Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

To do, or not to do. That is the question.

by seafox13 / September 21, 2004 8:05 AM PDT

Does anyone really think that plodding on without installing SP2 is really going to handicap their cyber-world? Judging by some of the horror stories circulating in forums, there seems to be a downside to this "critical" improvement, including a definite system slowdown.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: To do, or not to do. That is the question.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: To do, or not to do. That is the question.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: To do, or not to do. That is the question.
by Mark5019 / September 21, 2004 8:50 AM PDT

well if your systems clean your ok and as to slow downs again on comprimized systems which its good that it gives them probs let the owner fix it ot stay off line and stop spreading the probs.

ive installed sp2 on 40 + office comps that cant be down for long.
not 1 prob most likely the computers were clean yup the ones that have probs what garbage are they doing kazza imesh for a few.
i installed it and sytems faster.

and just like others when the blaster worm hit it was preventable by a patch that ms had put out but people didnt put in because they felt why ms updates suck 1% have probs well when you dont install patches you get probs

Collapse -
My installation went well!
by seafox13 / September 21, 2004 10:42 AM PDT

Yes Mark, I must admit that I installed it some time ago, admittedly on a very well maintained, AND CLEAN, system. I merely ask whether it is worth it, in the long run? I have learned never to install any drivers suggested from the MS Update site, but always download the CRITICAL updates. Perhaps the improved firewall and browser protection warrants it?

Collapse -
Hmm...the question may be " to be or not to be"
by John Robie / September 21, 2004 11:21 AM PDT

able to get future updates that you may need. As it looks, you will need SP2 for future updates to keep ole WinXP operating with minimum problems.
That could "handicap their cyber-world?" Wink

Collapse -
by Shepbob / September 21, 2004 11:32 AM PDT

I ordered the SP-2 disk from MS. I installed from it and it installed with no problems. I made sure I was parisite free before installing.

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / September 21, 2004 11:01 PM PDT
Does anyone really think that plodding on without installing SP2 is really going to handicap their cyber-world?

Depends on whom their is. For those that swagger on without the SP2 they will be left with the concentration of those who wish to invade systems still not patchedl and be left alone by those others who relish a challenge and is heavily concentrating on invading the SP2 users -- really a damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Judging by some of the horror stories circulating in forums, there seems to be a downside to this "critical" improvement, including a definite system slowdown.

I think if it was rendered down to the one specific cause we'd find the problem is either related to the idiot user or idiot computer. Think back -- and there are still many -- when WinXP was first being loaded of how many report there were that systems bombed simply because those boxes were antiques or users didn't know how.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) cowboy u disappoint me - idiots & antiques!
by AussiePete / September 22, 2004 12:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
An assessment hard for some to swallow.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2004 12:17 AM PDT

I agree with Cursorcowboy. So far I've tracked down a few SP2 issues to not be SP2 at all but the pre-existing conditions on the PC.

In closing, if you want a sad laugh, all the words written about SP2 causing problems were also well used for SP1.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: antiques is right :-(
by jonah jones / September 22, 2004 3:47 AM PDT

i've had friends over here ask me "why doesn't XP run well on my computer?" or "i installed XP and it's not working"

try telling someone who bought a computer 3 yrs ago for $1000 when 64M of ram and a 10G hard disk was a "lot" that it isn't "big/good/fast/modern enough for XP"...

Collapse -
Gurus and Pentium 6s
by AussiePete / September 23, 2004 4:29 AM PDT

I dont think Microsoft had the intension of producing an operating system that was tailor made for Gurus and Pentium 6's - if the masses are having problems I am sure Microsoft must be quite disappointed to say the least. After all it is the masses (which include so called idiots with antiques) that make up the $$$$$.

Collapse -
Re: Gurus and Pentium 6s, try another OS or PC then?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2004 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Gurus and Pentium 6s

We'll always have the choice of Linux or a Macintosh.

Make yours?

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) G'Day sh.t stirrer
by AussiePete / September 22, 2004 12:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
by LisaO / September 23, 2004 4:38 AM PDT

I have three networked systems and so downloaded the service pack and put it on CD. I have experienced no problems whatsoever and most definitely no system slowdown. I immemdiately went out to Microsoft Update and got the .net update as well as one critical update and put those on.

It allowed me to keep my present firewall and antivirus software which I had heard it would not. Don't believe all you read in forums. My guess is the slowdowns were caused for the most part by existing spyware or viri.

I don't say this very often but "Good on ya Microsoft!"

Collapse -
Another MS bone for the forum to chew on?
by phattdaddy / September 23, 2004 6:02 AM PDT

Scrolling through the MS Knowledge Base articles on the installation of SP2, it is stated that it is advisable to have all the MS Critical Updates installed on your system prior to downloading SP2, apparently this provides a better transition and installation of SP2.
This, apart from the exhortation to have a totally clean system makes quite a bit of sense so, Coryphaeus with his CD loaded with all the MS updates should be in the box seats!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.