Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

To: Mozilla FF and TB XP users

There seems to be a conflict of interest between TB214 and FF3 wrt XPsp2Pro as follows. When starting the computer, a link from a TB email will not load FF but elicit a ?Mozilla crash reporter? popup. This only applies when from links in TB email, links from other programs or inserted hyperlinks in say Jarte or MSOffice2003 for example, start FF seamlessly and load links without problem.

However the problem goes further. If FF is loaded manually prior to activating a link in a TB email, brings forth a distorted link (adding \\ before www) in the FF?s address-bar, leading to an error page.

The frustrating part is, that after a few manual exits and starts TB appears to eventually find or conversely FF allows communication with, and all is back to normal, all by itself. Making the problem difficult to trace by elimination.

I?m running XP without any of the available Windows Components, except Accessories. From its own partition. Additional programs are installed on a separate partition. FF and TB are running with their respective default Themes. Suspected attack sites and forgeries are un-ticked in options/security.

What have I done so far. Re-installed both FF and TB from scratch (deleting profile folder). Ran both with all extensions disabled. No change. Checked for viruses etc. with uptodate ClamWinPortable and SuperAntiSpyware, clean. HijackThis, nothing untoward.

I suspect it to be a Windows problem without being able to put my finger on it. Any experience with same or thoughts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: To: Mozilla FF and TB XP users
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: To: Mozilla FF and TB XP users
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you removed IE?

In reply to: To: Mozilla FF and TB XP users

That could well be your problem.

Collapse -
TB = Thunderbird?

Sorry to state the obvious, but I assume you mean Thunderbird. I use Thunderbird v2.0.0.14. Is that the TB214 you mention?

I have read your post a few times now and I think I am beginning to understand the problem you are experiencing. But can you clear one thing up?

You said "when starting the computer, a link from a TB email will not load FF".

What is the connection between starting a computer and a TB email? Is there some email you have that is attempting to display on Startup? Or do you mean, once Windows is fully loaded, you then open Thunderbird, receive an email that has an internet link in it, (either http:// or www.), and when clicking that link, there is a problem with FF?

If so, I can't say I have ever come across that problem. But then I generally start my Firefox browser first, then I open Thunderbird.

I see you have done extensive diagnosing, but perhaps you can eliminate one of the factors. If you still have a working IE on your system, can you make IE your default browser? If so, then what happens when you click a link in an email to open IE? Does everything work properly and as expected then?

If so, then that points to FF being the problem. If not, then the problem seems to be isolated to Thunderbird.

That's all I can offer at the moment. Hopefully others here will have better ideas.

Mark

Collapse -
all

In reply to: TB = Thunderbird?

Yes, that is TB214 is Thunderbird v2.0.0.14 and FF3 is Firefox v3

IE, yes it is removed from components, however that only effects the Desktop, the engine is still available and works through Explorer. Also FF uses it through the IE Tab extension. There is no problem there.

?Connection between Stating computer and TB email? was to indicate that when starting the computer in the morning I check my emails by starting TB, obviously. If I then get a link I would like to check out, I click on it and expect FF to start-up or load automatically, at least that?s what I have always been accustomed to up to now, and present me with the website.

What happens now with Firefox v3.0 is that it initially baulks, only to function again after FF had been re-started a couple of times. I know it?s a long shot and difficult to pinpoint. However
a sorrow shared is a sorrow halved, perhaps some reader has had equal experience and stumbled upon something useful.
L

Collapse -
"IE, yes it is removed from components,"

In reply to: all

Yup. As you are running a heavily modified OS then you may find new and annoying issues. It's fine here but I have a stock install.
Bob

Collapse -
SOLVED

As is the case in 99.9 of all stumpers, the culprit is mostly self-infliction. What started with trying to run both Firefox 2 and 3 in parallel before committing myself to 3 and the invariable mistakes, some of which involved Thunderbird, turned out to be what had hamstrung the system which not even the earliest available restore could fix. Cleaning out all of Mozilla's best and starting from scratch (the previous effort was only half-hearted by the looks of it) has everything shipshape again. Thanks all for your time, at least you got me on the right track.
L

Collapse -
(NT) Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for posting back.

In reply to: SOLVED

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.