Question

To many fonts

I will be buying a new iMac in a few weeks. My old G5 has a huge number of fonts, accumulated, I guess, when installing applications. There are so many that, for example, in Word, I have to scroll tediously to find one of only about 12 favourite fonts. one of which is Verdana. There are 80 fonts in the A to B part of the list of fonts, so I guess I have over a 1,000, or perhaps 2,000!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: To many fonts
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: To many fonts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Are you asking how to prevent fonts from being installed

when you add new applications like MS Office
OR
are you asking how to transfer the fonts that you want from the G5
OR
are you asking how to manage all your 1,000+ fonts when you transfer them to the new iMac?

- Collapse -
The first

Your first item (except I don't want to exclude MS Office fonts). I expect that the new iMac will come with a clean installation of the current OS with only the fonts installed by the software that comes with it. I do not plan to transfer any fonts from the G5.

- Collapse -
I'm not sure that you can prevent fonts

from being installed by other applications but you can certainly delete them using the Font Manager in OS X.

CNET Forums