Phones forum

General discussion

Tmobile Reception in Bay Area, CA?

Hi,
I'm currently a verizon subscriber and really have loved the service. A few years ago I had cingular and was having tons of problems as they got popular. I currently am considering tmobile for their 1 year contracts and better phone selection. I have heard a mix of experiences.. from no problems to can't get reception in their house... Please share your experiences so I can see whether I would survive with Tmobile. It's no use having a phone if you can't even use it.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tmobile Reception in Bay Area, CA?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tmobile Reception in Bay Area, CA?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Tmobile Reception in Bay Area, CA?

In reply to: Tmobile Reception in Bay Area, CA?

I say try the pre-paid service first to see if you'll like the service before signing a contract. While I don't know how T-Mobile is in California, but it's spotty where I live in Gary, Indiana. Chicago has been known to have static and sometimes overloaded circuits with T-Mobile. Cincular is horrible here too, and if they're able to acquire all of AT&T, I don't expect coverage to increase that much. I personally won't go with T-Mobile simply because of the lack of coverage,and they're the worst of the 3 national GSM carriers at increasing coverage. And most people I know around my area can't use their T-Mobile phones in their homes, unless home is that close to a cell phone tower.

Collapse -
I agree about tmobile in Chicago, and on the road

In reply to: Re: Tmobile Reception in Bay Area, CA?

between here and Colorado. I've switched now to Sprint and Cingular (two phones), and finding Sprint to be pretty good.

Collapse -
Re: Tmobile Reception in Bay Area, CA?

In reply to: Tmobile Reception in Bay Area, CA?

Hi,

If you had trouble with Cingular in the past, I wouldn't recommend switching to T-Mobile, because (long story short) T-Mobile uses Cingular's Cell Towers in the State of California. With that said there is the possibility that Cingular's service has been improved since you last used them. So I would agree with the previous person and say try out T-Mobile/Cingular's service and see whether it works for you, I think they have a 30 day refund policy?!? One more thing to think about: it is known that Verizon Wireless has some of the best coverage out there (eg I was hiking Half Dome in Yosemite and a gentleman was talking on his Verizon phone all the way to the top!). Like you said, having a phone isn't very useful without service. Just for your reference I hear that in the SF Bay Area that Verizon Wireless and AT&T Wireless' Digital (TDMA) service is the best. Hope this helps.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.