Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

to me SCRIPS are a virus

by bently / December 29, 2009 12:05 AM PST

Using Win xp SP3 and Seamonkey.

I don't know if this is the right forum, but to me SCRIPS are a virus! (Point me to the correct site if there is a better forum)

I have had only problems with scripts. It has blocked so many sites I can't count them.

When I click on the SCRIPT icon at bottom right screen, I get up to a dozen choices, most that make no sense to me, so I do not know what to allow. (none of what to allow matches the site name)

If I click on allow all sites, I get a warning that it is UNSAFE TO DO THIS.

What is their purpose and should I / could I (safely) disable SCRIPT BLOCKER? (or allow all scripts)

I have my bank listed as "allowed" and still can not get emails they send thru the secured bank site.

I run into too many sites that will not load unless I click on the Script icon and allow them, but as mentioned above, sometimes I get too many options and I am not sure which to allow.

Does Scripts have any redeeming value???

Thanks

Ben

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: to me SCRIPS are a virus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: to me SCRIPS are a virus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi,Ben! Are You Referring To "NoScript" Program
by tobeach / December 29, 2009 3:48 PM PST

often mentioned/suggested here? Or a another copy cat program "Scrips"?
Note the real one uses a "T" (correctly) on the end.

I use it and find it very helpful but you're right that first you have to decide whether
1) The site REALLY needs to get broad access to your machine (usually just "reading the site" doesn't, only clicking thru to other functions or viewing some ad promotion on the main page needs script enabled).

2) Can you really trust the site not to mess w/your system & MORE SO..
can you trust the advertisers who pay the site for access to your machine who want to maximize profit from gathering info there or re-directing you to additional places for further draining? Remembering "there is no such thing as TOO MUCH profit" however obtained. Ever hear of Wall Street Bankers?

My self I use NoScript as follows:
Arrive at site & read what is there with out approving any script.
IF I want to continue & that may need script, I click the Script logo (bottom right) & from the numerous sources who want to run script on my machine I select ONLY The bottom most one for "allow". This SHOULD
BE the same name as the site itself (2nd party: You & Them). IF NOT,
then you have to wonder why different name! Could be legit or they're trying to hide who they really are.Remember...they don't think you can see them (via NoScript)!

Usually the rest are 3rd party (advertisers &/or info collectors-sellers) >>>These I leave blocked as rule of thumb..<<< but in SOME circumstances, SOME of these need access to follow you around within the site or to log you in & out and remember your password.
These (sometimes)needed ones, RARELY have names like Doubleclick/Mediastore/Admax/Adfarm/Facebook/GoogleAnalytics/Clicksor/
Adbrite/Kontera/hacks r us/etc. These you DO NOT want to give wide open access!!!

Remember...via scripts/active Xs they have as much access & control over your computer as you do at the keyboard, maybe more so since you can't see what they're doing & they do it in the blink of an eye!!

This is why, IF IN ANY DOUBT, give the ones you think legit "temporary allowed" status till you can be sure. Temp status allows them only THIS visit and blocks again next time when you'll decide again.

Once you know which ones are REALLY NEEDED on sites you visit frequently & trust, you can give them the "allow" status so you don't have to unblock them over & over. You can always re-block or un-block
as needed.

Some legit sites like Build-a-Bear are completely based on running scripts and won't work at all without them. These are few and far between. You can check w/ Site Advisor their safety record and then decide.

As with Sea Monkey, I always say "deny" cookies to the pop-up on first time visits to a site (often 1 time only look see's). HTH & Happy New Year!! Sandy Happy

Collapse -
OOps! Forgot To Mention...
by tobeach / December 29, 2009 4:25 PM PST

NoScript automatically BLOCKS scripts on ALL sites until you tell it otherwise, then it'll remember which are ok'd.

Re: Bank. Very likely, e-mails sent to you from your bank (really?), are
coming from a different URL (address) than the main bank site as far as NoScript can see therefore needs you to "allow" for that addie also. Even if main bank page is .com & mail is .https.

BE VERY CAREFUL....very few banks send anything important by E-Mail (maybe advertising) BUT most crooked Bank scams & banking trojans DO arrive via E-Mail!!! S Happy

Collapse -
by bently / December 29, 2009 11:15 PM PST

Thanks for your reply Sandy.

My problem with Scripts is I am at a loss what to allow if there is a name different than the site I want. For instance, DoubleClick and the others you named, is something I have always tried to stop, and if I see it as an option to ALLOW. I don"t. However there are so many names I do not recogonize.

As for the bank, I NEVER click on a "link" to go to the bank. I always type the address in myself, so I assume with the locked icon showing that I am safe. At the bank site there is an email icon that shows when I have an email from the bank. I have an email waiting for me to read but can not access it because Scripts is apparently blocking it. From the choices to allow, I can not find any name I want to allow. I show ALLOW for the bank, but the email will not open.

I NEVER respond to email from the bank if it is NOT from the secured bank site I have logged on to.

Thanks again

Have a Happy and Prosperout New Year!!

Ben

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.