Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

To install Norton ant 2006 i have been asked to install

by er_paez47 / March 19, 2007 12:49 AM PDT

HI,
To install Norton antivirus 2006 i have been asked to install windows installer, i already have the msi.dll(VERSION 3.0.3790.2180) but i know it is an old version, that was installed with win xp spk 2, ok it seen to me that i need to install the lattes version from the windows updates site wich is Vesion 3.1.4000.2435, OK last time i installed it i think this is what was giving me problems after installed cause i need to restart the computer and the computer state in a loop by just going to the menu that containt the "safe mode, safe mode with networking and so on as you know", ok so really does not matter what i do it always return to that menu and never goes to the desktop, ok i fixed the problem by reparing windows and now i can go to the desktop and have no lost what i had, ok so i decided to install Mcfee antivirus, this one does not ask me for installing the widnows installer last version, but i am wondering why if i install the windows installer version 3.1.4000.2435, when i reboot i got in a loop ? , I would like to install the lates version, i know it has a lot new fixes in there, i have other machines running win xp and they got the lates version of this msi.dll there, i don't know what is causing the problem that when this last version of msi.dll is intalled i got the loop problem and the computer does not go to the desktop, any help or any advice is very appreciated.

Computer Details
Mobo foxcom with 939 socket
processor Athlon 64 3200+
2 gib fo memory ddr pc 3200
HD 250 SATA I
nVIDIA FX5500 128 MB PCI EXPRESS
WINDOWS XP PRO SPK 2 OEM
Spysweeper
Superstep.exe (it is a utitlity from Foxcom websutefor their mobo to overclock, check temperatures, update bios etc)
If you need further info please advise

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: To install Norton ant 2006 i have been asked to install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: To install Norton ant 2006 i have been asked to install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It sounds to me like your Windows Installer is damaged
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 1:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
Do you think ?
by er_paez47 / March 19, 2007 3:18 AM PDT

Hi Mark,
Mark, i wanted to install Norton security 2006, and then i was prompted by norton to install the windows installler from the a link they suplied, that anyway was from the widnows update site. ok so since i knew this will create a problem for me i did not do that and instead of that, i installed Mcfee viruscan 2006, wich did not ask me for anything and everything was installed correctly. after that i uninstall Diskeeper 10, spySweeper and Roxio software(for my DVD burner) w/o a problem, and them i installed all of them back again w/o a problem, now do you think the msi.dll the old version can be corrupted ?, if so the link you gave will fix that or will uninstall it ? if this uninstall the old msi.dll, i have to have the new msi.dll(last version) in order to install it wich is version 3.1(v2) is this the idea ? what happen if i install the new msi.dll and my computer go back to the loop menu and does not go to the desktop ? then i guess i have to insert the cd an boot the comp with win xp to run the windows repair. right ?
You know i just giving you these details cause i want you to have an idea of what is going on, also i don't want to do a clean install cause i have a bunch things installed and if i do that then i have to install again all drivers, new bios update for the motherb and so on, computer is working fine but again what bothers me is that if i install updates from the windows update website when the computer reboots it will go into the loop and it won't go the desktop, so i guess the problem is with the windows installer how can i fix it having in mind that some others programs where installed with a previous version of the installer, if i update to the new windows installer then if i need to uninstall one of the application that was installed with the previous msi.dll i will probably have problems, i won't be able to uninstall, do you think that will be the case ?
Thanks
Ernest

Collapse -
It seems then
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Do you think ?

that it's Norton's that is giving the problems, and not the Windows Installer.

The Windows Installer Cleanup utility won't uninstall the Windows Installer, it just deletes configuration files that you select it to delete. Windows Installer retains configuration files for each application it installs, and if those configuration files become corrupted, then Windows Installer may fail when either trying to uninstall a particular application, or when trying to re-install an application. If you know which application is failing, then the cleanup utility allows you to delete the configuration files for that application. The only warning is, if you want to re-install that same application after using the Cleanup utility, you should re-install into the same location where it was before.

But in your case it seems that as you no longer want Norton's Security 2006, this won't be a problem. So, if this were me, I would leave things as they are.

I haven't updated my installer since I got this computer, over 4 years ago.

Not sure what you mean about Windows Updates, but if you want to be sure and not update Windows Installer, just goto the Windows Update web site using the link in Start > All Programs, and if the installer update is there, mark it as not to be downloaded.

Don't forget to do regular backups of those files and things you can't lose.

Mark

Collapse -
Mark thanks a lot for the advice
by er_paez47 / March 19, 2007 10:34 PM PDT
In reply to: It seems then

Now that explained what the clean up utility does i understand, that was A VERY GOOD EXPLANATION, THANKS A LOT.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.