Desktops forum

General discussion

To build my own.....

by Steepleboy04 / March 16, 2005 7:50 AM PST

I am searching the net for some good resources on how to build my own computer. I have a budget of about $1500, and I have a couple ideas of what I want out of the computer: I want to run mutiple programs, edit/create music and videos, and maybe some designing in circuits later on. I don't see myself doing any gaming.

I would like to assemble it myself (I've got a couple free weekends), but I am not completely against a company custominzing one for me. Monarch's site had an insane amount of items to look at....it was overwhelming, I didn't quite know where to start. A motherboard?

Any input???? Newbie here.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: To build my own.....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: To build my own.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
might i reccomend...
by ozos / March 16, 2005 8:45 AM PST
In reply to: To build my own.....

www.newegg.com

aside from that
here are some things a PC needs:

Motherboard - the basis of the system, everything is connected to this

Power Supply - don't skimp, you want a good unit from OCZ, Antec, Forton Source, Enermax, or TTGI Superflower, as this powers the computer, and is often the most common source of problmes

CPU - this does the majority of data processing in the system, again, don't skimp

GPU - here is where your graphics are done, PCIE or AGP 8x, this depends on the motherboard/CPU combination you choose

HDD - hard drives, your storage, how much you need?

RAM - memory, i suggest at least 1GB, running in 2x512 (2 512MB sticks, thus, dual channel (if you have a dual channel motherboard) and PC 3200 or faster (PC 3200 is what you need to run 1:1 with basically every chip out there (yes, including the 800FSB Intel chips) but you can get faster RAM if you'd like (no need unless your overclocking))

i'd suggest some of the following parts:

Abit AN8
$144 @ newegg
AMD Athlon64 3800+ (Socket 939)
$380 (OEM) or $385 (Retial) @ newegg
Thermalright XP-90
$49.99 @ newegg (get a 92MM Fan for this also)
1GB (2x512) PC 3200 DDR:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-220-037&depa=1
GeForce 6600nU PCIE
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=14-122-202&DEPA=1

and your choice of SATA hard drives
for the PSU i'd suggest one of the following:

Antec NeoPower 480W
OCZ Powerstream 520W

as for a case
you just have to pick one you like
same goes for optical drives, just pick one/ones with features you like

and you also have to choose if you want a floppy drive

Collapse -
Buidling your own....
by John Robie / March 16, 2005 9:19 AM PST

Take your time to learn as much as you can before trying to build.

I suggest this new free course that CNet will conduct on March 28:

http://courses.help.com/

Collapse -
also
by GMartin2R / March 16, 2005 3:49 PM PST

use this forum too. once you decide on a rough layout of what you want post it here. i did that and found at least a couple potential problems that i was able to avoid. but also i ended up going a different way than i had originally planned. lol... but yea newegg is great for pricing. sometimes tigerdirect can ahve some deals but they seem to have somewhat of a not so great reputation aroudn here so i guess use sparingly.

things to research; chipset, PSU design, especially plus check reviews on pretty much everything that you're thinking of putting in there. look for compatability issues and those sorts of thigns...

Collapse -
CPU, MOTHERBOARD, AND SPECS.....
by Steepleboy04 / March 22, 2005 7:29 AM PST

I am reading reivews online for different products. So I have some questions now..

ATHLON64 VS P4?

P4 PERFORMS BETTER IN LAME MP3 ENCODING AND DIVX ENCODING; WHILE THE ATHLON64 PERFORMS BETTER IN XVID.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR AN END USER LIKE MYSELF? WHICH APPLICATIONS WILL BE BETTER HANDLED BY THE P4 VS THE ATHLON64?

THESE ARE SPECS FOR THE DFI "855GME-MGF" i855GME Chipset Motherboard For Intel Socket 479 CPU THAT I FOUND ON NEWEGG.

WHAT DO THESE SPECS MEAN IN TERMS OF APPLICATION AND EXPANSION?

Specifications:
Supported CPU: Socket 479 Intel Pentium M/Celeron M processor
Chipset: i855GME + 6300ESB
FSB: 400MHz
RAM: 2x DIMM DDR 333 Max 2GB
Slots: 1x AGP 4X, 3x PCI, 1x PCI-X
Ports: 2x PS/2, 1x LPT, 1x COM, 1x VGA, 4x USB2.0(Rear 4), 1x RJ45, 1x 1394, Audio Ports
IDE: 2x ATA 100 up to 4 Devices
SATA: 2x SATA with RAID 0/1
Onboard Video: Integrated VGA Engine
Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC655 6-CH Audio
Onboard LAN: RTL8110S Gigabit ethernet controller
Onboard 1394: 2x IEEE 1394 by VIA VT6307
Form Factor: MicroATX

Collapse -
AMD vs P4
by GMartin2R / March 22, 2005 4:01 PM PST

in general terms if your'e going to be doing a lot of audio work and or photo editing, the P4 cpu will do better. AMD's primarily shine best when it comes to gaming performance and things like that...

ok now to the board...

i think the socket 479 is the newest one for intel so you should be able to go pretty high there.

chipsets i think are a bit old.

