Video Cameras forum

General discussion

To HD or not to HD

by videobymadfan / December 31, 2010 5:04 AM PST

I am trying to decide whether to go HD or stay with my Panasonic 3ccd model# PV-GS500. I use it primarily to video at the local race track and burn to DVD for sale. I am looking at Panasonic TM700 and if I burn to DVD on a DVD recorder will the video be better than what I get now? I am hoping that in the future the price will drop on equipment to burn an HD DVD cheap enough to sell. Or should I buy an HD minidv tape based camcorder and at least have an archive tape. I know either way I go if I burn to DVD it will be standard def. I need to purchase something eventually as the GS500 has been a workhorse since 2006 and can't live forever. Thanks for any input.....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: To HD or not to HD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: To HD or not to HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My son and I have the similar gs800.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2010 8:35 AM PST
In reply to: To HD or not to HD

And when they die we'll go HD. BUT and this is a biggy we are ready to handle the chores to turn the usual AVCHD content into Video DVD media. Many (or most?) are struggling and don't understand the supplied software in almost every box is best left sealed up.

I have yet to find a perfect solution so while I'll move up, there's more to this than most expected.
Bob

Collapse -
still need to know
by videobymadfan / December 31, 2010 11:27 PM PST

Can anyone answer the question regarding the video quality of HD once it is burned to a DVD recorder in standard def? If it isn't better then I may stay with what I have.

thanks
Frank

Collapse -
It depends...
by boya84 / January 1, 2011 9:16 AM PST
In reply to: still need to know

If the video file burned to the DVD (single layer or double layer) is something you expect to play using a "regular" DVD player, the resulting standard definition video file will be very clear standard definition video. This DVD file will be a very compressed, standard definition video, VOB file. In my opinion, high definition video (HDV format) rendered to standard definition for regular DVD player playback looks clearer that standard definition video (DV format) rendered to standard definition for regular DVD player playback. Whether it is clearer enough for you to justify the the expense of replacing the GS500 is up to you.

If the video file burned to the DVD (single layer or double layer) is something you expect to play using a computer AND the computer is capable of dealing with high definition video the resulting high definition video files *could* be AVI, MOV, MTS and a few other file types depending on how you choose to deal with the files from the camcorder. Mine are high quality h.264 MOV files.

If the video file burned by the Blu Ray burner to a Blu Ray disc is done, then the resulting Blu Ray disc can be used in a Blu Ray player connected to a HDTV.

The "HD DVD format" died when the smoke cleared from the high definition wars a couple of years ago. Blu Ray one. "HD DVD" went away.

Long term storage of video captured by flash memory and hard disc drive high definition camcorders is the current "holy grail". There is no cost effective means to do so (like there is with miniDV tape and HDV format video). I *think* the only real choice is RAID1 multi-drive arrays.

Collapse -
HDV vs AVCHD
by videobymadfan / January 1, 2011 10:27 PM PST
In reply to: It depends...

Thanks for the input....I intend to burn to standard DVD on a DVD recorder for playback on regular DVD player. You mentioned HDV format producing good video when burned to standard. How about AVCHD which is the format used on the Pnasonic TM700. I noticed that camcorder has no DV output only AV HDMI and USB. I assume I would have to use the AV output to my DVD recorder so do you know what quality I could expect from that. Again thanks for any input on this as I am trying to decide whether to go with a better Standard def 3ccd camcorder or make the move to High def now.

Collapse -
I have not used the TM700
by boya84 / January 2, 2011 8:28 AM PST
In reply to: HDV vs AVCHD

But I bought and used a Canon HF S100. I gave it to my son.

AVCHD is merely a newer, different, method of compressing The video is much sharper than any standard definition camcorder. The compression has its impacts, so fast action is different than the video captured by low compression DV/HDV. I won't say it is better or worse - just different.

Consumer flash memory and hard disc drive camcorders don't have a firewire port - as you have noticed. The data stream is less (because of the higher compression). If you import using HDMI, it is likely a "capture card" like those from Black Magic would need to be installed. The HDMI on some newer computers is video/audio-out only and there is no video/audio-in capability. Most folks would just use USB.

If you use USB, There are two ways - depending on the editing software and process you choose. One has the editing software capturing the video; the other has you copying video files from the camcorder to the computer then transcoding them to a format the video editor can deal with.

Once in the video editor, edit, save, then export - up until now the files are all in high definition. The LAST step is to use a DVD authoring application. This will allow you to make a menu, do backgrounds for the DVD menu/scene selection... and add the video. When your "burn" the VOB file for standard definition video playable in the regular video player is rendered and burned to the blank DVD.

The decision to get a "better Standard def 3ccd camcorder or make the move to High def" could be an easy one... what is your budget? Not many new standard definition 3ccd camcorders out there (Canon GL2, Panasonic AG-DVX100).

Collapse -
Let's pare this down to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2011 1:29 AM PST
In reply to: still need to know

"will the video be better than what I get now?"

In theory it will be. With all the possible variables there is a chance it won't be but then some nonHD camcorder could be better or worse. You seem to want a solid answer to what has far too many variables. The HD camcorder should yield better standard VideoDVD but so much depends on all the steps from the camcorder to VideoDVD that you could bend the curve and get the answer you want.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!