! Half the time I get a page not found and the forums are loading slower than usual, What a PITA!

- Collapse -
Well, it didn't work! And now...

Logging off and logging back in doesn't work either! Half the time I get a page not found and the forums are loading slower than usual, What a PITA!

- Collapse -
This is crap!

I posted, It wouldn't take the post, I went back did it again, I got page not found! Now I see it posted the same message twice! Let me know when they fix the fix! Sad

- Collapse -
Thanks, Jonah, for a spot here to do this

bit of a workaround until things are straightened out.

Happy

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) After reading this thread, I wanna know, can we go back
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ycpsotpattatpsottbnatpatt
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ???
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) OK. And thanks!
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) (((sigh))) guess I need to go do something else
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ohhh michaellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Gotta love those bugs ... hope they fix it soon.
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) NT in this thread. :-)
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) second try.

CNET Forums