FSB about half what you'd want of you're going to be going with a fast cpu. imo it's best to have as fast of FSB as you can. in the case of intel that's 800 Mhz currently.

the ram is also very limited. at most you can have 2 sticks of ram on that. also it only supports PC2700 ddr ram. the sort of standard ram is pc3200 or DDR 400 so you're a bit limited there.

slots: also limited in the graphics area. most of the better video cards need to have an AGP 8x or the new slot PCI-Express X-16 slot. that's only got an AGP4x so your'e limited in what you could do there. only having the 3 PCI slots can be very limiting too.

the ports seem ok. it might be a good move to get some usb ports for the front of the comp but that's optional. unless you plan on using IDE devices i'd reccoment using the SATA; or at least use them for the primary drives. i use SATA for both my HD and DVD-RW.

so you really looking at a board taht small? that's a rpetty small board...

Collapse -
socket 479
by Steepleboy04 / March 22, 2005 10:46 PM PST
In reply to: AMD vs P4

Hey thanks for the help. I'm actually learning something about hardware having to review all these items...

Since I won't be doing any gaming on this pc, but I do plan to be messing around with MP3's and photo editing, the P4 would be a better choice. But how about recording dvd's?

I posted the socket 479 because I really don't know what is standard for my desired applications, or what the specs would mean when it comes to performance. I realize now that something offering a faster FSB with more RAM is a must.

I'm not sure how many devices I'm going to be running, other than hard drive and a dvd-rw...

Any suggestions on a couple boards?

Collapse -
socket 479
by GMartin2R / March 23, 2005 5:12 AM PST
In reply to: socket 479

i thought something didnt quite seem right. i just looked at the intel cpu that i was thiking about getting and it's a LGA775 socket cpu. i was looking at a 3.2 Ghz prescott core P4 chip so that might be something esle to watch for. i'd look for at least a P4 530 chip or higher. the 3.2 is a 540 chip. they do run very warm though so if you go with a prescott core cpu be sure you've got good case cooling. especially if you're running a video card that generates much heat.

dont know about the dvd recording. my guess would be it would hold the same as with audio but i'm not sure. wahtever the case though either make of cpu given a high enough speed will do the job nicely. meaning an AMD 3500+ will do the job nicely as will a P4 of the same speed.

if you're going to be doing audio work, i'd recommend getting a quality sound card, which will take a pci slot. i've got an audigy 2 zs gamer and it's an excellent card.

unless you've got a good reason to go micro-atx i'd probably go standard atx form. gives you more room to work inside the case and more room for heat dissipation too if you do go with a prescott cpu.

as fro boards; umm, i guess head to newegg and search for boards that are socket LGA775 compatible. then look at the form factor(atx, m-atx). the chipset is somewhat hard to nail down for me currently. i think the newest chipset from intel at least is the 915 series. i was looking at a 915p chipset.

if you can find a board that supports it, it might be worth investing in dual channel DDR too. i'm a bit fuzzy on how it works but it gives you roughly a 10% increase in performance vs single channel DDR. pc3200 is the absolute min that you should go for. i'd look into at least DDR433 or DDR500 and initially have at least a gig of it. and yea an 800Mhz FSB is very important to have so the FSB isnt the choke point on the computer.

Collapse -
AMD vs P4
by jcrobso / March 23, 2005 1:22 AM PST
In reply to: AMD vs P4
Collapse -
CPU & Motherboard
by John Robie / March 23, 2005 6:14 AM PST

Hi Steepleboy,

GMartin suggest the Intel socket LGA775 and to look at the P4 530 or 540 . I agree with the Intel socket LGA775 and suggest as an alternate to P4 5xx, the new P4 630 (3.0GHz) $237, or the P4 640 (3.2GHz) $288, with the 64-bit technology (EM64T) for the future, and also with the PCI-Express bus technology. The 6xx series also has 2MB of L2 cache, whereas the 5xx series have 1MB, 533, or less depending on other varables.

For a motherboard to go along with the LGA775 socket & lets say the $288 P4 640:

$236 - ASUS P5AD2-E Premium i925XE Chipset +ICH6R

$224 - ABIT "Fatality AA8XE 925XD

$208 - ASUS P5AD2-E Deluxe i925XE Chipset +ICH6R

$196 - Intel "BOXD925XFCV2LK i925XE Chipset

$169 - Intel "BOXD925XCVLK 925X Chipset

$147 - Intel "BOXD915PBLL 915P chipset

$148 - ASUS "P5GDC Deluxe i915P +ICH6R

$115 - GIGABYTE "GA-81915P Duo Prov (Rev1.1)" 915P chipset

I would also add more cooling like for instance a $34 Artic-Cooling Freezer 7 CPU Cooler for socket LGA775, Model ACFRZ7

The PCI-Express technology is slowly replacing the PCI bus and also the AGP bus for video cards.

Features of the Intel

Collapse -
oh yea... hehe...
by GMartin2R / March 23, 2005 2:47 PM PST
In reply to: CPU & Motherboard

forgot amd didnt have the monopoly on 64bit cpu's. lol... yea defintiely look into the 64bit cpu's.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!