Desktops forum

General discussion

to get Blu-Ray? or not to get?

I just read a recent post on 5 reasons to wait to get a blu ray player...

well i have a question to ANYONE who thinks they know something.., i was pretty confident about this but now idunno...
i wanted to buy a computer and had my eye on an HP thats a quad-core, 3Gigs of ram, 640 HD, Nvidia graphic card with HDMI slot, etc... and ... da da da dam!! "Blue-Ray/HDDVD" drive.
its about $1400, i couldnt find a computer for that price that would be better..,

but after reading the article about blu ray i started thinking.. maybe i should wait.., and do i really need blu ray in my computer??
i was planning to buy a big TV and hoocking it up into the HDMI slot and using it with the TV tuner and a bunch of other stuff...

can someone give me some advice?? is it really worth it? and if their is another computer out their thats maybe cheaper or about the same price thats better...

Thanx!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: to get Blu-Ray? or not to get?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: to get Blu-Ray? or not to get?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your media pile

In reply to: to get Blu-Ray? or not to get?

Until the format war is over getting any player is just open to thought. The big plus is having a "dual-mode" player which can play either format for now and won't be lost on future media available. Of course the ports they support will be made as flexible as possible for the better units out there, but again you just don't know until you check it out on a 1-for-1 basis. If you can wait then do so. For actual computer use you don't need a HD-player of any sort unless you hook-up to the TV or better monitor for a media center complex. Yes, it is confusing and you're not alone in this matter. The value of any media center is up to you and your needs but IMHO I find it more gadgetry than anything else.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Take it from an actual HD-DVD/Blu-ray owner himself!

It may not be exactly essential to have the capability to watch high definition movies on your PC, but it sure is a lot of fun!

I say, if you're thinking about it at all, go for it! The improvements over standard DVD's are pretty big after all, and if you're doing a media center hookup to an HDTV, perfect. I actually did an upgrade to my own PC adding the exact same type of drive. I can tell the difference on a small, albeit high resolution screen, and I can hear the difference even with 2.1 channel sound and a good decoding program to properly downmix the audio.

If you were considering either, or both formats, you could get a standalone combo player that'd cost $800, buy two standalone players (one HD-DVD and one Blu-Ray) for a total of around $500, or you can just go for the computer which has both, for a price premium of likely only $200-300 over a machine without such a drive, and just like a PS3, it should play all future Blu-ray DVD's, as software upgrades should provide access to future Blu-ray profiles, which are one of the banes of the format, IMO. You're covered no matter who's publishing your movies, and you have a great computer you can probably game on quite well in your living room. What's not to love?

Collapse -
I plan on getting a Blu-Ray drive, because...

When buying a desktop computer on HP's web site, "Blu-ray / HD DVD player & Lightscribe SuperMulti DVD burner" is a +$250 option, plus you need to order a decent video card.

I plan on doing that, because my computer is my only DVD player. In addition, I have no plans to buy a high definition TV.

Collapse -
blue ray

as you might already know blue ray is the one!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!