HolidayBuyer's Guide

iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Resolved Question

To screen protect or not to screen protect?

by Irishsof / January 23, 2012 7:14 AM PST

Hey all,

I received an iPad for Christmas, and I was informed that the guy at the Apple store told my partner (the buyer) that I should not use a screen protector on it. That they "advise against it."

I had never heard that, but have never asked the question myself. Has anyone heard that advice from Apple?

Either way, opinions on whether I should put a screen protector on? I use them on my iPod Touch and iPhone. I do have a smart cover on my iPad.

Irishsof has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: To screen protect or not to screen protect?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: To screen protect or not to screen protect?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Irishsof

Collapse -
A screen protector is a must have
by dannymichel / February 1, 2012 3:10 PM PST

No idea why anyone would advice a screen protector. in-fact, i highly advice against not having one. without one, you're guaranteed to scratch your phone up pretty badly within a year.

Collapse -
Your post is confusing
by birdmantd Forum moderator / February 1, 2012 8:17 PM PST

After reading your post title you agree that a screen protector is important and then your first sentence seems to say otherwise in the beginning and seems to contradict itself at the end. Which is it ??

Collapse -
Type probably?
by Irishsof / February 1, 2012 11:27 PM PST
In reply to: Your post is confusing

I think dannymichel meant to say "no idea why anyone would advise AGAINST a screen protector". Just my guess.

Thanks for all the input, ya'll. Appreciate it.

Collapse -
Answer
Just got one too
by volvogirl / January 23, 2012 7:51 AM PST

from Best Buy and they installed the anti-glare one. It's great for stopping the glare but it does make the screen look fuzzy. I went back and asked them about it and they said it would go away after awhile. I don't know if I should believe them or not.

There are 2 kinds the clear and the anti-glare. And of course the clear one was only 29.99 had a special free install. But the anti-glare was $10 more and $15 install! I'm kinda mad about it. He said he would install it for free but then when we paid we were upsold? to the antiglare one.

Collapse -
Answer
The Apple store offered bad advice
by birdmantd Forum moderator / January 23, 2012 7:56 AM PST

Maybe they rely on people scratching up the iPad display so they have to buy a new device more often . I strongly suggest you get a screen protector as I have since I bought the original iPad. The screen protector does seem to enhance the sensitivity of the screen in my opinion.

A screen protector will not damage your iPad and is a worthwhile investment at a low cost. If you are smart enough to protect your iPod and iPhone, you understand the benefits and protection it offers.

Collapse -
Answer
Please get it
by max2008is / January 24, 2012 7:43 PM PST

Yeah they suggest not to but I have got one to make sure it remains safe
It's not compulsory but still gives a protection

Collapse -
Answer
Screen protector for ipad
by Suzcnetname / January 27, 2012 9:30 AM PST

Hi

I was also told this. The reason they gave was that the screen protectors affect the touch sensitivity and I guess this causes the user to use more pressure on the screen than is necessary thus there is a possibility of causing damage. Ever since I haven't used a screen protector and haven't had any problems. I have a cover for my ipad which helps protect the screen when I am not using it.

Collapse -
Answer
Not necessary
by asikhs / January 28, 2012 12:00 AM PST

When I got my original iPad I went on line and saw that there is a whole industry centered on providing aftermarket solutions for Apple products. I bought a cheapo screen protector that I never installed and a $5 cover that still works two years later. My screen is perfect other than smudges. Screen protectors and expensive cases are as useful as extended warranties.

Collapse -
In my opinion
by birdmantd Forum moderator / January 28, 2012 5:42 AM PST
In reply to: Not necessary

The screen protector us a economical solution for possible accidental damage. While I have never damaged one of my phones or displays, I feel it is a cheap type of insurance in the event that my iPad display is scratched. It does not adversely affect the device in any way (in my opinion). OP, it's up to you to decide, we can only offer opinions.

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) It depends
by Cola56 / February 1, 2012 10:51 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.