Computer Help forum

General discussion

To open with or not to open with

by tomron / October 25, 2004 3:52 PM PDT

I am trying to install a program called REGMON.A window appears saying "open with, click the program you want to use to open 'ntregmon[1].zip'. if the program is not in the list,click other". There's a list of options,such as spybot,ms word,IE,and so on to choose.If I pick MS WORD,this program will only open if I open MS WORD,am I reading that right,also why do I rarely encounter this open with window.My OS is WIN 2K PRO.If you need any more info,please advise.
much appreciated,
Tom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: To open with or not to open with
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: To open with or not to open with
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: To open with or not to open with
by Coryphaeus / October 25, 2004 4:15 PM PDT

If the extension of the file is .zip you need an unzipper to unzip the file. Winzip is available for a price.

Collapse -
Re: To open with or not to open with
by Kees Bakker / October 25, 2004 5:10 PM PDT
Collapse -
JustZIPit
by caktus / October 25, 2004 5:36 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: JustZIPit
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 25, 2004 6:31 PM PDT
In reply to: JustZIPit

I always use Winzip for *.zip files.

It's available for a free trial period, and the trial never seems to end.

Collapse -
by tomron / October 25, 2004 6:41 PM PDT
In reply to: JustZIPit

That did it,no more "open with" window.What I don't understand is why that only appears sometimes and what is this zip thing? I made a mistake,I meant to place my question in the newbie section.
Thanks,
Tom

Collapse -
by Bob__B / October 25, 2004 10:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: JustZIPit

".zip" files are files that have been compressed or squeezed.

Because they have been squeezed that makes them smaller and faster to send across the net.

The only problem is when you receive them you need an unsqueezer to bring them back to their original size and to be of any use.

That's where products like winzip or others come in.

You can store a ".zip" file on your hd (it will take less space) but if you try to access it you will need an unsqueezer tool.

Collapse -
by tomron / October 26, 2004 7:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: JustZIPit

I appreciate the help.
Tom

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.