Storage forum

General discussion

To Backup a PC

by wrytat / January 17, 2006 8:02 AM PST

Hi, my company has a PC that stores lots of data files, applications and procedures. We'd like to look for a device that can be scheduled to backup the PC daily. And better still, if the hard disk crash, we can recover all the previous settings, files and application immediately.

Is there such a device available in the market? Care to recommend?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: To Backup a PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: To Backup a PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Standalone PC
by wrytat / January 17, 2006 4:37 PM PST
In reply to: Some names, links.

Thank you for the reply. I've read the articles that you've posted, but Veritas Bare Metal Restore seems more suitable for server and system with many users. The PC that I want to backup is a standalone PC running on Windows XP Professional, with 1 user only. Is there any hardware or software that can help me do that?

Thank you for your links by the way. It may be useful for my server.

Collapse -
Look up ACRONIS
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2006 10:02 PM PST
In reply to: Standalone PC

The first words I read were "my company". So I looked for company solutions.

Collapse -
A less expensive alternative
by wcompton / January 20, 2006 5:20 AM PST
In reply to: Standalone PC

I have found Veritas to be expensive and difficult to use. Currently I'm using the back-up utility in windows and backing up to a USB external hard drive.
The one problem is that I have found the external drives to be somewhat unreliable. I have had 3 out of 10 frives (from a number of different manufacturers) fail completely. I think it is a good idea to rotate backups between at least two external hard drives. If you have a lot of music and pictures you do not want to loose, this system would be a good way to ensure the safety of your data.

Collapse -
The only problem with externals is
by VAPCMD / January 20, 2006 2:14 PM PST

there aren't many products out there that can do partition restores from files stored an an external USB drive. What I want to do is to boot off a floppy disk or CD, go to 'partition restore from image' and restore a working image to a corrupt (or blank) C: drive. Them I'm right back in business in 10 or 15 minutes without reinstalling the OS or any other software.

Acronis True Image 9.0 may do what I've described above but I haven't had the opportunity to test it as fail-safe under regular use.

Call me lazy if you want but the last thing I want to do is spend my time reinstall the OS and all the APPs and the DATA.

Collapse -
SCSI Backup Tape Solutions
by dcarp757 / January 20, 2006 11:55 PM PST
In reply to: To Backup a PC

I work for Cybernetics located in Va. We manufacture and sell commercial type backup solutions. Our speciallty is data backup tape storage devices. We deal with almost every Fortune 100 company you can think of. SCSI is the technology that our products for data transfer. This is a relatively new technology, but is fast. We have many products from low end solutions to very high end solutions. A relativly new technology is iSCSI, which is the transfer of data over TCP/IP protocols. This is nice because the backup tape does not have to be directly connected to the backup server, instead your office could be in Cali. and the backup would take place in Fl. for example via the internet. Explore these sites.
http://www.cybernetics.com/
http://paralan.com/aboutscsi.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISCSI

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?